Pushing the limits - box blade too big?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I have a B2150 and have been making do with a too small 48" roll-over box blade. Today, I acquired what appears to be an actual Gannon (no legible markings) 66" box scraper that looks exactly like these pictures. I was really looking for a 60" box, but talking to the guy on the phone, it sounded like this would be just fine. Until I got there and saw what a monster this thing is. Best I can tell from looking up specs on the web for near identical units (Woods Equipment 65HB), it should be right at 1000 lbs. Paint and finish is rough, but condition appears excellent with little wear, and I love the heavy build and ease of dropping the rippers. Tractordata says the 3 point is rated at 1014 lbs, and it can move it, though down stroke is very jerky/twitchy. And one good thing, unlike the little fella, I won't have to strap 200 lbs of steel onto it to make it bite! ;)

But, is this just too much? I mean, I have 14 lbs of safety margin, right? :eek: I have no doubt I could sell and/or trade for a more appropriate sized box, and probably come out way ahead on money since I would be unlikely to find anything comparable to this in the smaller size, and really don't need it. But I do have a lot of grade work to do on this property, and assuming the tractor can manage it, I think it would make it much easier and faster.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
To me from what you say your right on the hairy edge, but if the price was right you might swap or sell it out right for a 60 inch.. Of if you know someone that is a good welder and frabicator know say 3 inches off each side that should take maybe 100 pounds off,,

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. I could modify it myself, but the better move would probably be sell and find a more appropriate size if it doesn't work out. In any case, I'm pretty confident that it's a Gannon H120 from what I've found on the web. What's left of the labels is the right size, shape, and same location as examples I've found. Sure is a nice box, I'm hoping it will work out. Here is a link to another example, someone else got a good deal too.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
You need to keep in mind that you not only have to be able to pick up the weight of the implement, but whatever the additional force there is put on the implement with the material being moved.

In my opinion, you not only need a 5 footer, but it needs to be in the 600lb range for you to be able to get the most productive use out of it with YOUR tractor.

Remember, it does no good to have a super nice implement intended to be used with a different machine that you can use only some of the time. If it can't be used a major part of the time because of it's size-weight, not much reason to have the implement.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

You have a 48" ROBB, go get a 60" unit and be happy. :cool:

Last edited:

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I would give a shot at trying to use it, but I think you will find it too much for the little b to use effectively. Traction will become an issue.

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Agreed on all points.

But in this case, the limit for lifting is right on the line, and the force of use is not in lifting the 3 point, but rather the traction achieved with loaded R1s in this case. And it certainly has all the weight it would ever need, likely enough to take too large a bite for me to pull with the relatively light weight B2150.

Still, as is probably obvious from my post, I expect the general opinion will be to re-sell it to cover a more appropriate sized unit. I just am not sure, and didn't want to make assumptions. Maybe I can sell this for a profit and find a smaller one like it for comparable money.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Traction wont be all that much of an issue, but try to lift it even a little and you will find you are at the limit. If it carries it, i cant see much of a problem. Run it, if its too much to handle, trade it and move on.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I think I would look for a trade or just sell it outright. You're more than likely going to damage something on your tractor and then you've gained nothing.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, I guess I glossed over an important point. The tractor carries it just fine. I couldn't lift it off the trailer with the boom pole using the short loop. But once I got it off and on the 3 point, it lifted and carried it without complaint. The only indication of working at it's limit was the down movement was really harsh and jerky. And worries about breaking something are a big part of why I made this post. The factory rating places this implement within the allowed weight, though only just barely (based on what I've found). Which all feeds back into is it ok, or too much...

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Well, I generally feel pretty good about my assessment, it goes right along with the responses so far. I'm waffling between "sell it and find another rather than risk breaking something" and "it's within the manufacturer limits (even if barely), and it's a component where heaviest is better up until it's too heavy", repeat...

I can't really use it right now with holidays and visiting daughter+grandsons(x2), and unlikely to find a buyer now anyway. So after the first of the year I'll make time to try it out to determine if it really is just too big to use. Seems like given the safety margin still remains on lifting limit, it shouldn't break anything other than maybe tired old piston seals. And, at the same time, I'll put it for sale at about what I think it's worth, while looking for an equal version somewhat smaller (I think identical 60" would be perfect, and shed ~150 lbs). If it proves just too much, I'll apply more effort to selling/replacing soon and delay the regarding of my property. If it seems to work ok, I'll hold price firm but keep it for sale and watch for a replacement since it really is a bit large size wise even if it works ok, and I don't really like working tired old equipment at the limits even with a safety margin.

Then again, maybe the tractor will be fine with it and I will decide to keep it. It sure will be nice to be able to use a box blade without having to mount 200 odd lbs (depending on task) just to make it work at all, which I always had to do on the small unit.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll update when I know more.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I rented a 60" box blade. Used it on a HEAVILY compacted gravel drive with my L225. Bit more HP and weight than your "B" and at times; with turf tires, I'd loose all traction. Just didn't have the moxie to keep ripping. L225 calls for a 60" max. The point is... it matters what you're doing with the box. For me, the compacted surface combined with max box size was just two factors that didn't work together. Granted I was new at it and probably should have toyed more with Top Link adjustments to get less blade bite..... but then again..... riding not so close to max makes needing to find perfect settings less critical.

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, I finally got a chance to try it out today after swapping back to the R1s. In my opinion, it will work, but certainly not at capacity. It will cut, but just from gathering a box of dirt with the shanks engaged, the 3 point couldn't lift it until I let back on it. Just as I was afraid, it is simply too close to the edge to be practical. I don't think it would hurt the tractor in normal operation as long as bypasses and such are in order, but reverse pushing is out of the question.

So in the next day or so it will go up on CL to find a new owner. I'll also be watching for a good heavy duty 56-60" Gannon (preferably) box or roll-over. I found a few promising options in the appropriate sizes, but none close enough to fool with. The closest is in Wilcox, so if anyone his heading from Wilcox to Phoenix and doesn't mind a bit of extra load, let me know. ;) Or if any of you local guys runs across something, please pass it along. Maybe even someone who wants one bigger with a smaller one to trade.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've got a 65" Bushhog brand box and it's all my L3000 can handle working at full capacity. My tractor is well over 4K and it will loose traction with a full box. Just thought I would pass that on for a HP - weight - size ratio.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Excellent, thank you. That's just the kind of specifics I was hoping for.

My box went on CL yesterday.