Rubber Floor Mat

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Planning for spring project, remove floor mat to clean well underneath. Better to remove forever and do rhino lining or similar or simply buy replacement clips to replace mat? I figure it should be removed at least twice a year to clean/inspect under it?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Planning for spring project, remove floor mat to clean well underneath. Better to remove forever and do rhino lining or similar or simply buy replacement clips to replace mat? I figure it should be removed at least twice a year to clean/inspect under it?
I suggest that you sell, or discard, the rubber mats, and buy a can of "Herculiner" at lowes.
"Herculiner" is Rhino like material that you can apply yourself, using a rough nap roller.

Reactions: 2 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
My “step” as they call it rotted out because of the rubber mat not letting water evaporate. I bought a new “step” and had it Linex’d for $80’
This was on a BX25D. Had to re cut a hole as the new step was a bit different.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It depends on your climate and how your tractor is stored. If it dries out, no problems. If it stays wet, then you’re better to remove the mat. Where I live, I can pull my tractor into the barn and it will completely dry out between uses. My last tractor went 22 years with a rubber mat that was never removed. And no rust.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
My “step” as they call it rotted out because of the rubber mat not letting water evaporate. I bought a new “step” and had it Linex’d for $80’

I remember seeing your original post on that. Was that last year? Or farther back? How's it holding up?

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I remember seeing your original post on that. Was that last year? Or farther back? How's it holding up?
All good! That Line-x is tough stuff. No scratches at all and I’m even using my ice cleats…I did the job in May 2022.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I opted for Herculiner for my restoration.
The recommended applicator is a stippling sponge roller.
This picture is applying the first coat to the new floor I'd made.
Two applications are recommended and that can you see was enough to do this floor and the floor of the backhoe.
It's pretty tough stuff and dirt washes off easily.

1673867388082.png

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I suggest that you sell, or discard, the rubber mats, and buy a can of "Herculiner" at lowes.
"Herculiner" is Rhino like material that you can apply yourself, using a rough nap roller.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like the best bet is to buy the quart for $36. May do this next spring.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for the tip. Looks like the best bet is to buy the quart for $36. May do this next spring.
Yup!
The quart will do the job.
Get a rough nap 6" roller, and a throw away brush also.
The stuff is tough, and water/moisture can never get underneath.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, it is tough but NOT invincible !
it can be sliced if you toss steel into the box of a pickup, then the box rustrots out, then you're into some serious bucks to replace the floor and front panel of the box...

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
That turned out looking nice!

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
it can be sliced if you toss steel into the box of a pickup, then the box rustrots out, then you're into some serious bucks to replace the floor and front panel of the box...
Duh…you can ruin anything with abuse…

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
I don't consider tossing steel into a pickup to be 'abuse', it's what they were designed for...well, originally... now they're just expensive pseudo station wagons.....

Frankie P

Equipment
2501 tractor rtv500
Jan 16, 2023
NC
Touch up scratches and gouges.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A rubber mat in the bottom of a pickup is a guarantee of box floor rust out!
Especially in your climate !

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
it's NOT the climate...it's the millions of tons of SALT 'they' toss onto the roads... !!!
don't use a rubber mat BUT the factory installed 'box liner' has been fine since '97.
floor is solid.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
it's NOT the climate...it's the millions of tons of SALT 'they' toss onto the roads... !!!
don't use a rubber mat BUT the factory installed 'box liner' has been fine since '97.
floor is solid.
Yeah, salt is the culprit. My comment assumed that the tractor isn’t used on public roads that are salted. My truck has had a rubber mat for years with no issues, but they don’t use salt here. The snowplow trucks scatter cinders or sand, not salt. On the interstates, they use a magnesium chloride solution that is less corrosive than salt.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
floor is solid.
"It's NOT the climate"

DUH !!!!!
Just WHY do they toss millions of tons of SALT onto the roads?
NOT climate related?
I am perplexed!

Salt benefits ?
(a) Salt extends road surface life?
(b) Salt kills roadside landscaping?
(c) Salt adds a nice tutone look to black cars?
(c) Salt provides mega profits to car manufacturers, and dealerships?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yeah, salt is the culprit. My comment assumed that the tractor isn’t used on public roads that are salted. My truck has had a rubber mat for years with no issues, but they don’t use salt here. The snowplow trucks scatter cinders or sand, not salt. On the interstates, they use a magnesium chloride solution that is less corrosive than salt.
"magnesium chloride" ??????
For medical/digestive issues....
Roads/highways....not so much!;)
MUCH better to use Calcium Chloride for roads & highways!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: Just WHY do they toss millions of tons of SALT onto the roads?

because the vast majority of the people on the roads do not KNOW how to drive, it's that simple.
instead of actually teaching/training people HOW to drive in snow/ice, it's cheaper and easier to toss salt onto the roads.
it also creates a HUGE demand for new vehicles every 4-6 years !
it's also killed a few lakes in Ontario.....