Rtv overheating

Jimmy T

Equipment
z330
Mar 14, 2016
graham, texas
Ok gentlemen need some help.....I have an rtv 1140 cpx that is overheating....have changed thermostat to no avail. I am also getting lits of moisture out of tailpipe but have no water in oil....any suggestions

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Have you checked the radiator for blockage? If the removable screen is clear, you might have dirt in the radiator fins. It isn't always apparent. Wash it out good with a low pressure hose. Your garden hose with your finger squirting the water should do fine. I like to remove my radiators and clean them.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Water out of the tailpipe for a gasser is a good sign......not so much for a diesel.
I am thinking you have a small pinhole in the head gasket. Do as Rent said - get the radiator clean as a whistle, then recheck.

does is heat up quickly? or take a while.....5-10 minutes? Pop the top on the radiator, fire up the engine and shine a light in the radiator .....any bubbles?

mailmanfarmer

Equipment
RTV1140, BX2679
Jan 9, 2024
SWMo
Water out of the tailpipe for a gasser is a good sign......not so much for a diesel.
I am thinking you have a small pinhole in the head gasket. Do as Rent said - get the radiator clean as a whistle, then recheck.

does is heat up quickly? or take a while.....5-10 minutes? Pop the top on the radiator, fire up the engine and shine a light in the radiator .....any bubbles?

mailmanfarmer

Equipment
RTV1140, BX2679
Jan 9, 2024
SWMo
I bought a used RTV1140 several years ago (2010 model). Second year would get into the red area. Had to idle 10 minutes to cool down. Did all the usual things, including removing the radiator and deep cleaning it. Nothing helped. I removed the black plastic cover and left it of ( because I had been taking it off so much). On day I checked to see if the electric fan was actually running. NO IT WAS NOT!! Now I admit I violated an unknown number of safety rules, so don't start in on me (!!!). But since my frustration level was hotter than the engine temp (and the fan blade are plastic) I reached underneath the radiator and flicked a blade with my index finger. Low and behold - the fan started, the temp went down and cycled between low and high normal even the the outside temp was in the nineties. Worked good for a few days, then the Grinch was back and the fan wan NOT rinning.. Safety in mind, I broke of a short section of weed stem off and reached back underneath the radiator and flicked the fan with the stck. Voila, fan started again. I went to the house and looked a up a new motor on the M_ss_ck website. Holy Batsh_t, Batman, about $400 +/- delivered. My scottish granpa started spinning in his grave. Took off fan motor/blade/ housing and went to local muffler shop/garage/used car junk yard for sympthy. Owner said 'follow me' and headed to the used foreign car section, opened the hood on a Toyota(?) and low and behold there were too electric cooling fans mounted side-by-side behind the radiator. One of them looked just like mine. I said 'how much', he said 'I'm going to crush the car next time the guy comes by - get a screw driver and a pair of pliers and take them off and go away and stop bothering me!!' So I did, took them home and determined which on turned the sam direction as mine ( major speedbump ) --- plastic blades were set up to push instead of pull as like a Kubota. Had to disassemble the motor from the mounting frame and remove the fan. Since I had everything apart, I removed the bad motor from the genuine Kubota frame and used the genuine Kubota fan blade and reassembled everything - Kubota frame, Kubota fan blade and foreign car 12v motor. I used some jumper wires to a battery to make sure it worked and spun the right direction, then reistalled the unit back into the 1140, buttoned it up

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Now I admit I violated an unknown number of safety rules, so don't start in on me (!!!).
Hello, @mailmanfarmer. My name is Spraynard; I'm the forum safety police and I am Well-known. You performed some very un-safe diagnostic procedures.

I hope you will be more safety conscious in the future because safety is extremely important on this forum. I hope you do not feel as though I'm starting in on you but what you did was very un-safe and we here on the forum want everyone to be extremely safe.

As always, safety first. Unless safety gets in the way of production. Then it's safety third, or seventh... whichever, as long as production goals are met and the owner of the company can afford to refuel their private air fleet.

Reactions: 1 user

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Listen, AI is here to stay. That cat is out of the bag.

I just want it to be safe.

(y)

unhdsm

Equipment
B7500
Jan 9, 2024
Bradford, VT
I don't know about 'Bots's but I've 2 different brands that had seemingly clean radiators but when I took them apart saw that all the dirt was just pushed into the back. No way to know without taking it out.