PTO will not disengage

jtompson

Dec 4, 2012
Seabeck WA, USA
After using a 4' brush hog with my B7500 for about 5 hours s....when I tried to disengage the brush Hog the lever moved freely and does not appear to be doing anything other than operating the limit switch for the starter. The shear pins are fine.

Any ideas?:

Also I would also appreciate any advice you could offer with regard to brush mowing..speed of PTO, mower, etc.

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
I'm not sure if your tractor is similar to my L2900 or not. My pto does not disengage either. In the pto clutch there is a snap ring which holds one side of the clutch against the spring and keeps the two halves apart. The snap ring broke in half and the two halves of the clutch are constantly together not allowing the pto to disengage. I know this is what happened because when I removed the hydraulic filter I found both halves of the snap ring stuck to the magnet.
Because you have to break the tractor apart, the dealer said it would cost $1000-$1500 to replace the $2 part.
I hope this is not your problem, but if the two tractors are similar it could be what happened.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
What happens when you push the clutch pedal in? The pto should stop even if the control lever is still engaged.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
You have a two speed PTO- be sure that you aren't shifting out of the lower speed, past neutral, and into the higher speed. Or vice-versa- it has two speeds, with a neutral position in between.
Have you used the PTO before, and this just started, or is this the first time?

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Get a PTO Over Runn Adapter, the way my L1500 is made without the adapter I can shift the PTO to netrual and the brushhog will "Push" the tractor, (it is basically driving the transmission through the PTO), unless I hold the clutch in.

With the Adapter it doesn't do that, the Adapter is a one way clutch, it only engages from the PTO out but not the implement back to the PTO.

Best Regards

Paul

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Get a PTO Over Runn Adapter, the way my L1500 is made without the adapter I can shift the PTO to netrual and the brushhog will "Push" the tractor, (it is basically driving the transmission through the PTO), unless I hold the clutch in.

With the Adapter it doesn't do that, the Adapter is a one way clutch, it only engages from the PTO out but not the implement back to the PTO.

Best Regards

Paul
He may not need that. My 1990 B7100 has an internal overrun clutch. The B7500 is much newer (2000-2003), so it probably also has one.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
From the couple questions you asked I get the feeling you are a little new to this. Maybe there's nothing wrong, a brush hog will spin for quite a while after putting it in neutral. Don't let it fool you, it can go for a couple minutes.

As to speed, run the engine up to rated RPM (2600) when using implements, brush hog, & mower. Use the low speed PTO for brush hogs and high speed for mowers. Ground speed is determined by how much the engine looses RPM when mowing/hogging, you only want a slight dip in RPM every now-and-then when you hit the heavier grass. It sounds like a lot but the tools are built to spin at a specific PTO speed and that is at the rated RPM; besides, that is when your power is most efficiently developed.