Rear tire chains l3301

Swando

Equipment
Kubota L3301 tractor
Mar 3, 2017
Fairfield, Idaho
I would like to use rear tire chains for snow on my l3301. I only have 1" of clearance between the tire and fender metal. Has anyone tried chains on this model?
Thanks!

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
What tire package? With R4's no way without wheels spacers involved.

R1's will have to widened to gain clearance.

Pat

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
Even with the R1 tires spaced out you want to make sure you have the correct chains and keep them tight. I had a set of the correct size chains from an older tractor that fit but the links were big and there was just a tiny bit of slack which was enough that while reversing one afternoon a link caught the bottom edge of one of the rear fenders and started to bend the sheet metal. With the turf or industrial tires you'll have more more clearance between the top of the tire and fender but you will most definitely have to use wheel spacers to make enough room between the tire sidewall and the fender.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Depending on your needs rubber chains work well and one of the few options when clearance is a issue.

I've used them for a few years now on my tractor and very happy with them.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Depending on your needs rubber chains work well and one of the few options when clearance is a issue.

I've used them for a few years now on my tractor and very happy with them.
I am curious as to where you purchased and what type of rubber chains you have. Most of the ones I have seen are flimsy and could not stand up to tractor usage. What kind of jobs do you put them through? Thanks, always looking for options for tractor.
What tires do you run?

alleyyooper

Equipment
3301 and FL
Sep 20, 2017
Michigan
Ever give though to studing the tires? I use them on my ATV which allows me to go faster than chains will, easy to screw in and come in several sizes.
Shop for them as prices can be high some places. I like the Michigan mane Woody brand.

My 3301 has the ag tires and am going to switch sides to widen the stance and install a set of tire chains I have on them.

:D Al

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I bought a M7040 new in 2012 with R4 tires. I never gave much thought to the tire brand Kubota would put on a new machine.

The tires are made in Czechoslovakia with the brand name Mitas.

After a couple of years, I decided to invest in TRYGG studded chains for the rear. The chains were advertised by TRYGG as needing no fitting. Cost $1,500.

When I started to install them they were too long. It took me a year with help from TRYGG, which I commend them for, to get them fixed.

In the mean time the chain on the right side came off, hooked unto the step into the cab and bent the shxt out of it,

The Tire and Rim Association publishes tires and wheel dimensional standards which all manufacturers follow.

My Mitas tires were 3" in diameter smaller than the Tire and Rim spec and that is why the chains did not fit.

Trygg convinced their distributor in Quebec Canada (Chaineselect.ca) to modify the chains to fit my undersized tires at no cost to me. I had to ship the chains to Quebec but here a friend in the trucking world helped out and the shipping was free.

I wrote to Kubota Canada but was ignored. Why a company with a great reputation would first put such tires on a new machine and second ignore the owner who is complaining. It makes no business sense that I can see.

From Tire and Rim Association:
Standard 16,9 x 28 ***8211; R4 tire is approximately 55.52 inches high.
I placed large carpenter***8217;s level (horizontal yellow tool) on top of the tire lug and measured to the ground.
52.625***8221;

Almost 3 " smaller in diameter which, using old math formulas: C= 2xpi x radius: Circumference, or length of tire chain would be
For Mitas tire: 165.25
For tire meeting spec 174.42" which is the one I received from TRYGG

In simple terms my chains were 9" too long.

My main point in all of this is to make certain your tires are made to the international spec size before ordering chains.

Dave M7040

Last edited: