rear axle housing bolt torque

dnewton3

Equipment
L3430GST and L3830GST
Dec 19, 2021
Indy
Hello All -

I just joined and I'm looking for info that may help me ...

I just replaced the rear axle seals in my L3430 GST. Not a difficult job other than all the ROPS bolts. Upon putting it back together, I will need to know the bolt torque for the axle housings (where it mates up to the main trans housing). I've searched a few websites and found nothing as a repository for bolt torque values. I am hoping to be able to avoid buying a shop manual ($114 at Messicks) simply to get some torque values.

Anyone have the torque specs, or know where I can get them for free?
Or, if anyone has a used full shop manual they'd like to sell (in good shape) I'd be willing to buy. (part number 97897-13000 according to Messicks).

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello All -

I just joined and I'm looking for info that may help me ...

I just replaced the rear axle seals in my L3430 GST. Not a difficult job other than all the ROPS bolts. Upon putting it back together, I will need to know the bolt torque for the axle housings (where it mates up to the main trans housing). I've searched a few websites and found nothing as a repository for bolt torque values. I am hoping to be able to avoid buying a shop manual ($114 at Messicks) simply to get some torque values.

Anyone have the torque specs, or know where I can get them for free?
Or, if anyone has the full shop manual they'd like to sell (in good shape) I'd be willing to buy.
Bolt size and pitch is all you need to look it up. This is not going to be a critical number.

Dan

dnewton3

Equipment
L3430GST and L3830GST
Dec 19, 2021
Indy
Bolt size and pitch is all you need to look it up. This is not going to be a critical number.

Dan
I appreciate that, but it's not a complete answer I was looking for.

I can certainly get the bolt thread pitch and size, but where are the tables to "look it up"? Are you saying that any internet based metric torque chart is sufficent? Would Kubota not have specific torque values for the axle housing? I can certainly understand that more simple/common bolts like ROPS bolts, fender bolts, etc could be a common reference value, but I would have thought the axle housing bolts perhaps had a more specific value and not the wide range of a common bolt torque chart. For one thing, I'm not sure if I can determine the bolt grade ... which means I can't really determine the bolt torque from a generic chart.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I can certainly get the bolt thread pitch and size, but where are the tables to "look it up"? Are you saying that any internet based metric torque chart is sufficent? Would Kubota not have specific torque values for the axle housing? I can certainly understand that more simple/common bolts like ROPS bolts, fender bolts, etc could be a common reference value, but I would have thought the axle housing bolts perhaps had a more specific value and not the wide range of a common bolt torque chart. For one thing, I'm not sure if I can determine the bolt grade ... which means I can't really determine the bolt torque from a generic chart.
Use grade 8.8

Dan

81HOHszn-zS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

dnewton3

Equipment
L3430GST and L3830GST
Dec 19, 2021
Indy
OK - Thanks for the input Dan!

I've found several charts online and (as expected) there's no "one size fits all" value for any particular application. I'll probably just average the values between charts; there's only a few FT-LBs difference between the several I've looked at.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Maybe this could help

Please verify its your tractor

dnewton3

Equipment
L3430GST and L3830GST
Dec 19, 2021
Indy
Well - things aren't as clear as I had hoped.

According to the manual provided by FT86, on page 3-S35, in the middle of the page where it shows the rear axle, it states specific torque values but then states "except L3130, L3430" ...
so it excludes the info I need (L3430), but I don't see anywhere that it states what that value should be.
On one hand, I can understand where the "standard" torque chart at the front of the manual might apply, but here's a perfect example of why one should always double check. Unfortunately, I'm not really convinced that I have the right answer yet.
- If the standard values from the main torque chart were to apply, then why would Kubota have gone to the effort to call out specific values on that 3-S35 page?
- But they then make a sub-category effort to exclude the L3130/L3430 chassis from that page call-out, and yet leave me hanging with no info as to what that chassis should use for axle housing bolt torque. There's no redirect location for the L3130/L3430. Are we to "assume" to revert back to the main torque charts, or did they intend to include additional info, and then forgot to put it into print???
:mad:
Typical of many poorly fact-checked manuals, it's clear as mud.
Do this ...
But not if this your condition; instead ...
Do that ...
But not if you have these; instead ...

Thanks to all Dan and FordTech86. I greatly appreciate the extra efforts!
I hope someday i can repay you, or pay it forward.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I going to set my torque wrench to 60, based on the averages from some of the internet torque-chart sources I had researched. Clearly I was pretty close and you all are spot-on.

Thanks to all Dan and FordTech86. I greatly appreciate the extra efforts!
I hope someday i can repay you, or pay it forward.
Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
You are quite welcome.

Just for future reference here is a general purpose table I found in one of the Kubota WSM's. It is pretty comprehensive and identifies the mysterious head markings they use on many of their factory fasteners. If you look closely those markings appear to be correspond to DIN class 5.8, 8.8, and 10.9. It also has a column for use with steel fasteners in aluminum housings. That's one you really need to watch out for if you don't want to learn how to install thread repair inserts.

Many if not most of the torques given in the WSM pages are straight from this table and IMO this table should be in every manual they print. I must confess however I have been using the German GuttenTight spanner method for the last 60 years with excellent results

Hope you find this useful and Merry Christmas!

Dan

FastenerTorques.jpg

dnewton3

Equipment
L3430GST and L3830GST
Dec 19, 2021
Indy
I have measured my bolts and they are 10mm (nominal), marked with a "7" (grade).

I think I have the answer, but it's my interpretation of their poorly inferred info on page 3-S35.

in that area for the rear axle, they call out four sections:
1) M10 screw and nut (grade 7)
2) stud bolt
3) M10 nut (9T) (also has the "except L3130, L3430" language)
4 M12 screw (also has the "except L3130, L3430" languange)

My tractor ONLY has M10 bolts and nuts, and they are marked grade 7. I don't have any M10 marked grade 9, nor any M12 screws. Hence, I believe that category 1 is the right selection for my application.

In that first category, both the M10 screws and nuts are shown as grade 7; they are to be torqued at 35-41 ft-lb. That range also exactly corresponds with the general torque chart on page G-10, for a M10 bolt of grade 7, going into "ordinary" material (not aluminum).

Dan - I believe that the recommendation of 57-66 ft-lbs is incorrect. I'm not saying that to be argumentative or rude; I'm just clarifying that I believe your first recommendation is wrong.

The value I'm going to use is 40 ft-lbs.

Thanks again.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have measured my bolts and they are 10mm (nominal), marked with a "7" (grade).

I think I have the answer, but it's my interpretation of their poorly inferred info on page 3-S35.

in that area for the rear axle, they call out four sections:
1) M10 screw and nut (grade 7)
2) stud bolt
3) M10 nut (9T) (also has the "except L3130, L3430" language)
4 M12 screw (also has the "except L3130, L3430" languange)

My tractor ONLY has M10 bolts and nuts, and they are marked grade 7. I don't have any M10 marked grade 9, nor any M12 screws. Hence, I believe that category 1 is the right selection for my application.

In that first category, both the M10 screws and nuts are shown as grade 7; they are to be torqued at 35-41 ft-lb. That range also exactly corresponds with the general torque chart on page G-10, for a M10 bolt of grade 7, going into "ordinary" material (not aluminum).

Dan - I believe that the recommendation of 57-66 ft-lbs is incorrect. I'm not saying that to be argumentative or rude; I'm just clarifying that I believe your first recommendation is wrong.

The value I'm going to use is 40 ft-lbs.

Thanks again.
This is really not as complicated as you are making it but the WSM is pretty confucing. I gave you torque for M12 fasteners which is how I interpreted the WSM.

If in fact your cap screws are M10 with a head marking of 7 they correspond to DIN property class 8,8.
The recommended torque for that fastener from the general use table I just posted is 35.5 - 41.2 lb-ft.

Dan

dnewton3

Equipment
L3430GST and L3830GST
Dec 19, 2021
Indy
I understand; thanks for clarification.

I moderate a few other websites. I realize how lurkers and newbies can often get info that is, at times, misleading or incorrect; it happens more often than you think. The engineer in me wants details to be correct. Your statement, while correct for a M12 bolt, is misleading beause no M12 bolt exists in the axle housing in the L3130/L3430; they are all M10. If a noob reads your answer, doesn't check the actual bolt size, and just torques his/her M10 to the higher value, that could result in either a broken bolt, or worse, a cracked brake housing (which is what the axle housing bolts to). The correct value is nominally 40 ft-lbs for my application.

Rather than Kubota making a separate chart on page 3-S35, which is confusing and leads one to believe unique values are in place, yet then exclude some chassis applications, how hard would it have been for them to simply print the following:
"For proper axle housing bolt torque, use chart on page G-10."

Regardless, thanks for the help.