Recommendations for new tractor

cowboycaddy

Feb 4, 2018
Edgemoor, SC
I'm having a really difficult time deciding what tractor to go with. We have about 100 acres. 30 acres of fields that we just keep cut down to keep brush from coming up, 5 acres of lawn, and the remaining is woods. My wife's grandfather has a AC 5040 that we use to bushhog, and till the garden. He passed away a few months ago, and the tractor is not "mine" so I don't really like using it unless I have to. I want to get a finish mower for the new tractor to help save some time cutting my grass. I will use it to bush hog the pastures, light grading, tilling the garden, and for getting firewood (only for an outdoor area, we don't heat with wood). I was set on an MX5200, because I like the size, but I'm almost thinking that's way overkill for my needs. I much prefer the price of an L3901 HST, but it looks so small in comparison. I keep reading that everyone always regrets not buying something big enough and I don't want to make that mistake. What would you buy in my situation? This is not a have to have, more like a want to have, but I feel I could put it to good use.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
By the AC from the estate since you are familiar with it and know what it does. Then buy a smaller Kubota for the yard mowing.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'm having a really difficult time deciding what tractor to go with. We have about 100 acres. 30 acres of fields that we just keep cut down to keep brush from coming up, 5 acres of lawn, and the remaining is woods. My wife's grandfather has a AC 5040 that we use to bushhog, and till the garden. He passed away a few months ago, and the tractor is not "mine" so I don't really like using it unless I have to. I want to get a finish mower for the new tractor to help save some time cutting my grass. I will use it to bush hog the pastures, light grading, tilling the garden, and for getting firewood (only for an outdoor area, we don't heat with wood). I was set on an MX5200, because I like the size, but I'm almost thinking that's way overkill for my needs. I much prefer the price of an L3901 HST, but it looks so small in comparison. I keep reading that everyone always regrets not buying something big enough and I don't want to make that mistake. What would you buy in my situation? This is not a have to have, more like a want to have, but I feel I could put it to good use.
The AC is about the size of a MX5200 with less horsepower (40hp) does it do the job for you? If so the L3901 likely will to and being slightly smaller will be more nimble. Parts are getting hard to find for those Romanian built AC's too!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Or go try out an L3560 or 4060. The features on that model are nice for mowing large areas, and the frame is bigger than the base Ls.

cowboycaddy

Feb 4, 2018
Edgemoor, SC
The AC won't be going anywhere, my father-in-law will keep it. I'm able to use it anytime I want, but as someone else said parts are getting harder to find, and it's one of those things I don't want to be responsible for if/when it breaks. I'd much rather break my own stuff! I have a commercial 52" zeroturn that I've cut the grass with for the last couple of years, it does fine, just want to get done a little quicker!

By the AC from the estate since you are familiar with it and know what it does. Then buy a smaller Kubota for the yard mowing.

cowboycaddy

Feb 4, 2018
Edgemoor, SC
The AC does everything I've needed it to just fine. It has a little over 6k hours on it and still has the power to do what we need. I wish it had a FEL, whatever I buy will definitely have one.

The AC is about the size of a MX5200 with less horsepower (40hp) does it do the job for you? If so the L3901 likely will to and being slightly smaller will be more nimble. Parts are getting hard to find for those Romanian built AC's too!

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania

Cowboy — I’d suggest you going and looking seriously at the Grand L’s...either an L4060 or L4760...do all the work you want and in comfort with many premium options.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
L47xx:) I've got many less acres but I love my L4740. SheepFarmer will understand, it has enough lift to put bales in the rack of my GN trailer. It is too heavy to mow lawns here though what with all our rain.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I would stick with 60+ HP and get a cab, 4wd, hydraulic remotes front and back. It's easier to do smaller jobs with a bigger tractor than bigger jobs on a small one. You've got 100 acres of jobs to do now...are you planning to do anything like hay baling? In that case you'd want at least 60 PTO HP and 1000/540 rpm is nice to have. Don't cheap out now because you are going to end up paying twice

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
mike has a very good point, maybe if you outline what you want/need to do,,,,, we can spend your money much better :D

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Never heard anyone say or read a post, "I should of bought a smaller tractor with fewer features." My choice was a L5740HSTC, L4060 would be the very bottom for me anyway.

Two tractors may be a good way to go if you can find help picking a good used one. On one of our farms our go to tractors for bush hogging are a Case 995 made in the early 60s and a Ford made in the mid 50s and use our newer machines for other stuff.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Never heard anyone say or read a post, "I should of bought a smaller tractor with fewer features." My choice was a L5740HSTC, L4060 would be the very bottom for me anyway.

Two tractors may be a good way to go if you can find help picking a good used one. On one of our farms our go to tractors for bush hogging are a Case 995 made in the early 60s and a Ford made in the mid 50s and use our newer machines for other stuff.
If you are currently married buy the biggest one you can afford with all the bells and whistles and don't ask/tell. It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Consider buying a mower for your 5 acres of lawn. A tractor big enough for all of your other chores probably won't be nimble enough to use on your lawn.
Or pay the neighborhood kid to mow it. :).

Pitbull

Equipment
Kubota L4701, LP RCR1860 Cutter, LP RTA 1258 Tiller
Dec 8, 2017
Mt. Enterprise, Texas
X2 on the mower! I use to cut 5-7ac for my brother in law with him l3400 and 5' cutter, (I realize the 3400 is a smaller tractor) would take nearly 2 hrs when dry. He bought a commercial ztr with a 27hp motor and dropped the time to an hr flat. The ztr was SO much smoother riding I run nearly top speed the entire time. Not to mention having to zig zag around and under several trees on the tractor, one pass with the ztr and roll on! Not trying to talk you out of buying a tractor, just saying I'd seriously considering trading/selling the 54" ztr for a 60" and put the rest of the money in savings account for a future tractor.

House of Dogs

Equipment
MX5200, LA1065, SGS1566, RCR1860, BB1260
Apr 19, 2017
NW Ga
I have 25 acres pasture, 5 acres “yard”, and a little over 50 wooded. I’m happy with my MX5200. I have an Exmark zero turn we cut the yard with. I wish I’d have gone with a larger rotary cutter for the pastures.

For initial clearing the grapple made things a lot easier and is very helpful after storms keeping trails clear of fallen trees. The size of the tractor and other implements is great for maintaining the property. I was looking at a bigger machine and a few other implements but my dealer convinced me the 5200 would be better for my needs and if I happen to need a bigger/more powerful machine for a one time project he rents me a skid steer at a good discount.

Ballast is absolute need with the MX when using the grapple. My land varies from flat to mild hills. Using the grapple for roots on anything not flat without ballast is pretty much useless because the rear rises to easy.

I don’t have issues with HP for maintaining property. The other thing I like about the MX is it is easy for my wife to use and she loves it. I travel for work and she sometimes needs to be the doing the upkeep.

cowboycaddy

Feb 4, 2018
Edgemoor, SC
Thank you for all the recommendations. My lawn is big and flat with very few trees, hence the reason for wanting a big finish mower. Our house was built on old pasture land. I plan on keeping my current ZT for doing right around the house, but otherwise would use the finish mower. I think the MX series is probably the way to go for me. Any recommendations on dealers with the best pricing? I live in SC and don't mind driving to pick one up (within approximately 500-600 miles).