Road driving

comforthill

Equipment
B2620,back blade,mower,tiller,loader,middlebuster,landscape rake
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Have a 2012 B2620 with a 4' tiller that I need to get two miles up the road from me to do a tilling job. Some say that is to far to drive. I think it would be ok. Anyone else with thoughts on this? Thanks

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
Have a 2012 B2620 with a 4' tiller that I need to get two miles up the road from me to do a tilling job. Some say that is to far to drive. I think it would be ok. Anyone else with thoughts on this? Thanks

I’ve gone that far on a BX. It’s slow but no reason not to unless it’s a dangerous road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
It is a paved county road that gets a lot of traffic. I was going to use a chase vehicle behind me both ways, as well as SMV sign and lights, flachers and flashing strobe light. Just was concerned that it would be to much on the drive train. First time tractor owner with a big investment. A long time ago I drove an old Yanmar about mile and half both ways with no problem. Thanks.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you were mowing a 5 acre lot, you might crowd that distance...

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It is a paved county road that gets a lot of traffic. I was going to use a chase vehicle behind me both ways, as well as SMV sign and lights, flachers and flashing strobe light. Just was concerned that it would be to much on the drive train. First time tractor owner with a big investment. A long time ago I drove an old Yanmar about mile and half both ways with no problem. Thanks.
In many parts of the world, tractor owners go on road runs. England being one of many.
It is not hard work for your tractor. Light load, lots of air flow....

I have driven my tractors for 90 minutes each way often. I do not think having a chase vehicle does anything except add an additional slow moving vehicle for others to deal with or run into.

Pick a time of day and day of the week to experience the minimal traffic possible on the road(s) you will travel.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I road all the time with my M's. My hayfields aren't contiguous to the farm, in fact one is 20 minutes drive time away. Just make sure you stay on the berm, have an SMV placard on the back and have your 4 way flashers on.

My road speed is much higher than yours will be but even at 23 mph, I'm slow traffic.

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I don't know anything about the B-line of tractors, but I would be sure not to run in four-wheel drive mode if it has one. Otherwise, I wouldn't think twice about driving a couple miles on a country road.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I road my L4060 frequently, usually less than 4 miles at 10-18 mph. I do not use a chase vehicle, as I think it causes more problems. Drivers behind have to pass one more vehicle, as well as come to the realization that the chase car is not going to pass.

What I've learned and read over the years is that the expectation in most all areas is that the smv operator is expected to pull over when possible to allow passing. The law in my area is 5 or more vehicles behind the smv is obstructing traffic, but I pull over when safe for a single vehicle. I also drive as far to the right as safe and practicable, but NEVER even partially off the marked roadway. Some suggest that if you're half on the roadway the tractor could be charged with failure to yield, plus it encourages drivers to pass when not safe.
I wouldn't worry about wear on the drivetrain other than the front tires... They do wear quicker on pavement in general.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I've driven my B2920 more than a mile each way before without issue. Run the flashers, keep it in 2WD, wide open throttle. My 2013 B2920 had a max top speed of 12.6mph, so I suspect yours is the same. Use high range on the transmission. If you have to go up any hills of consequence, high range probably won't work. You will wear the tires a little more on pavement.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have a chase vehicle instruct the driver to stay approx. 600-800 feet behind (or for judgement use 2 city blocks). This allows oncoming drivers to notice the flashing lights. It also allows for them to pass one vehicle at a time.

There is nothing more frustrating to a driver when a chase vehicle is too close to the slow/wide vehicle and causes the frustrated driver to either not pass and clog up traffic for others, or pass when there is too much risk. Use common sense.

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
Thanks guys. My concern was for the tractor if it would be to much for it. I will run in 2 wheel dr, High range and will watch the road ahead and behind. We will be tilling about an acre of ground when we get there, it has been worked for 30 years so it will be an easy till. If running it up there will harm the tractor I will load it on our goose-neck to haul it up there. It is just a hassle to hook, chain and unchain for such a short distance.
The wife and I are retired LEO , Firefighter, and EMS. so we have an idea of the rules and regulation and I appreciate you guys reminding me. The idea of hanging back is a great one for the chase vehicle. I would not be so concerned if were not for the fact that this road is a class A road has a lot of Semi and car, truck traffic.
Thanks again we appreciate the information and ideas.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Have you ever followed a loaded coal truck up a mountain in Virginia? They put on their left blinker to tell you to pass. Darnedest thing I have ever seen. I was putting along behind one and when the signal went on my cousin said to pass, there was a line of traffic behind me and evidently if I had not done it it would have been an unforgivable sin. If my cousin had not been in the car with me I would never have known about that nuance/protocol. Not my cup of tea to be sure but I guess that is how they keep the traffic flowing. What makes me nervous is when you look over the side of the mountain and see wrecked cars lying in the bottom of the holler.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
One other bit of advice is to be sure the brake pedals (assuming you have two) are locked together so when you apply the brakes both sides are applied at same time and rate. Otherwise you can turn sharply and unexpectedly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

comforthill

Equipment
Oct 14, 2018
Lewiston
I decided to load the tractor on our BigTex 25-5' goose neck trailer and take it up that way. It took longer to chain, unchain and secure the tractor than it did to till the small garden. Even though it was a good day and at the same time I got to help out some family and friends. Can't get the pics to post so I guess I have no visual proof. LOL Thanks guys appreciate the wisdom and help.