Roll Bar Noise

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
The local service guy picked her up today.

Kubota apparently does not pay transportation costs or do house calls. I'm not sure I like the "bring it to us policy" and the "pay us to bring it in and fix a warranty problem" mentality. To be fair it was a reasonable fee.

I was told it will be a week to a week and a half.

I guess now we wait.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'm kinda anxious to see what they have to say what the problem is. Thanks for keeping us updated. Alot of people join here and ask questions to a problem and once they get an answer they almost never post as to what the end result is.

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
I'm kinda anxious to see what they have to say what the problem is. Thanks for keeping us updated. Alot of people join here and ask questions to a problem and once they get an answer they almost never post as to what the end result is.
Kinda like a hooker?
Me: Hey baby how much?
Her: Let's not talk money just yet babe.
Me: I need to know how much.
Her: Let's just see how it goes first and then you can pay me what it's worth to you.
Me after the best sex she ever had: That was good for you yeah?
Her: Yes it was!!! Now how much do you want to pay?
Me: Nothing! I got mine babe!:D

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Eric, I've noticed that and hate it. What's the use of helping someone if they don't have the courtesy to let you know the results????
Another forum I belong to, if you ask for help on a problem and you don't post a fix or explanation of what happened to the problem, you cannot post anymore. I'm a big contributor to that one.
ps,, could we keep the sexual stuff on "off topic" .

OrangeRidge

Jul 10, 2010
Queensland Australia
History lessons .......

I often fish-back through old threads and ask for an update .
You can sometimes find it's the OP who thinks we're no longer
interested in the fix and how it's progressing. I do that alot
on LR3 forums ; diffs , tranfercases , air susp , 4.4V8 problems
blah, blah . Some OP's never respond , but I wonder if they've
changed email and don't actually get the post/pm ??

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Re: History lessons .......

Perhaps maybe some people get a little discouraged because they post a question and dont always get an answer right away. I have noticed that it may take some time for a post to be replied too. There are tons of members on here and plenty kinda lurk in the shadows, it takes a person with the same problem to respond to a post for help.

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
The tractor came home yesterday. The dealer changed out a resistor valve (I think this is what he called it) and put some thin spacers between the roll bar and the frame.

It is still noisy as hell but a little bit better. It is a good bit better at idle than it was.

I mowed last night with some ear plugs and could still hear it but I could stand it better. Gun muffs and an I-POD worked pretty good until the I-POD battery died.

The plan now seems to be to run it until it breaks in or just breaks.

BTW. He told me that he couldn't do it for me but if it were his tractor he would drill a small hole and add some spray foam to the roll bar.:D

Seems we did the same trouble shooting and came up with the same fix.

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
I have listened to other new ones. They sounded just like mine did when new. It is just getting louder.

The dealer had a new one running beside mine to hear the difference. They agree that mine is much louder. But again mine wasn't that loud when new.

Mine seems to have stopped the high pitched whine at idle with no load. As soon as the throttle goes up the noise goes up.

On a side note the box on the top center of the trans case is getting pretty hot after a bit of run time. This also seems to be where the noise originates.

tonylumps

Equipment
BX1860 Loader mower
Nov 23, 2010
newtown Square Pa
I posted about the noise Resonating about 3 Months ago on another forum.How I found out was I took the ROPS off to cut Grass, the 1860 quieted right down. When I put it back on Come fall I will Rap it with close cell foam and see what it does.

Wormwood

Equipment
M5-111 SVL97-2 Sidekick
Oct 3, 2011
Little Rock, AR, United States
I just bought a BX25 last week & yesterday had to get off it, I couldn't stand that resonance with the pump & the ROPS... So last night I took a can of black pond foam (we're doing a waterfall) I connected about 2' of polyvinyl tubing to the end of the gun & filled both of the ROPS base mounts & then the ROPS itself. It was slow going b/c the foam starts to setup once it's in that tubing so you can't let off for even 10 secs. else you'll need another piece of tubing.

Today I peeled the extra foam off the end of the ROPS & then let it expand some more, an hour later I had to peel more foam off the ends, & let it expand some more, etc. This afternoon it finally stopped expanding, needless to say I used WAY too much, but the more you can fill that void inside the ROPS the better the deadening effect.

End result, is yeah it cuts down on the resonance as a matter of fact it cuts it out almost completely. Problem is the resonance is coming from other places as well, you just can't hear it because the ROPS was so loud. Don't get me wrong, it's cut the noise level down that I can hear the radio now, just don't expect it to be completely gone.

Oh last thing.... Someone mentioned tuning forks in an earlier reply, we use tuning forks in aircraft to disperse the noise energy they're simply bolted to the pressure vessel seams. You can look on the Internet for QuietFlite, this works incredibly well for a passive system. Just a thought, you might get some ideas that way.

Wormwood

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Interesting,,, very interesting indeed,, quickly Watson the game is afoot

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
While fiddling with my bow & arrow earlier a creative solution was staring at me. On the strings of my bow there are silencers, to quiet the twang. They look like the rubber skirts on crank-baits.

I'd try grabbing the ROP up and down the posts in different places, see if hand pressure stops the singing. This would probably fall at uneven intervals around the arch; meaning, not at 1/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 distances, inbetween the even intervals. That's how I set the silencers on my bow. If you find a place that works, perhaps several wraps of dense rubber hose held on with wire through the center and twisted firm.

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
Well I finaly broke down and added some foam. It helped a little but I still have some noise. I can stand it now with only the Ipod.

DO NOT try to drill a hole slightly bigger than the straw on the foam can and spray in the foam while the rops is still on the tractor. I tried this. You should not try this. Once I got about half of the can added all hell broke loose. The rops became pressurized by the foam and proceeded to empty itself onto me, the garage floor, and all over the rear of the tractor. With some quick (by quick I mean RIGHT DAMN NOW) work with some acetone I got most of it off of the tractor and some it off of my hands and arms....

I HATE PONIES

Jul 5, 2011
Oh
Attempt number 2 went much better.

I removed the rops and drilled some 1/2 holes in the center of the mounting plates. I then added 2 cans of foam while poking it inside with an arrow. I let it set up overnight and reinstalled it. It is better but still not quiet.

On a side note the whine is almost completely gone at idle. I just get engine noise.

I think I am going to try some Dyna mat wrap next.