RCK60-27B Mower Problem

midmichmom

Equipment
B2910, RCK60 Mower
May 3, 2018
Howell, Michigan
In 2009 my husband, deceased now, heard a disturbing noise in the mower. He got it repaired- after checking all 3 spindles, removing the center blade & gear box, checking all gears and reinstalling everything, the dealer removed trim side spindle, replaced the bearings in it and installed new blades. It was good as new. My neighbor helps me with repairs now. The mower had no problems. He took off the blades, sharpened them and cleaned all the crud off them. Then installed them with his equipment- air compressor and attachments. I started mowing and heard a new noise right in the center of the mower. Since my husband was very concerned about the noise he heard, I was also. I mowed for awhile and it seem to be getting worse. I had my neighbor look at it and he thought the blades were attached okay but thought there was play in the center blade. He realized there was a problem but thought it would be okay to continue mowing. I mowed about 2 acres but was still concerned about the noise I was hearing. Another neighbor came by and looked at it also. He had me give it a lot of throttle and then quickly cut out the high throttle. Big change when that was done. Keep in mind this problem was not there before the blades where taken off. I'm not knowledgeable about equipment so since I took the mower off (Yes, it quite a job for a 80 yr old lady!) I can't accurately describe the sound I was hearing or if it changed as I mowed. But the sound was constant when the mower was running. One UTube guy flips it over to work on it. My husband usually hung it with a chain from the loader. The neighbor who put the sharpened blades on it lifted it up with the loader and worked under it still attached to the tractor. I really thought it would be better to work on it off the tractor but didn't want to challenge his helping me. Does anyone have an idea of what to look for? I keep it greased, the oil level in the gear box is okay- a little comes out when the check plug is opened. We probably need to check the bearings for the center blade. The problem sound is in the center of the mower not on either side. I've looked at the Kubota Mower Manual and printed out Blade and Pulley holder parts and diagrams so that most likely will help. Hopefully it's just a bearing that needs replacement like the repair that was done in 2009. At that time the tractor had 526 hours on it. Now it has 1,264 hours. The tractor Model is B2910. How important is blade balance? If I bought new blades would that help since they would be in balance? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Once we get the problem solved I'll let you know what was done. But for now I wish it would stop raining so the grass will go dormant!

needed new bearing

LorenS

Equipment
B2150HSD, Land Pride AT2572, Koyker 120 FEL
Mar 22, 2021
If it were mine, I would loosen the belt and position it so I could spin each blade at a time without any interference from the belt. If the center spindle makes more noise than the other two I would feel relatively confident a bearing was bad. However, even if they all sound the same it COULD still be a bad bearing because they will "growl" more when the belt is putting a load on them.

If you can wiggle that center blade more than the other two that's another sign of a bad bearing.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
OP, since it appears the deck was removed and reinstalled for cleaning and sharpening, I would also check the driveshaft and u-joints since you state the sound seems to be coming from the center of the deck. Good luck, hope you find the cause of your mower noise.
Regards.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
In 2009 my husband, deceased now, heard a disturbing noise in the mower. He got it repaired- after checking all 3 spindles, removing the center blade & gear box, checking all gears and reinstalling everything, the dealer removed trim side spindle, replaced the bearings in it and installed new blades. It was good as new. My neighbor helps me with repairs now. The mower had no problems. He took off the blades, sharpened them and cleaned all the crud off them. Then installed them with his equipment- air compressor and attachments. I started mowing and heard a new noise right in the center of the mower. Since my husband was very concerned about the noise he heard, I was also. I mowed for awhile and it seem to be getting worse. I had my neighbor look at it and he thought the blades were attached okay but thought there was play in the center blade. He realized there was a problem but thought it would be okay to continue mowing. I mowed about 2 acres but was still concerned about the noise I was hearing. Another neighbor came by and looked at it also. He had me give it a lot of throttle and then quickly cut out the high throttle. Big change when that was done. Keep in mind this problem was not there before the blades where taken off. I'm not knowledgeable about equipment so since I took the mower off (Yes, it quite a job for a 80 yr old lady!) I can't accurately describe the sound I was hearing or if it changed as I mowed. But the sound was constant when the mower was running. One UTube guy flips it over to work on it. My husband usually hung it with a chain from the loader. The neighbor who put the sharpened blades on it lifted it up with the loader and worked under it still attached to the tractor. I really thought it would be better to work on it off the tractor but didn't want to challenge his helping me. Does anyone have an idea of what to look for? I keep it greased, the oil level in the gear box is okay- a little comes out when the check plug is opened. We probably need to check the bearings for the center blade. The problem sound is in the center of the mower not on either side. I've looked at the Kubota Mower Manual and printed out Blade and Pulley holder parts and diagrams so that most likely will help. Hopefully it's just a bearing that needs replacement like the repair that was done in 2009. At that time the tractor had 526 hours on it. Now it has 1,264 hours. The tractor Model is B2910. How important is blade balance? If I bought new blades would that help since they would be in balance? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Once we get the problem solved I'll let you know what was done. But for now I wish it would stop raining so the grass will go dormant!

needed new bearing
Neighbor could have installed belleville washers backwards on center spindle, leaving blade loose on shaft. Easily done. Do all three blades cut as they should?

If OK, will need to remove the deck for closer inspection.

Despite what neighbors say, I would not continue using it without diagnosing and correcting issue.