PTO play

AngleBlade1cc11

Equipment
M9000 4x4 W/loader
Dec 4, 2018
Scranton PA
I noticed my PTO has some slope in it. It moves in and out about a 1/2”. There is no side to side play just back and forth. A bearing inside that may have gone bad?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It's fine. The pto stub is splined and retained by a circlip and there is lateral movement before the circlip contacts the support bearing behind the outer seal. So long as there is no radial movement and the seal don't leak, ignore the movement. When working, there is minimal 'push-pull movement on the stub anyway.

Push- pull movement is handled by the sliding halves of the PTO shaft.

AngleBlade1cc11

Equipment
M9000 4x4 W/loader
Dec 4, 2018
Scranton PA
It's fine. The pto stub is splined and retained by a circlip and there is lateral movement before the circlip contacts the support bearing behind the outer seal. So long as there is no radial movement and the seal don't leak, ignore the movement. When working, there is minimal 'push-pull movement on the stub anyway.

Ok. I ran over to check a friend of mines tractor the same as mine and his doesn’t move at all. So thought for sure something was wrong with mine. The seal may be weeping a little, I’ll clean it up a bit better and run it and keep a close eye out. Thanks for the info.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Usually, the stub seal don't leak unless you overfill the transmission and the fluid is sitting against the seal constantly. The seal is designed to keep the fluid in but not have it constantly against it. Why it's important not to overfill the transmission. I run mine halfway between the low point and the full point on my dipstick. Sight glass, between the bottom and the center.

Both mine move in and out a bit. Never paid it any mind.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Usually, the stub seal don't leak unless you overfill the transmission and the fluid is sitting against the seal constantly. The seal is designed to keep the fluid in but not have it constantly against it. Why it's important not to overfill the transmission. I run mine halfway between the low point and the full point on my dipstick. Sight glass, between the bottom and the center.

Both mine move in and out a bit. Never paid it any mind.
As has been stated several times before, that is BS. The seal is made to be submerged in oil. In several applications, the seal is well below the oil level and is COMPLETLY submerged.
More Flip and his tall tails.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users