Repairing a BX24 Loader Bucket

GlueGuy

Equipment
2018 BX23S, 3PH, Back Blade, Rake, 18ft Trailer
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
Well, no one volunteered an easy answer, so I decided to rebuild and improve my BX24, LA240 loader bucket. With a few measurements from the old bucket, I went to my local metal shop and had them shear and bend a 3/16" replacement bottom plate 1/2" oversize plus 2" up the angle at the rear of the bucket. $70.00. I ordered a 48" long 3" x 3/8 beveled bucket edge from skidsteers.com for $106.00 plus UPS. I cut out the bottom with a torch and 2" up the angled back with a 4 1/2" metal cutting wheel. I ground away all the excess on the sides until flush and then I set the new part on a stand lowered the bucket, leveled the tractor with the stabilizers, and allowed it inside one edge and marked the cut line on the other side. I cut and ground the new bottom to fit and aligned the angled back the same way. I tacked the new bottom in place and the 1" stitch welded it in place (which is why the welds look a little funny) to minimize any distortion or warping. I then cut the cutting edge to fit and skip welded it on the back and full welded it to the new bucket bottom on the front. A little self etching primer, a can of Kubota orange (still needs one more coat) and it's a stronger tougher bucket that looks like brand new!

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Nice! Sounds way cheaper than a new bucket, plus you get the personal satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
nice work!
place a tooth bar on her, protect that beautiful edge!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Thank you for sharing. I have the same issue with my MF 1145, FEL bucket is trashed/worn out. I may tackle it in the same manner if I can't find a better used bucket.

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Great job .. I got a 120v dual range welder ($60 princess auto) and have been practicing on small odd jobs, but I have a hard time getting a spark with it. Not sure if it's me, the welder, poor grounds or what. Tempted to go bigger ..

GlueGuy

Equipment
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
I searched for a good used bucket for almost a year with no luck. A new bucket was just under $500 at my dealer, so this seemed like the best plan!

GlueGuy

Equipment
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
10:1 says it's the welder. Unless it's Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, or a small handful of others, quality becomes an issue. If it's made in China, double the odds of getting good results (and parts)!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
No Step guy:

Unless you are well experienced at welding don't depend on a 120 v welder for that kid of job, especially if it is flux-core. I have a lot of welding experience and I bought a Harbor Freight job as noted here. Real rough at getting any sort of decent weld and obviously would not work on the thickness of bucket material.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
No Step guy:

Unless you are well experienced at welding don't depend on a 120 v welder for that kid of job, especially if it is flux-core. I have a lot of welding experience and I bought a Harbor Freight job as noted here. Real rough at getting any sort of decent weld and obviously would not work on the thickness of bucket material.
I may take issue with that. I only have a 120v Lincoln that has amazed me with quality weld's up to 1/4". You can see the little guy on a stand in the background of the first picture. I fabricated my air bagged truck backhalf with it among a million other things over the years. The frame was 1/4" on this pickup and I cut it off and welded up my own shark fin c notched and custom tubular crossmembers. If I would trust (and tested HARD with a truck that would jump clean off the ground) a truck frame to a 120v welder a bucket is no sweat at all.

Also used it to make a custom front end as well.

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
My 120 v welder is flux core and from Harbor Freight. Before moving to a small city house I had a couple great welders even good for 1/2" or better, stick and MIG. On occasion I've had to go and borrow them back from relatives. But for very crude work, I have tried this cheap one. However, this $95 flux core unit does work, but only on thin stock and awful hard to get a decent job with crude adjustments. One improvement I had to make was using a mask shade number as light as possible so as to see with the weak arc. Perhaps the folks having trouble with a small welder might try that and look at less filtering of the light.

GlueGuy

Equipment
Apr 4, 2011
Newport, North Carolina
Very nice build! I note that you're using a Lincoln, a quality welder! ... that's a far cry from a Harbor Freight Chinese imitation!