Removing radiator drain plug on B2650

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I am trying to drain the coolant from a B2650 but I cannot get the drain plug out. Page 81 of the manual just says "remove the radiator drain plug" but there is no explanation of how to remove it.

The plug has a head on it that looks like it should fit a #3 phillips but it is made of soft material that bends when I try to torque it. I can wiggle it with vice grips but I am afraid of snapping it off if I pull on it. I do not see any retainer clip keeping it on so I'm not sure if you are just supposed to yank it out and then tap it back in with a mallet or if there is some other method that I am missing.

Any guidance on this?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Not sure, but why not just pop the lower hose off?

edit, just looked. I would guess its a threaded drain plug and the parts diagram doesn't provide any more details. Looks like it has a 1/4" rubber gasket as well. Perhaps, you can get a 6 pt socket/wrench on it if it looks like the plastic will give way with a large phillips? maybe you can grab the outer rounded head with a channel lock/vise grip.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here is what I know from the drain plug on my L3560: Kubota tech was out to pick up my B tractor, and I was planning to change the antifreeze on the L myself before fall. He said "you'll have trouble with that drain, let me get it started for you, but plan on replacing it." He used the biggest Phillips head I had, and got it loose, it is indeed threaded. The slots on the head of the plug are kind of stripped but useable for the time being. I ordered a new one ready to put in, part no. Tc422-16070 in case they are the same. Looking at the new one, the shaft is threaded for the first 1/2 inch, then it splits in two like a clothes peg, and the ends bulge out. The shaft is hollow except at the head.
I'll try to get a picture, but the ends would prevent removing the whole thing unless you can get something on them to pinch the plastic together. Maybe it is designed so it will drain but not come all the way out?

So before trying to remove yours I would recommend picking up a new one to have on hand just in case...I think it was just a couple bucks.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
H He said "you'll have trouble with that drain, let me get it started for you, but plan on replacing it." He used the biggest Phillips head I had, and got it loose, it is indeed threaded. The slots on the head of the plug are kind of stripped but useable for the time being.
Check the new one, it's probably A JIS head (similar to a pozidriv) not a phillips head, so using the wrong tool stuffs it. (Very common!)

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Check the new one, it's probably A JIS head (similar to a pozidriv) not a phillips head, so using the wrong tool stuffs it. (Very common!)
Absolutely correct! It's a #3 JIS

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I used a large, stubby handled flat head screwdriver. Its plastic and threaded.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Do those prongs hang up in the hole if you want to take the whole thing out?

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
The plugs in the l3560 and the B2650 seem to be identical. There is a rubber washer at the base.
I can't tell from the pictures... are those threads pitched like a screw or are they stacked? What I mean is - does the plug thread on by twisting or do those threads act more like a seal?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I can't tell from the pictures... are those threads pitched like a screw or are they stacked? What I mean is - does the plug thread on by twisting or do those threads act more like a seal?
The threads are a pitched spiral, so intended to be twisted to remove.
Since they can be a bugger, the worry is messing up the radiator.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
The threads are a pitched spiral, so intended to be twisted to remove.
Since they can be a bugger, the worry is messing up the radiator.
I wonder if there is an answer on removing and replacing the plug safely. I used a 3/8 inch Flathead to loosen the plastic drain bolt but its breaking. I ordered a 1/2 inch screwdriver and it has a better grip to it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E64RA4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I ordered a replacement drain bolt but worry about pulling the plug out and damaging the radiator as well.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting. Neither of my M series have radiator drain plugs. I remove the lower radiator hose to drain the system. Would be a plus but not there on my units.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Be a lot easier and less expensive to loosen the Witek clamp on the lower hose and drain the coolant that way, least in my view. My problem with those oil suckers is they leave the crud (if any) in the bottom of the sump. Coolant, not so much.

I see at least 100 bucks there....;)

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
I am trying to drain the coolant from a B2650 but I cannot get the drain plug out. Page 81 of the manual just says "remove the radiator drain plug" but there is no explanation of how to remove it.

The plug has a head on it that looks like it should fit a #3 phillips but it is made of soft material that bends when I try to torque it. I can wiggle it with vice grips but I am afraid of snapping it off if I pull on it. I do not see any retainer clip keeping it on so I'm not sure if you are just supposed to yank it out and then tap it back in with a mallet or if there is some other method that I am missing.

Any guidance on this?
I managed to remove the damaged plastic drain bolt by pinching it with my fingers just past the grooves. It came out without any problem and replaced my damaged one with a new OEM bolt. I used a 1/2 flat head screwdriver to remove and replace the drain bolt. Works like a charm.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
OMG - Can't wait to tackle that one some day....What was wrong with a square headed plug, that took a 3/8 or 7/16 open end wrench to remove it?.... Well the corporate thing to do is reinvent the wheel...Great job Kubota....