Proper voltage from regulator

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
I've been having battery and charging problems since I purchased my 245dt. I always knew the battery the previous owner had installed was too small so when it finally died this week I knew it was time to upgrade. Off to TSC I went, all the battery's with the right CCA were to big for my batt tray. Not to mention the air cleaner. I cut the old tray apart and extended it but I had to relocate the air cleaner. I made new brackets and got the battery and the air cleaner to share the allotted space. The tractor fired right up now for some voltage checks as I didn't think the gen was working either. Well all I could get out of it was 13 volts at all rpms. I read an old post by Vic that suggested taking the dynamo apart and cleaning all the crud out. Wow it was packed full of gunk and all of the stators were rust covered. Got it clean and shiny and reassembled. Put it back on and started the tractor and did voltage tests without hooking the batt wire up. I got from 15 to 45 volts as RPM changed. So now I know the dynamo works. Hooked it back up to the battery and I read 14.6v across all RPMs. Now my question; is this acceptable? I was expecting more in the 13.8v range. As I said it was very consistent at any engine speed and the battery had started the tractor a couple times so maybe it needed the extra volts.

Countrymech

Equipment
M125X, Case 1370, 1941 JD "B"
Dec 21, 2012
Nashville TN
I've been having battery and charging problems since I purchased my 245dt. I always knew the battery the previous owner had installed was too small so when it finally died this week I knew it was time to upgrade. Off to TSC I went, all the battery's with the right CCA were to big for my batt tray. Not to mention the air cleaner. I cut the old tray apart and extended it but I had to relocate the air cleaner. I made new brackets and got the battery and the air cleaner to share the allotted space. The tractor fired right up now for some voltage checks as I didn't think the gen was working either. Well all I could get out of it was 13 volts at all rpms. I read an old post by Vic that suggested taking the dynamo apart and cleaning all the crud out. Wow it was packed full of gunk and all of the stators were rust covered. Got it clean and shiny and reassembled. Put it back on and started the tractor and did voltage tests without hooking the batt wire up. I got from 15 to 45 volts as RPM changed. So now I know the dynamo works. Hooked it back up to the battery and I read 14.6v across all RPMs. Now my question; is this acceptable? I was expecting more in the 13.8v range. As I said it was very consistent at any engine speed and the battery had started the tractor a couple times so maybe it needed the extra volts.
14.6 volts is good, but it is considered right around the maximum that you want. Higher voltage than 14.6 can cause the battery to gurgle and spew.
Nice job on the DIY alternator service.

GSDGUY

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 7, 2009
Daleville,In
Thanks. I was ready to do an alternator with an internal regulator conversion but I guess I'll wait awhile now.