Roasted Kubota

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
These fires are directly attributable to the use of tapered roller bearings in the front axle final drive.

I will be installing ball bearings in my front axle and sleep the sleep of the saved and thankful.
Hope you have machining skills. The outer races are narrower on the ball bearings than tapered rollers....lol

I did order a master disconnect for both units. One thing about a flooded cell battery is that parasitic loss in minimal when it's not in a circuit so if it's fully charged, parasitic loss from sitting is basically not apparent and...

Because both units sit in the remote located hay barn, if someone came in and tried to start either, neither would turn over. Not that that would happen but one never knows today.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
These fires are directly attributable to the use of tapered roller bearings in the front axle final drive.

I will be installing ball bearings in my front axle and sleep the sleep of the saved and thankful.
If you talking a Kubota tractor front axle... They don't have tapered bearings! They have never been built with them, and more than likely never will! ;)

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
If you talking a Kubota tractor front axle... They don't have tapered bearings! They have never been built with them, and more than likely never will! ;)
Yes, you told us that already. That's why my finely hewn post was intended to produce uproarious laughter.

What we have here, in humor terms, is a failure the likes of which has never been witnessed in recorded history.

And it has my name all over it.

:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, you told us that already. That's why my finely hewn post was intended to produce uproarious laughter.

What we have here, in humor terms, is a failure the likes of which has never been witnessed in recorded history.

And it has my name all over it.

:(
Guilty of the same issue! :p:p:p:p

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Wow! Two people guilty of the same thing. What are the odds?;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Guess no one will ever let me live that down. Haven't been up to my dealer since then and just what the head mechanic told me. Having never had any front end apart I would not know.

Never had an issue with any of the 6 Kubotas I've owned over the years. In fact, other than a blown cylinder on a front loader that was warranty, I've never had any mechanical issues other than the fuel cutoff solenoid which I consider a consumable item anyway.

Pretty reliable units far as I'm concerned. Besides, I'm colorblind...lol

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
I'll take a shot at humor to lighten the mood...

An engineer and an attorney were fishing in the Caribbean.

The attorney said, “I’m here because my house burned down and everything I owned was destroyed by the fire. The insurance company paid for everything.”

"That’s quite a coincidence," said the engineer. “I’m here because my house and all my belongings were destroyed by a flood and my insurance company also paid for everything.”

The puzzled attorney asked, “How do you start a flood?”

:D

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Bet you never thought you would get this kind of mileage out of this thread, did you Flip?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If the peanut gallery is done for the moment...

Don't forget that the fire extinguisher requires regular maintenance too, particularly one that is mounted in a vibration prone vehicle like a tractor. Regularly check the extinguisher for damage and pressure. Examine the discharge hose for cracks, the horn for damage and the shell for corrosion. Make sure the hose is still tightly secured to the valve asssembly, that the pin is securely in place and that nothing has crawled up into the hose or nozzle to nest.

At least once a month, invert the extinguisher and tap the bottom firmly with a rubber mallet to loosen the powder inside. Otherwise you may find it vibrated down into a solid cake when you really need it.

If and when you do really need it, stand back at least 5 feet and no more than 10 feet, then remember the acronym P.A.S.S:

Pull the pin! (you'd be surprised how many forget that detail in the heat of the moment)

Aim -- at the base of the fire, ie: the thing that is burning, not at the flames above it.

Squeeze the handle/trigger

Sweep rapidly from side to side, so as to blanket the whole area.

Finally, don't assume the fire is out after the fire is out, especially when dealing with a machine like a tractor. It takes a long time for metal to cool, the fuel load is still there (in fact, if lines ruptured, the fuel load may be increasing!) so the fire may suddenly flare back up after you think it is over. Get the fire department rolling even if you knocked it down with your extinguisher.

If your extinguisher isn't big enough to put the fire completely out, then stay well back away from the machine while you await the fire department. There are often many parts that can fail explosively when heated. For example, gas-charged support cylinders can fire off like little rockets and travel upwards of 100 feet after punching through the sheet metal.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled comedy club...

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
(you'd be surprised how many forget that detail in the heat of the moment)
It is amazing what people forget under emergency conditions.
A few years ago I was heading north of Phoenix on I-17 climbing a mountain when I came across an old VW Transporter with the engine compartment on fire. The owner was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, trying to flag down someone to help. I stopped & put out the fire with my extinguisher. After it cooled, it started right up; apparently it was just a grease/oil fire that hadn't been burning long enough to damage anything important.
The guy was extremely grateful, and wanted to pay me back somehow. I told him it would be nice if he'd give me $25 to get my extinguisher refilled. He got a funny look on his face, and just walked away.:confused:
He came back a couple minutes later and gave me a new, still in the box extinguisher that was larger & better quality than mine. Turns out he had it the whole time, but forgot under the heat of the moment. (pun intended)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks for posting the directions for fire extinguisher use Torch. I am sitting here looking at one that has not been shaken or refilled in 38 years :eek: Fat lot of good it will ever do me! I'll add it to my todo list.