Quick lumber question

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Hi guys
What do you call the first cut from the outside of a tree when it is being milled. The one with the bark still on it, sometimes used for cladding on fences and such. Google doesn't seem to know but I'm sure guys will sort it out.
Thanks

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
It can vary depending on your location, but it is generally described as a slab. Slab can also mean just as it sounds, a large thick piece of lumber with two parallel faces with two live edges (bark). A flitch is a thinner piece of lumber with two parallel faces with live edges. You don't have a board till you have four sides free of bark.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One use to be able to get all the SLAB wood you wanted for fire wood just for the asking,, not no more, at least around here

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
That sounds like the stuff. Probably can't get it here either. It's probably used for pellets

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wane, or waney cant.

Most production mills don't have it anymore as they debark before they start cutting, the unused edges are ground up and used for paper pulp or pellets.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep, slab.

Used to be able to get it free or cheap for firewood.

Others use it for fences, siding, etc. Nice rustic finish and hell, the bark is made to withstand weather...;)

Live Edge is cool stuff where they don't square a log to a cant, but saw usually thick (2" or so) "slab" cuts of logs leaving just the bark along the thickness of the plank. The slab will still have the log's natural contours/taper/figure along it's length from one-end to the other.

Commercial mills now use slab, after debarking, for other purposes. In hardwood country around here, much slab is chipped and burned to heat kilns at the mill to dry the sawn hardwood lumber. Pellet mills also benefit from the waste products.

Wane is when a part of a board still has some bark left on it after sawing, which alters the finished dimension a little. Usually one of the edges for part of it's length. We all see this if you look over the 2x's at a lumber yard.

A cant is a squared-off log, all 4 sides. A cant is the basic starting point to make dimensional lumber for the sawyer.

Magicman is our local expert sawyer.

I hope he corrects me if I missed it! :)

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
You guys are spot on so there will be no correction from me.

My plans are to move my sawmill to a job tomorrow but I will only be sawing timbers. I'll have to post a few pictures.