Review of new BX 1880

tractormd

Jul 24, 2021
Maryland
I took delivery of a new BX 1880 about a month ago and wanted to share a review since this site has been helpful in making the purchase decisions.

First, I want to say that I considered both a BX 1880 and BX 2380. The dealer was very cold on the BX 1880, to the point I wondered why they were even selling it. Some things they said:

-The rear PTO is "useless"
-The resale value is not very good
-It does not have the power to pull a 60 inch mower deck (I think the fact that only a 54 inch MMM is offered is just marketing)

Nevertheless, I purchased the 1880 because I felt it would meet my needs on my <3 acre property, which included mowing, bagging leaves, light loader work (e.g., moving mulch, firewood, tree branches, etc.), and snow removal from a 300 foot driveway. The only downside I saw was not having a 60 inch MMM, but again, I think that is marketing.

So far, the unit has not been a disappointment. Power has been more than adequate for the work I have performed. I do not regret not purchasing the 2380.

Some minor issues:

-I was surprised by/am not a fan of the strong diesel exhaust smell which seems to come whenever I am accelerating or going up a hill
-The turf tires have not been kind to some of the more trafficked/thinner areas of the lawn
-The rubber caps on the ends of the handles that unlock the loader stand and the loader itself have fallen off a few times. I can imagine eventually these will get lost.

My overall assessment: BX 1880 is more than adequate for my needs and property and I enjoy using it. I will definitely keep my zero turn for mowing the main residential lawn, but use my BX for mowing the hilly areas and SCUT work that I purchased it for.

I financed the unit at 0 percent, but may pay it off because the KTAC insurance adds another almost $2K to the purchase price.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Glad you like it, bought my BX for mainly the same reasons other than mowing. My land is all flat but a lot of trees and 300 ft gravel drive plus 150ft concrete drive. Oh.. and of course the fun factor!

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I went back and forth 1880---2380----1880----2380./......I decided once in my life to spoil myself just a little.

1880 is nearly the same machine.

|Good on ya !

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Glad you are happy with your decision.

I have always thought that with tractors, especially of about the same size, more HP is better in the long run...never regretted buying the 22HP BX2200.

BUT when working it hard I usually run out of traction before HP anyway. And that is with four foam filled tires that add a lot of weight. AND AG tires too, that may be the best for traction.

gravelman

Equipment
Kubota 2650
Nov 21, 2016
WESTMORELAND
Hi folks...im very interested in this 1880 Let me know if this price is good please.. Tractor, mid mount mower and loader..$19,160.00 I will not be blowing snow or brush hogging, simply light bucket work and lawn mowing. This model looks like it fits me best.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Hi folks...im very interested in this 1880 Let me know if this price is good please.. Tractor, mid mount mower and loader..$19,160.00 I will not be blowing snow or brush hogging, simply light bucket work and lawn mowing. This model looks like it fits me best.
This thread is from 2021. Mine I bought last year was a little over $20,000 so your quoted price sounds right. Working out for me so far on 7 acres for plowing, bucket work. It’s worth every penny for my old ass. How many acres would you need it for?

gravelman

Equipment
Kubota 2650
Nov 21, 2016
WESTMORELAND
i have about 3 acres... i like to go out in the woods and pick up debris etc. No heavy duty use. Does any other manufacturer make something similar?? Like John Deere or Mahindra??

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Probably you'd get better responses with a standalone thread, but we'll work with this.

The BX1880 is the smallest proper tractor you can get, and the cheapest. Looks like you're US-based, your easiest way to check price is to go on the Kubota site and do "build my". If you're a little under the list price, it's about right.

Check also the discounts on that site, and in particular the cutting horse and/or equine discount. It's an easy way to get a discount on a new Kubota without haggling - it's free to join the cutting horse association and you don't need to have a horse. Looks like total $1,100 off for cash with the other discount programmes as well.

Your profile says you have a 2650 - presumably a B2650? Is that true? If so, why would you want a BX1880?

For lawn mowing and light bucket work, the BX is ideal. Personally for a BX I'd go the BX2380 and get a 60 inch deck. You get slightly larger wheels, a bit more HP, and a half foot extra cutting width.

If you're going in the woods to any significant extent, the BX is quite a low machine (not much clearance). The B2601 really isn't a lot more money, and is quite a bit more capable.

For picking up debris in the woods a grapple is really excellent. You need a third function kit on the tractor to be able to run a grapple.

So, since it's not my money I'm spending, I'd probably recommend a B2601 with 60 inch MMM, and a grapple+3rd function kit. And get the equine discount. You sometimes get an implement discount when bought new with the tractor (if you buy a Land Pride implement).

Looks like there's a discount for implements on a B2601 at the moment. First implement is the loader I think, so the grapple would be second implement.

gravelman

Equipment
Kubota 2650
Nov 21, 2016
WESTMORELAND
thank you for ALL of this...very helpful I do have a B 2650 cab tractor....WONDERFUL machine and i have owned many. I was just looking for a smaller machine for mowing primarily and tight spots out in the woods. THANK YOU AGAIN, most helpful

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
thank you for ALL of this...very helpful I do have a B 2650 cab tractor....WONDERFUL machine and i have owned many. I was just looking for a smaller machine for mowing primarily and tight spots out in the woods. THANK YOU AGAIN, most helpful
The mower on the 1880 is a beast. Have areas I have where my cub cadet would choke. The power of the diesel chews right through it without braking a sweat. The power steering is great to go around tight areas. But if you have the bucks, you may want to get what PaulL said, the 2380. But, I did put bigger tires on my for higher clearance for winter duties. Bought the skid steer tires that work great in snow. I put my smaller turf tires back on during summer so I don’t chew up the grass. Good luck on your decision.

gravelman

Equipment
Kubota 2650
Nov 21, 2016
WESTMORELAND
One more thing please....how does it mow a finished lawn??? I have a JD 350 ride on, does a great job. I was going to try and sell that towards the Kubota but im nervous about how the bigger mower will do on a finished lawn.. THANKS

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Mine does fine. But if your JD is doing fine, why change? Every mower is different. It will take you a few times to get it to where you want it. Just have to learn it. Have had push mowers and riding lawnmowers. The 1880 was totally different. It’s larger than what I was used to. After a few cuts, got it to where I want it to be. Just a new tool to get used to.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I wouldn't buy a BX for mowing duties. Buy a ZTR, of your choice. It will cut better, faster, and is more nimble than any BX. I have a BX22 with a 60" deck and hated it for mowing. I bought a 46" Husquvarna ZTR and have been using that for the past 6 years. I sold the BX22 a few years back and gave every attachment to the new buyer. It has been replace with a BX23S.

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
I wouldn't buy a BX for mowing duties. Buy a ZTR, of your choice. It will cut better, faster, and is more nimble than any BX. I have a BX22 with a 60" deck and hated it for mowing. I bought a 46" Husquvarna ZTR and have been using that for the past 6 years. I sold the BX22 a few years back and gave every attachment to the new buyer. It has been replace with a BX23S.
So you sold your ZTR and replaced it with a BX23S? Or you replaced your BX22 with a BX23S?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If you have a B2650, then no need to buy a machine bigger than a BX1880.

Does your B2650 have a loader? What do you want to do with a BX in the woods that you can't do with the B2650? Is it the cab that's the problem? A B series will be much better in the woods than a BX. Given you have the B, I'd consider one of a few things:
  • get a BX1880 without loader. If you're mostly mowing, and the B can do loader work, you don't need a loader (heresy, I know)
  • get a dedicated mower instead of a BX. Zero turn, used F series, or just keep the JD350, which is already a dedicated mower

You listed two uses for the BX1880 - mostly mowing, a little bit in the woods. But you seem happy with the JD for mowing. So you're buying a BX just to go in the woods, but only the bits the B2650 can't get to, and you only have 3 acres so there can't be that much woods to start with? I'm not one to tell people not to buy a new tractor, but you really don't sound like you need a new tractor.

Perhaps you could take your chainsaw into the woods, and move the trees that are in the way of the B2650, and put the money you save into a grapple for the B, which would be super useful. $3K for the grapple will still leave you about $16K savings. You could buy a good zero turn, a used F series, or buy the wife a nice present and take the kids on holiday.

gravelman

Equipment
Kubota 2650
Nov 21, 2016
WESTMORELAND
this is all good info....and much appreciated. Im too old for a ztm, i hear they can be very dangerous in some condition, ie; hills and slopes. I have both. Think i will stick with the JD350 very rugged machine.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
One thing I neglected to answer - you asked if other manufacturers make similar machines. Short answer is yes, it's a common size. My sister in law has a small Massey Ferguson that's similar. I don't really like driving it, I don't find it as refined as the Kubota, but it's a tractor and a tractor is always better than no tractor. All the usual tradeoffs and opinions, but there are some good machines out there. I quite like Kioti for some reason, my Dad had one and it was a nice machine. I prefer Kubota, but maybe the mix of features you want is available in a different colour.