Removing radiator drain plug on B2650

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have probably drained 50 or more with this drain plug and have never had a single problem removing them. I always use a 1/2" wide regular blade screwdriver and unscrew slowly as it is plastic.
Never heard of any concerns until this thread.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What do you guys think about this MityVac. One guy I know said you won't have to deal with gaskets, bolts or stripping issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utZpZWYWqiQ
Why would you waste the time to change some of the fluid without flushing the sediment off the bottom??? You would not take a bath and put your dirty clothes back on.

Also, I doubt that their smallest tube will fit thru the radiator cores to suck even a little of the coolant out.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Why would you waste the time to change some of the fluid without flushing the sediment off the bottom??? You would not take a bath and put your dirty clothes back on.

Also, I doubt that their smallest tube will fit thru the radiator cores to suck even a little of the coolant out.

Re: Removing radiator drain plug on B2650
I have probably drained 50 or more with this drain plug and have never had a single problem removing them. I always use a 1/2" wide regular blade screwdriver and unscrew slowly as it is plastic.
Never heard of any concerns until this thread.
The biggest screwdriver I own is a 3/8” flathead. When I used it, it tore the plastic and I couldn’t loosen the bolt. It looked like it fit. Although its the next size up, the 1/2” is an uncommon size. Most people don’t have one laying around.

I read online that some recommended a JIS #3 screwdriver. I ordered a 1/2” flathead and the JIS online. The JIS doesn’t fit. It wiggled in the bolt head and tore up the bolt head more. The 1/2” fit.

The mightvac I bought (a cheaper model) didn’t do much. The only thing it helped me accomplish was to drain the reservoir tank (and make a funny sucking sound that reminded me of my ex-girlfriend) and is not the right tool for this job. You’re right. I’ll save it for my smaller engines without drain plugs.

There’s a lot of good intentions. There’s a lot of misinformation. It’s tough to sift through it all and sometimes even the best of advice can go wrong. I’m just trying to figure it out one day at a time.

Mightvac $65
One JIS screwdriver $20
One 1/2” flathead $20
One oem replacement drain bolt $20

Finding out that something actually works through trial and error, A hundred and twenty five dollars!

At least the next guy won’t go through this. We hope.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Having PLASTIC end tanks on a radiator, you can easily break something trying just to get that plug out. My suggestion, as mentioned above, s to remove the bottom radiator hose and drain it that way. With the radiator cap off and the top radiator hose off, you can also BACK flush the radiator with a garden hose by wrapping a rag around the hose end to seal it against the radiator bottom hose connection. I have seen to many plastic tanked radiators ruined by a stubborn drain valve. The 2003-up Dodge diesels have a problem with the drain getting stuck. Guys horse them and internally break the threaded piece in the radiator rendering the radiator, a VERY Expensive radiator useless.
Use OE Kubota coolant or LONG life red diesel rated coolant. NO green coolant.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Having PLASTIC end tanks on a radiator, you can easily break something trying just to get that plug out. My suggestion, as mentioned above, s to remove the bottom radiator hose and drain it that way. With the radiator cap off and the top radiator hose off, you can also BACK flush the radiator with a garden hose by wrapping a rag around the hose end to seal it against the radiator bottom hose connection. I have seen to many plastic tanked radiators ruined by a stubborn drain valve. The 2003-up Dodge diesels have a problem with the drain getting stuck. Guys horse them and internally break the threaded piece in the radiator rendering the radiator, a VERY Expensive radiator useless.
Use OE Kubota coolant or LONG life red diesel rated coolant. NO green coolant.
The coolant I emptied from the machine was green. The Kubota Long Life Coolant is also green.