Quick Attach conversion- question re plate thickness

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
After my incredibly lucky acquisition of a SSQA for my loader, I'm looking at weld-on adapter plate for my pin mount bucket. I see plates in 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", and even 1/2" thickness. The QA mounts around the pins are 3/8 and my bucket is a HD round back bucket and the mounting tabs are 3/8". I'm thinking 3/8 for the weld-on is the common sense choice? If nothing else the welding will be joining same thickness.
I'll be cutting the tabs off by just enough to take out the pin bushings (about 2.5") which will still allow enough room to get good weld.
Main question is plate thickness.
Thanks!

BigYoung

Equipment
M4900 w/ 1002FEL
Mar 20, 2017
Laplace, LA/Fairfield TX
KC, I'll push your thread back to the top and add:

I have a Kubota SSQA coupler ordered for my LA1002 Loader and need an adapter plate for my bucket. I'm thinking about leaving the bucket ears and welding the plate to the end of the ears. What do you think about this idea - downsides? maybe some dialogue will trigger a plate thickness suggestion for you.

Thanks

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
3/8" isnt overkill.if welding that thickness of material isnt a problem for you then
Go for it.
As far as leaving tabs on bucket, i guess its a matter of preference.
Myself, i would minimize the distance between bucket and ssqa plate. Lift capacity and bracket strength increases as it gets shorter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With a full back bucket, you don't need anything more than a 1/4 plate, as the bucket will not flex, in fact don't use full plates at all get a skeleton or half plate to do the job.
The less weight you add the more lift you keep! ;)