R4 vs R1 on B2601

n3ckf

Equipment
B2601 w/FEL + BH
Jun 5, 2016
Volcano, CA
So i think i'm making the right call here but i'd like some advice.

I'm getting a B2601 as my first tractor to do a bit of lawn work (about 1-1.5 acres of actual "grass") and mostly clearing work on the balance of the 5 acres. (Pine forest mostly), and a little gravel driveway grading/maintenance and probably a little snow moving in winter.

Very little concrete (although the tractor will be stored on concrete and i have a pad available to change implements on which is cool).

I'm looking at getting it with R4's rather than R1s (which apparently is the standard thing).

Is this a mistake? When will i hate the fact i dont have R1s on the tractor?
Sales person thought the R4s were ok for what i was doing and that the main reason i'd want R1s if if i was doing a lot of stuff on wet/muddy ground.
(which i can probably resist doing)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You made the right decision, we use R1s on some of our bigger tractors but R4 on CUTs and SCUTs.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Yeah, I am new to this tractor owner ship thing also. Took long time to purchase my B2650 came with R4 and it works great. Have four acres of lawn use it for some loader work and will be doing snow. :D:D

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
My first BX had Ag tread and it worked well, when I went to buy my BX2660, I wanted the same on it. My dealer asked me to just try the R4 and if I didn't like them, he would change them out with anything else I wanted, R4s are still on it and put R4 on my L5030, L5740 and JD1025R.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first BX had Ag tread and it worked well, when I went to buy my BX2660, I wanted the same on it. My dealer asked me to just try the R4 and if I didn't like them, he would change them out with anything else I wanted, R4s are still on it and put R4 on my L5030, L5740 and JD1025R.
When I went to get my Bx25d - dealer said the same thing, said he WOULD put R1's on it, IF I really wanted too - but said that the R4's are more for what I needed. I had large Ag's on my old Ford 8n, and it never had a traction problem! I will have to admit - anything I would buy now would be R4, unless all I was doing is grass cutting, then turfs.

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi All, purchased B2650HSDC three weeks ago and using it lots. One thing it did not have was loader and I really wanted one so I had to add to purchase price. The loader has had lots of use moved about 12 bucket loads or more of broken up cement. Glad I had it. I will be making a spill gaurd as I rolled a piece of cement of and damaged headlight and hood. All good though. Had R4 tires and they are good for the all around job. Thought about turfs but then would likely not work as well all round even though I have 4 acres of grass. With R4 tires wont have to have two sets as feel with turfs would hav e to change back and forth. Anyway it is great with the cab and A/C etc. :D:D:D
See if this works. I uploaded a picture of tractor and my lovely wife in it. See the smile.:p:):D

Attachments

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I'll go against the grain here, I prefer R1 Ag tires. It's a traction thing. :cool:
For me, it's about the tractor and intended use, we have Ags on some, Industrial on others and even turfs on one.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I got R1's and am more then pleased I did. I bush hog and bucket snow. I have many many customers who are farmers. They all use R1's. But if your mowing a lot like a real home lawn. Then the R4's would work fine. I have lower land that gets wet that I use my mower on. I've never gotten stuck.

Vraz

May 22, 2016
Stillwater, MN
Took delivery of a new B2601 w/R4's yesterday. Have ~4 acres of overgrown pine with 0.3 acres of "lawn" (fescue, clover, etc). Spent 20 minutes with the MMM cutting the "lawn" yesterday and 2.5 hours with the rotary cutter clearing buckthorn and other random growth from under the pines. I was super happy with the R4s in both situations.

I have an old Ford 8N with R1/Ag tires and they are very hard on the "lawn". The R4s were not perfect, but very good. Driving over buckthorn and other nasty stuff, the R4s were better than my 8N ag tires (can use them to knock growth down before the rotary cutter hits them).

Briefly got stuck in a marshy area (lots of rain earlier in the week and little bit last night), but diff-lock plus 4WD pulled it right out. With only 2WD, the R1's are pretty important because traction can be lost in certain situations. A 4WD tractor gives extra traction via the drivetrain and that helps offset the difference between R4s and R1s.

Each situation is unique, but really enjoyed the R4s on my property. Best of luck.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I mowed my 3 acres with a '48 Case VAC with R1 on it. Mowed for 11 years. Im still rolling the bar imprints out of the yard 3 years later. R4 is the way to go unless all you do is mow.

Mike

Kubotadude

Equipment
B2650
Apr 14, 2016
Illinois
I believe the R4 is the best all around tire, and it is more puncture resistant. I mow a lot with MMM, and use the loader quite a bit. Since I have a 60" bucket, the front end can get very heavy with a load of wood. And I have a 52" rear tiller that is very heavy. I appreciate having the R4s with the stronger sidewalls. Traction is great.