Ready for a Bigger machine

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I have a Farntrac 545 that I bush hog properties with. It is 42 HP 37HP at the PTO. I swing a John Deere MX6 rotary cutter. The old school machine does good with the heavy cutter, but I have to slow down too much to keep from bogging in the heavy stuff.

I also have an L3901DT that I use for much the same purpose. It swings a 5' rotary cutter and does okay - but again it is slow in the thicker stuff.

I would like to consolidate and I am looking for recommendations. The L3901 is too light, but it is very nimble. I seek a machine that will have enough PTO HP to swing the 6' MX6 - and yet still be nimble enough to transport. I have looked at an M6800 and decided that it is just too big to be effective for my small bush hogging operation.

Must haves: 4WD and a FEL. Nice to have? HST - Shuttle shift is not outta the box though.

I would even consider a pre-emission unit if all was good.

Anybody got a niche machine for me to consider?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Look at older MX5100's or newer MX5200's
Not quite as bulky as a full M.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
After reading the posts of woe on here, I'd only consider a pre emissions unit. Like the most recent one with the dead battery and frying the ecm to the tune of 4 grand, not in my catalog of things to do or money to spend.

Problem is, finding a used pre emissions machine that hasn't been run hard and put away wet. They are out there but you have to look.

A Grand L 5030 would handle your needs and they came with HST too. I had one and it was a nice very able unit. Mine had a cab but I think they came in open station as well. Don't think they had hydraulic shuttle, just HST and Glide Shift. Mine was HST.

if you have to have new, an MX would be a good choice and the new ones are all HST. The older ones came with and without.

Myself, I'm partial to a hydraulic shuttle where you get the advantage of a gear transmission (little power loss) but no dry clutch to wear out but I believe to get a hydraulic shuttle you have to go up to an M Series in a pre emission unit.

I purchased a used M9 with hydraulic shuttle and a loader a few months back from a JD dealer that was traded in. I spent quite a bit of time going over it before I bought it and I still had to put a bit of money in it because people don't (as a rule) trade in tractors that are perfect. all in all, I came out pretty good but I did my homework before I bought it.

I wouldn't expect a bundle on your Farmtrac on a trade, think I'd sell it outright instead.

Have fun.....

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Would you be trailering the tractor or will it be staying on the property your maintaining? The bigger the unit the more truck and trailer will be required. I am fond of my MX5800. It has plenty of power to run my 6 foot brush hog. I have not bogged it down once. I believe there is 52 HP at the PTO so you should be able to manage. In my own personal opinion if you want a MX Series I would just buy the bigger one for the price difference. Good luck in your decision.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
If I read the post correctly, you are looking for a tractor that will handle your 6ft rotary mower (PTO requirement is 30HP on that model) and still be trailerable, with HST.

I have a Grand L3560 HSTC which pulls a 6ft Land Pride. Since the rotary mower you listed needs 30HP PTO, a Grand L4060 comes with 32HP PTO. So, the Grand series tractors will meet your needs with the exception is L3560.

The HST+ transmission is very nice, the size is nimble, and it has the weight to get the work done. The Grand series comes with both cab and open station.

Attachments

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
I wouldn't expect a bundle on your Farmtrac on a trade, think I'd sell it outright instead.
LOL Farmtrac: I promised my wife I would sell it after I bought my L3901. I never did because it is sooooo good on the heavier jobs. It's tough as nails and it's hard to beat that old school weight and simplicity. That said it has profited me more than my L3901 ever will. I wont even try to trade it off, Ill probably have to give it away because everybody is scared of them.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a Farntrac 545 that I bush hog properties with. It is 42 HP 37HP at the PTO. I swing a John Deere MX6 rotary cutter. The old school machine does good with the heavy cutter, but I have to slow down too much to keep from bogging in the heavy stuff.

I also have an L3901DT that I use for much the same purpose. It swings a 5' rotary cutter and does okay - but again it is slow in the thicker stuff.

I would like to consolidate and I am looking for recommendations. The L3901 is too light, but it is very nimble. I seek a machine that will have enough PTO HP to swing the 6' MX6 - and yet still be nimble enough to transport. I have looked at an M6800 and decided that it is just too big to be effective for my small bush hogging operation.

Must haves: 4WD and a FEL. Nice to have? HST - Shuttle shift is not outta the box though.

I would even consider a pre-emission unit if all was good.

Anybody got a niche machine for me to consider?
If depends upon what you mean by "heavy/thicker stuff" and "slow down too much."

It appears that you have already discovered that 37 PTO HP is not enough to pull a 6' cutter through the "heavy/thicker stuff" at a speed that you find acceptable.

FWIW: I pull a Woods BB720X 6' cutter with my 53 PTO HP L6060, and it is quite easy to choke it out in the heavy/thicker stuff.

HP is kind of like money; some's good and more's better. The downside to more is cost and machine size.

You will need 65-70 PTO HP to pull a good 6' cutter through heavy grass at 5 or 6 MPH. BTDT.

SDT

Last edited:

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
Ya know the L6060 wasnt even on my radar. But that would be the machine to have for my needs. Not as big as the M series but plenty of HP

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Glad you found something you like. I know I have been very pleased with my Grand L. Nice tractors! Maybe someday I will have a need for a bigger Grand like the L6060.