Should i be concerned???

Travis

Equipment
B6100D, finish mower, flail mower, back blade, post hole drill
Jan 31, 2015
Everett, PA
Hey all, I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I feel the need to get an answer as soon as possible. I own a B6100 standard trans, 4-Wheel drive, sportin' an FEL. I know they claim HP to the rear PTO at or around 12, but I think It does better than that.

With that all said, the problem I am having is when I add an attachment to the rear PTO and throttle up, (with the attachment running) I notice the exhaust is darker and smells differently... Also, I sometimes see bits of soot blowing out... Now I understand there will be a difference with the exhaust between operating an attachment and sitting at idle, but this seems to be a bit excessive. Does this mean something serious, or what should I do about it?

Thanks all for your continued support!!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Could be lots of things. First I would check the air intake and filter. Also exhaust to make sure it is clear.

After that fuel injectors and such.

How many hours?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have a clean air filter, correct amount of oil. and correct type of oil, it's probably just engine "slobber". You indicated it has plenty of power. That's the best sign. It's just been setting idling too long. Needs some work.

With that attachment on, put it to work. It needs a good workout. It might belch a little more black smoke, and a few droplets of oil, but with a good workout it will clear up. The longer you work it and the harder you work it the better for it.

If you want to learn more about google "diesel slobber"--- see what you come up with.

Travis

Equipment
B6100D, finish mower, flail mower, back blade, post hole drill
Jan 31, 2015
Everett, PA
Hey Thanks!! Jim L., The hour meter quit working at 1111.4 back in 19??... I have put about 50 hours on her since I had it (FEB,2015).

And D2CAT, I think after today's workout, I'm gonna tear things down (within reason) and check the obvious. Thanks all for the advice!!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Have you ever ran any fuel conditioner? It will help clean any carbon that might be built up, help to remove any water and/or algae that could be in your tank and give your entire fuel system a good cleaning.

The fuel now days is so sorry compared to what it was years ago it pays to run some kind of additive. especially in a older engine that was designed to run on high sulfur fuel. Conditioner really isn't just a winter time thing any more. Not only does it keep the fuel system clean but also provides some of the missing lubrication it needs.