Question for the guru's!!

kenders

Equipment
L2900
Nov 28, 2016
howell,michigan
Greetings,

New member here, I love the site and it has been a great resource. I am looking for Turf tires for my L2900 - 4wd -Front loader. I am a little confused on the ratio and making sure I get the correct Rim/Tire. Any help would be appreciated. I currently have AG tires on it and would like to use my tractor more on my yard without tearing it up.

1. What is the correct Ratio / Tire size?
2. Any recommendations as to where to get these?
3. Will my current rims still work?
4. My tractor has a little over 300 hrs on it, and am not against trading or selling my current AG tires if any one is interested.

I appreciate the responses.

Kraig

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I looked around earlier and it appears that there were two different sizes of turf tires for the L2900. A 13.6-16/25-8.50-14 was the smaller size and the other used a 41" rear tire and a 27" front.You will need different rims I believe.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would keep the ag tires. Turfs are garbage when it comes to actual tractor work. If you're just mowing the lawn you might be okay with them.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I'm with bulldog on this,turfs are good for-well, just turf. Ags arent that hard on a lawn if you stay off when its really wet. Keep tight turns to a minimum. While mowing i suspect you remove loader, then airing down front wheels would be in your best interest. Remember to air up when using loader.

bcarver

Equipment
l3200 Fel box blade, Bionic Blade, 4ft bush hog, Ken's bucket hooks
Dec 17, 2016
Crystal Springs MS
I am no guru but I got Industrial tires instead of Ag for the reason you said. It does most every thing I need but it must be dry. It does not cut ruts.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I guess it really boils down to what you use your tractor for.

If you use it in wet or ground engaging task you need ag tires.
On hard pack, mostly dry or loader work then r4's are great.
If you stay in the yard and limited loader work turf's may fit the bill.

No one tire is perfect all the time for every situation. If you use it as a tractor, not a loader, not a lawn mower then in most cases ag tires are the best choice IMHO. Yes, they are harder on the grass and lack the stiffness and floatation of a r4. Turf's are just that, made for turf. Turf's don't do well in mud and are to soft for loader work. A tractor your size can easily lift 1000 lbs and the side walls just can't handle that kind of weight.

My advise. Look hard at what you do. Each style has it's benefit and downfall. I often wish for a tractor for each task. Since that's really not a option you have to make one work for about everything. Tires are a huge factor so choose wisely.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Not a guru but more than plenty of experience in figuring it out.

First off we need to know what size tires you have now including brand in
order to get the rolling circumference specs to figure what ratio you have.
Once that's figured and you know what size tires and rims you'd need to
buy then you'll know whether or not you really want to change them cause
it's not going to be cheap it's a major investment that scares most people
off right away. You can easily spend $2k and be stuck with your current
tires and rims which isn't all bad because you could switch them back and
forth depending on the work you were doing probably needing more traction
etc.
Craigslist is a great place to shop for others trying to sell what they took off
and if you're not in a rush or place a want ad for yourself you just might find
someone wanting to trade for what you have yours suiting their needs etc.
Al

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I really wish they would make it practical to mix tire types on the same tractor. I would LOVE to run R4s on the rear and turfs on the front of my BX, but thanks to stupidity on someone's part, I'm told it's not doable. Why the hell does the tire diameter change with the tread type?

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
I really wish they would make it practical to mix tire types on the same tractor. I would LOVE to run R4s on the rear and turfs on the front of my BX, but thanks to stupidity on someone's part, I'm told it's not doable. Why the hell does the tire diameter change with the tread type?
Bob,
I'm with you and have made the suggestions to a couple different manufacturers to make their different treads and sizes uniform in rolling circumference for the 3 types of tread. R1 Ag R4 Industrial and R3 Turfs exactly the same and if they were the OE supplier too they'd own the majority of the compact tractor business. The customer then could simply buy whichever tread suited their needs and have no problems tearing or breaking anything up due to mismatched gear ratios. Of course as you pointed out Bob run the 2 different tread designs tho on the same tractor one would grip better or worse than the other and easy to cause some of the problems encountered running the wrong side.
The slippage has to be the same from and rear or it could cause a bind.
Al