Run away diesel

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
How likely is it that a Kubota engine will run away? I've heard the oil seperator filter can get condensation and freeze causeing a engine run away. Just wondering.
Thanks,
Doug

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If i remember correctly it's the models without the oil separator that were problematic, but I'm not 100% up on this subject.
Address the issue with your dealer, they should be able to give you an exact answer! ;)

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
I don't know if my tractor has the cold weather update. I bought it used. Dealer service dept didn't offer much information. I would think that running the serial number would provide that information.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
They all had oil separators, but the update was to replace them with an insulated version that was less likely to freeze up. Look to see if yours has lines wrapped in foil. All the dpf related stuff is still under warranty, and yes it is in your dealer's best interests to run the serial number to see if it is up to date. This thread has some pictures, and I believe the fix in the L01 tractors is similar to the L60s

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17918

You can also contact Kubota directly and they will let you know if there are any outstanding campaigns on your tractor.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They all had oil separators, but the update was to replace them with an insulated version that was less likely to freeze up. Look to see if yours has lines wrapped in foil. All the dpf related stuff is still under warranty, and yes it is in your dealer's best interests to run the serial number to see if it is up to date. This thread has some pictures, and I believe the fix in the L01 tractors is similar to the L60s

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17918

You can also contact Kubota directly and they will let you know if there are any outstanding campaigns on your tractor.
One of my engines has the PVC valve but it's piped directly to the intake.
I take it when they changed it to an emissions engine they added the oil separator. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
One of my engines has the PVC valve but it's piped directly to the intake.
I take it when they changed it to an emissions engine they added the oil separator. ;)
Well at the time that thread was written, I only just barely knew how my tractor worked much less any of the other older and contemporary models. The B3350 is another breed of cat in design. The more I learn the more I realize I don't know. :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
sheepfarmer,, you are a wealth of information, !

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
Thanks everybody for all the good information. My filter housing does not have the aluminium foil on it. So I need to look into getting a upgraded system.