Replacing Oil Pan Gasket

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

I am planning on replacing the Oil Pan Gasket on my L235DT and am trying to visualize what needs to done to do this. It is obvious that the Drive Shaft has to be dropped in order for the pan to drop. All of the manuals I have do not (that I can see) any mention of what to do or what to expect. Any one have any insight as to how the drive shaft is removed. It appears to be bolted at the transmission end, whereas at the axle end, no connection can be seen, unless it is within the shaft housing. Before anyone asks, it's a one piece shaft. I don't imagine that this is very difficult, just not sure how to start.

Thanks

Ron

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
The front drive shaft should be pretty easy, unless you have a bucket on the front, where the mid support mount may make it difficult.
I have a L245DT which should be pretty close to the same.
You have 2 bolts on the rear shaft housing, and 2 bolts on a tab on the front half of the shaft housing, (bolts to the oil pan).
Take off these 4 bolts, telescope the front and back covers towards each other to gain access to the C-clips, pull the clip on the propeller shaft sides of the front and rear (leaving the ones on the front pinion and rear output shaft). Slide the retainers toward the middle of the shaft and it should all come off.....
(unless you have the FEL mount to work around) then you have to find a good angle to slide it out of your way).

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Thank you, WinnieCouple, for the reply. After I posted this I found an illustration
showing the shaft and I pretty much figured out what you were able to explain in good detail. Thanks again

Ron

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas

Thank you, WinnieCouple, for the reply. After I posted this I found an illustration
showing the shaft and I pretty much figured out what you were able to explain in good detail. Thanks again

Ron

When you get under the tractor and take a look at it and pull the 4 bolts, you'll see that these tractors are actually easy to work on. There are some good illustrations out there, you just have to find them.
Any time you need advise, feel free to post up and someone will help.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Ok, I am getting my parts today and in preparation of sizing up what needs to be done, I've now noticed that I may have problems dropping the drive shaft because of the FEL's mounting frame. Doesn't appear to be much room below the shaft sleeve and the top of the framing for the FEL. I am hoping that it still can be done with the FEL framing still attached. Has anyone else dealt with this before and if so, Please tell me it can be done without major dis-assembly. I definitely need to do the oil pan gasket, as well as the oil seals at both ends of the drive shaft. Any and all insight, suggestions, or what you would try will be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Ron, I'm not sure if your FEL sub frame is like the one on my 3750. But mine as a cross member that can be unbolted to get out of the way. There was no way to remove the drive shaft with it in place. Can yours be unbolted, or is the frame all one piece? Anyway, good luck with it.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

Unfortunately, the sub frame of the FEL is all one piece. :(:(:(

So, I guess that I need to figure out how to drop the sub frame. Wished that I realized all of this before draining the front axle and the engine oil. Plus I'll have to figure all of this with the loader still hooked up. :mad:

I'm trying to keep with John Lennon's philosophy, "There are no Problems, only Solutions".

Ron