Redoing the driveway

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
New project starting today
PXL_20230722_140302306.jpg

I was tired of blowing gravel all over the place in winter so i'm going with recycled asphalt.
I borrowed a box scraper from a guy nearby. It's my first time using one of those.

The plan is to scrape it all, move it in a pile in the backyard. Then I'll get about 36tons (2 x 12 wheelers) of recycled asphalt.

The gravel looks way nicer and is very effective at draining water so I'm kinda bumed out that it's just not workable in the winter.

I'll have to grade everything perfectly so water doesn't pool (non issue with gravel) and I hope it's not gonna be as messy as stone dust on the front door inside carpet.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
New project starting today
View attachment 107808
I was tired of blowing gravel all over the place in winter so i'm going with recycled asphalt.
I borrowed a box scraper from a guy nearby. It's my first time using one of those.

The plan is to scrape it all, move it in a pile in the backyard. Then I'll get about 36tons (2 x 12 wheelers) of recycled asphalt.

The gravel looks way nicer and is very effective at draining water so I'm kinda bumed out that it's just not workable in the winter.

I'll have to grade everything perfectly so water doesn't pool (non issue with gravel) and I hope it's not gonna be as messy as stone dust on the front door inside carpet.
After the Summer sun bakes on your recycled asphalt for some months, you will have what will look like an actual asphalt driveway.
I think you will be very happy.

Reactions: 1 user

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Perfect time of year to do it! I'm actually getting close to performing this same project myself. Just trying to plan timing with all the other stuff going on this summer.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you put a layer of stone on top and roll it down into the asphalt?

Could you just compact the gravel with a roller compactor or would the freeze thaw cycles break it up? Being from Texas we don’t really deal with that problem here.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
stuff I know....as I put 4K$ worth of it down 8 year ago...

RAP MUST be driven on it or it'll 'crumble' and get loose as there is NO 'binder'.

You can fling it pretty good with a snowblower until it freezes solid.....

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
RAP MUST be driven on it or it'll 'crumble' and get loose as there is NO 'binder'.
do you mean continually driven over, or that it needs to be compacted initially?
Seeing as I am planning on doing our RV loop, it will go long periods of time without getting driven on.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Doesn’t look like you have a surplus/thick layer of stone.

I’d be apt to put scarifiers down on the borrowed box blade and churn/blend your existing stone a little. I wouldn’t peel it off.

Then regrade everything with box blade with scarifiers up.

Then I’d put grindings/millings down, regrade rough, then tamp with plate compactor.

Just my suggestion. I think compaction might be important. Otherwise, you’re going to throw asphalt instead of stone.

I’ve used a snowblower on stone for 32 years, and 20+ on a front mount tractor.

Could it be more an issue of the shoes on the blower?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What is recycled asphalt? What we call road millings?

I have used road millings but in my case they don’t seem much different than crushed limestone. No snowblower here though. Just a back blade. Maybe I never put them down thick enough so stick together, or perhaps the sun is not hot enough here?

Hope it is an improvement for you. Definitely not as pretty as crushed stone, as you said.

What does a load of millings cost in your area? Just curious.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Can you put a layer of stone on top and roll it down into the asphalt?

Could you just compact the gravel with a roller compactor or would the freeze thaw cycles break it up? Being from Texas we don’t really deal with that problem here.
NOPE!
Do not ad anything to the recycled asphalt, or .....you will have an ugly mess!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
RAP, Recycled Asphalt Pavement

Since it's a 'dry' mix, you do need to drive over it every so often. After a few months the RAP under the pickup was 'loose'. Simply driving over it a few times and it gets repacked. The more weight the better it gets packed.

Now IF you can get 'slag' from a steel mill that WILL pack down as hard as concrete after a few months. I could not break it apart at neighbour's lot. Even a 'real' excavator had to get under an edge,curl, then beat the stuff. magical stuff....once loose ,it's easy to spread, then tamp it down, becomes HARD again.....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
RAP, Recycled Asphalt Pavement

Since it's a 'dry' mix, you do need to drive over it every so often. After a few months the RAP under the pickup was 'loose'. Simply driving over it a few times and it gets repacked. The more weight the better it gets packed.

Now IF you can get 'slag' from a steel mill that WILL pack down as hard as concrete after a few months. I could not break it apart at neighbour's lot. Even a 'real' excavator had to get under an edge,curl, then beat the stuff. magical stuff....once loose ,it's easy to spread, then tamp it down, becomes HARD again.....
I do not need to drive over my recycled asphalt at all, once it has been compacted.

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
I am planning on rolling it. There's a rental shop close by and they have those big rollers just for that. Not sure how that costs yet

And I do have a good amount of left-over gravel. I have another project for it. I made 2 piles: 1 for clean gravel and the other one that's just crap.
PXL_20230722_204031855.jpg

The box blade is awesome. I like this thing already.

Reactions: 4 users

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Another successful project completed.
3 loads was too much.
PXL_20230725_182407109.jpg
But I had another place I decided to "pave" so no leftovers except for that small pile that I'm gonna use for touch-ups.

Now I have to get a roller. Next month ...
PXL_20230725_205038891.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
Nice work so far! Did you do more back dragging to spread, or box spread?
Only box.

I have a hydraulic top-link so it's even easier. I went from the street to the garage with the box tilted down, to scrape. Then the final pass was from the garage to the street tilted up. This way, I have a good slope. I have a laser to check the grade, so I'll double check with that.

I won't bother too much with low points right now. The roller, and a winter will do its work. I'll touch-up wherever I see puddles forming.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Only box.

I have a hydraulic top-link so it's even easier. I went from the street to the garage with the box tilted down, to scrape. Then the final pass was from the garage to the street tilted up. This way, I have a good slope. I have a laser to check the grade, so I'll double check with that.

I won't bother too much with low points right now. The roller, and a winter will do its work. I'll touch-up wherever I see puddles forming.
How did this come out? I have to redo the driveway this week or next after having it dug up a bunch installing the conduit for solar, graded out the dirt they dug out and even "compacting" the trench with the weight of the tractor and filled tires......need to probably get at least 1-2 trucks of RAP if I can.

awesome

Equipment
B2601, BH70, K54-22-06B
Sep 16, 2018
ottawa
How did this come out? I have to redo the driveway this week or next after having it dug up a bunch installing the conduit for solar, graded out the dirt they dug out and even "compacting" the trench with the weight of the tractor and filled tires......need to probably get at least 1-2 trucks of RAP if I can.
I'm not too good at grading things so there are a few bumps. Winter will sort everything out. Next year I'll do a few touch ups