Rusted Rim Fix-able?

jetattblue

Equipment
BX1800; L2550
Mar 14, 2018
Arlington, TX
I am fixing up a 2wd L2550. It has 15x3.00D rims on the front. Overall, the rims are in pretty good shape. But, the hole in the rim for the tube valve to stick through is rusted out. It is very jagged around the hole where the rust has eaten it away, and I am concerned that the jabbed edge will just cut the tube once I install it.

Is there a simple way to fix this? Can I just smooth the edges? Or, do I need to just get a new rim? The rims from Kubota are pretty expensive, so I would prefer to salvage these.

Thunder Fish

Equipment
ZL2202DT-M
Oct 21, 2017
100 Mile House BC,Canada
You could also fill the hole by welding it than drilling out to the size you need, one trick is to put a heavy pc of aluminum as a backing plate than proceed to fill the hole.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
If you're welds are not all that pretty. Weld the hole in complete, grind it smooth enough that it won't damage a new tube. Could even add spot putty if it's real bad ;) . Then just drill a new hole somewhere else is sound metal. That way if there is a nick or porosity in the weld it won't effect the valve stem.

I'm not trying to imply that your welds are bad. But we've all seen both ends of the scale on this forum. :eek: