RTV900...bought one on auction...

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
So I bought a 2011 RTV900W9 with 1400 hrs on it for $2500 on an auction site. I think I got a good deal.

They didn't start it...no key...so they have no idea if it works.

But! And I did confirm this...thanks Messicks parts gods...it uses the same key as my BX25D.

So... tomorrow me and my friend are driving a truck and trailer three hours north to Chehalis, WA to pick it up.

Best case scenario it turns over and fires up. Slightly worse scenario it needs jumped. Slightly more worse it needs fuel and filters.

Bringing a come along or two in case we need to encourage it to get on the flatbed and up the ramps.

Short of a can of diesel, filters and a jump starter box and cables...any thoughts on what to bring or check out?

Looks like it has the same engine as my BX...all the filters are the same. Enclosed cab. Hydraulic dump bed.

Thanks! Mac

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
And buried in the pickup notes is unit has a bad transmission...so that will be an adventure to fix... hopefully it will roll enough to load.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Myself speaking, I won't pay a dime for something that I have no idea what it's condition is. ESPECIALLY an RTV900. But I'm not a gambler.

That transmission is expensive, worst case, have to replace it...about $5500. And that'a ASSuming the engine runs. If not, additional expense.

In great condition, they're bringing about $3500-$4500 in this area. We traded for one last month, engine ran on 2 cylinders, only had 250 psi on center cylinder (likely overheated), they paid $750 for it and auctioned it for $925.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Ok...drove up super early with my friend Bob this morning and picked up the RTV. At the gate the Richie Brothers guys gestured off into a sea of equipment and said yeah we think it's over there...we found some...not ours...called them up...they drove out in a monster fork lift and then Bob spotted it behind another fence. I said say, hey since you're here with that big ole forklift can you just plop that RTV right on our trailer...and he did...we strapped it down and drove three hours home.

Got home...rolled it off the trailer. Checked the diesel...looked clean...almost full tank... battery was clearly dead. Hooked up our spare gate battery...starter kinda turned over and clicked...hooked it up to the BX and it did the same thing. Disconnected the RTV battery and it roared to life. Sounds great. Revved up just fine. No smoke. Dump bed went straight up and down. But it wouldn't go into gear.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the tower off the transmission where the linkage is and try the fork alignment trick that folks have on YouTube.

And as a hail mary I am putting the original battery on a charger...

It came with a free pair of moldy gloves and a pry bar placed next to the transmission linkage...hint...hint...imho.

-Mac

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
More pics...add a fan belt to the carnage. Not a good sign imho...but the oil and hat filters look pristine...need to swap them and cut them open...

And the air filter... everything is coated in concrete dust...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Interesting, keep us updated. I would really like to see this work out, as I recently purchased a turd sight unseen.
Sorry Sean.:D

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Not the linkage it seems...gears look clean. My guess is the clutch disks and valves. Time to find the WSM.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Got the RTV to move on it's own power...changed the fan belt and took the HST filter off...and surprise...there is a chunk of sheet metal inside...going to get a filter cutter tommorow and get pictures. New filter and a gallon of fluid and she started to creep forward and backwards. Still think there is something else wrong...but progress.

Luckystars

Equipment
M5950 M1840A RTV900 CLUB CAR CARRY ALL 1
Mar 1, 2018
Webster FL USA
Is it sheet metal or could it be clutch or brake material? I had this issue with bad brakes and the material plugging up the hydraulic pump on my M5950.
I just bought the same RTV900 from a local equipment guy and I'm trying to make a dump bed for it. Could you give me the lift cylinder open and closed length and the diameter. Dealer wants $450 for one. Surplus place wants $68 but I'd like to be sure about the size.
There is a spring loaded valve under an allen plug on the back of the transmission I think it's called HST system. My RTV was like the brake was always on. I found a good write up on all the linkage adjustments for throttle, HST, ect. It helped mine tremendously.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-15432.html

I adjusted the valve to just tight enough to put tension on the spring and an 1/8 turn more. It was at 1 full turn.
I would go through all these adjustments before pronouncing the transmission dead.
Good luck with this project.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Ok... finally had some time to rip it open. First off...I topped off the hydraulic fluid and it moved! Just a tiny bit. But it moved!

I was going to check pressure on the ports...but then I cracked the drain and a silver sludge gooped out.

Question to the peanut gallery...replace these swash plates or dig deeper? No smoking gun yet...thinking the sludge game deeper inside.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Well I think I need to pull the whole transmission. Pretty sure the chunks on the oil plug didn't come from the back.