Removing clumping bamboo with a stump bucket?

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I’ve got some dense clumping bamboo stumps I want to remove from my yard. It’s not a project I want to start any time soon but I’m evaluating the removal options. I tried digging them up with my loader bucket but it was like digging into a brick wall. I don’t own a stump bucket but I’d sure buy one if it’ll do the job. It‘s an unusual question but I’d thought I’d ask. i also thought about hiring a forestry muncher to grind them down.

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I just rent a stump grinder from the local rental depot. Had one last year for 8 hours and cost just over $100. Had a few 12" to 16" Beach nut stumps to remove.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you grind them down they will be back in short order!
This sounds like a good job for a mini ex!

Reactions: 2 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Agreed. Grinding down bamboo won't get rid of it. I've heard the only way to get rid of bamboo is to move.

Reactions: 1 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Beachnut when ground down also start sprouting up all over the ground from the root spread. I spray the new growth with round up. They eventually die over time with the spray and mowing . Not sure it would work with bamboo.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
no experience with bamboo, tree puller maybe?
20170826_131854.jpg

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Bamboo is a grass of sorts. It will hold the dirt together during flooding etc. great for privacy.

Bamboo is a pain to get rid of. I would rent a mini ex and make sure I got as many roots as I could find. I have a propane burner to burn the roots that I can’t pull. Use a good herbicide to spray down the area.

Good luck

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'd have to agree with the above comments. Forget about a stump bucket and rent a (sizeable) machine to dig them out.

I did it once long ago as a landscaping job with an old BX23. It was friggin awful. :mad: Bamboo is really tough stuff to dig. I wouldn't do it again with anything less than a mini-excavator.

If you just have several clumps, any chance that they were planted with rhizome barrier? If not, you could be chasing them for quite some time.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I hate bamboo,, I have dug,, sprayed ,, cussed,, burned and it still comes back I swear that stuff thrives on hate !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I hate bamboo,, I have dug,, sprayed ,, cussed,, burned and it still comes back I swear that stuff thrives on hate !
Well, the stuff at my dad's place is gonna thrive cause I'm gonna hate all over it with the backhoe once ski season is over. I had planned on digging it out, burning the exposed pit, and filling back in. From reading this, it sounds like I should look into some form of chemical hate as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well, the stuff at my dad's place is gonna thrive cause I'm gonna hate all over it with the backhoe once ski season is over. I had planned on digging it out, burning the exposed pit, and filling back in. From reading this, it sounds like I should look into some form of chemical hate as well.
In my opinion your best choice would be to avoid all digging.
You will simply be replanting many small shoots for regrowth.
Mow it down with a brush hog!
This will leave ragged little cut stumps.

Then apply a strong mixture of a woody plant control spray (Gordon's brush killer).
Use a bac-pak sprayer, or any hand held sprayer, to soak the spray into the top of each individual little stump.
If you are comfortable doing so, use diesel rather than water to make the spray mix.

You will likely need to do a later clean up spray as well.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN

Then apply a strong mixture of a woody plant control spray (Gordon's brush killer).
Use a bac-pak sprayer, or any hand held sprayer, to soak the spray into the top of each individual little stump.
If you are comfortable doing so, use diesel rather than water to make the spray mix.

You will likely need to do a later clean up spray as well.
That sounds a lot less fun (no angry digging), but a whole lot faster and less work. Thanks, I'll definitely look into that.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior

Then apply a strong mixture of a woody plant control spray
--- ---
The only thing bamboo here in the far north bush is a split bamboo back scratcher...

However... We have an invasive brush that is solid trunked but grows in bunches similar...

Like said, brush hog, chain saw, long handle brush lopper it as close to the ground as possible.. I then paint the cut ends with a small brush and strait from the bottle Round Up... Maybe not the best solution, but it does seem to work well..

Like said.... DO NOT, DO NOT disk, sub soil, or other tillage tool use to the root system... It seems every cut in the root system will send up another plant...

It is not a fast process, and requires time to implement, but reasonably cheap solution....

My 5 cents of experience...