PTO Question

jhamma1

Equipment
BX1860, 54"MMM, FEL
Apr 16, 2010
Haymarket, VA
I just had to have my BX1860 repaired for an oil leak. The fitting on the fixed hose that runs above the rear transmission case blew out (looks like was cross threaded from the factory).

Anyway, just got my little beastie back, and notice now when I engage the PTO for the belly mower, it takes about 5-6 seconds for it to actually engage and begin to spin the mower. This is definitely new behavior. At first I thought maybe it was some kind of HST oil priming issue, but it's doing it repeatedly each time the PTO is engaged - including if I have it running, disengage and reengage, it still takes 5-6 seconds for it to start turning the shaft again.

Guessing this is not normal. Any ideas as to culprit? To little/much oil? Oil level shows high on the rear dipstick, wondering if that's causing a problem and I should bleed some? Any other ideas? Thanks for the help... JH

jhamma1

Equipment
BX1860, 54"MMM, FEL
Apr 16, 2010
Haymarket, VA
Another note: the new line and fitting from the dealer was not properly torqued, and promptly leaking under pressure (when mid PTO raised to max height or when bucket control exercised). Was able to put a 1/4 turn on it and seems to have stopped the leak, but had no impact on the delay time in the PTO engaging.

jhamma1

Equipment
BX1860, 54"MMM, FEL
Apr 16, 2010
Haymarket, VA
Thanks JWB. I'm stymied on this one too. For good measure I bled the HST fluid level down to normal (my son had over-filled it by about a pint). Had no effect on the issue I've described...

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
The PTO pressure on these tractors was being set too high from the factory causing a noise and possibly some hyd fluid leaks. That may or may not have anything to do with your fluid leak. If the dealer adjusted the PTO pressure, it may effect your engagement time.