Rotary Cutter and Bucket for my MX5800

Tennman

Jun 3, 2015
Coldwater, TN
Greeting's all, just discovered this site. Just purchased a MX5800 for our property here in southern Tenn. The land is hilly and rocky but I've already bush hogged most of the rocks with the old tractor in our fields. :eek: But want a quality cutter because they seem to re-sprout. I'm reading mixed reviews on Landpride. I'll be purchasing the heavier/higher quality unit whatever I go with. I think I'm leaning towards the Bush Hog or Woods, but I don't have any first hand experience with either. Our last bush hog lasted over 20 years, so I really don't care about saving $500, but don't want to blow and extra $2,000 either.

Also, the dealer does not recommend I go with a 7' cutter. You guys agree, even if I get a heavier bucket with the loader? There are roads all over our property up and down hills and thru the woods and many pretty steep sections I'll be maintaining. Part of me would like the extra width, but not if it's a handful. And on top of that, I won't be buying an inexpensive, light 7' cutter either, so does that also point towards the 6'?

Sorry, I'm sure this comes up all the time here. I used the Search, but would like some direct advice.

Also, the loader has the standard bucket. I've heard about an upgraded bucket with replaceable edge? Since we deal with rocks is that a smart upgrade. I will not be using the loader to handle soft materials like manure or landscaping materials.

After 25 years using an old gas Ford 3000 I'm sure I'm going feel like I'm in heaven with this new rig. Thanks for the inputs!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We use Woods and Land Pride cutters, both good brands. I use a RCR2672 on my L5740 which is essentially your tractor with a few more bells and whistles and it's held up to years of heavy use cutting grass, brush and saplings, cutting capacity is 3". I looked at a 7' single spindle and it's really awkward, I'd do an 8' twin spindle before the 7'.

I have the HD bucket with bolt on cutting edge, second tractor with it and it holds up great.

Pappy

May 13, 2013
Dallas, Texas
How many acres will you be cutting? I agree that a 7' cutter is huge and awkward. I'd much rather use an 8' twin spindle. Will a 6' one even cover your tire tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne64SS

Equipment
'13 MX5100HST, '82 B7100HST
May 27, 2015
Duanesburg NY
A 6' should just cover his tire tracks. My MX5100 is exactly 74" at it's absolute widest tire setting, outside of tire to outside of tire.... thats with R1s.

Tennman

Jun 3, 2015
Coldwater, TN
Well... just back from lunch and threw a wrench into the works. Went to a dealer in Alabama a few minutes ago to look at Woods cutters and saw an M6060 beside an MX5800. Huge difference in machine for about $3k difference to get a stronger loader and much heavier duty tractor. So just changed my order. With this larger tractor a 7' makes sense.

So I will get a bucket with the replaceable blade and since most here think Landpride is of equal quality, you've graciously answered my questions. For not much money it's a big step up in capability.

Thanks for your help all. Really appreciated.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Yep, you get quite a bit more going from an MX or GL to an M though you can't get the HST. The hydraulic shuttle-shift is really easy to use though.

M6060, even a better reason to go with a twin spindle 8'. A 7' is going to make for a very long piece of equipment, just my opinion.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you want to deal with rock efficiently, Get an SSQA adapter on the loader and get either a rock bucket or a rock grapple, both make dealing with rock much easier.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
Congrats on your new M6060. Very happy with my M5140. I've always been pleased with my Land Pride products, but the mower (RCF2072) I got with the new tractor not so much. The steel, particularly the sides of the deck are not very thick. I got the chains, front and back. The back chains are mounted on a band that's 3" or so back from the deck by means of spacers. The ends of the band are not supported which is stupid to me. In no time at all the ends were bent backwards. The dealer bent it back in place and put extra bolts and spacers to support the ends. I looked at comparable Bush Hogs and Rhinos and specs were about the same. Mine is max 2" cutting capacity. If I had it to do again I'd gotten a more heavy duty 6' or a dual spindle 8'. A heavy duty 6' is a long mower around 126" if I remember correctly.
Good luck with your new toy.....err...I mean tool! :D

Tennman

Jun 3, 2015
Coldwater, TN
Thanks Tallahassee and Wolfman. Never seen a rock bucket like that! I like the idea of the dual spindle 8' to shorten the overhang AND get the extra width. Pretty excited... after almost 25 years sitting on a 3000.... I'm gonna feel like I arrived sitting on that machine! :cool:

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks Tallahassee and Wolfman. Never seen a rock bucket like that! I like the idea of the dual spindle 8' to shorten the overhang AND get the extra width. Pretty excited... after almost 25 years sitting on a 3000.... I'm gonna feel like I arrived sitting on that machine! :cool:
I sure know the feeling, my only tractor for several years was a Ford NAA; LOVE my GL and M, I still have the NAA, but don't use it anymore, brother likes it though.