Progress on my old L260

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
I got this old L260 in early August. She was in dire need of some TLC. I have been fixin' and cleanin' and paintin' and I thought you'd all like to see the progress. Thanks to all the folks here who have helped me with info during this process!

Attachments

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
It has been absolutely filthy work, but very satisfying.

I have rebuilt the steering box, repaired the main gearshift mechanism, replaced a part on the 3PH, repaired the throttle linkage, welded cracks on the seat, and replaced rubber parts, changed fluids and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and sanded and painted and the shop is a real MESS! I've become close personal friends with Crystal and Greg at West Kentucky Tractor Parts as well as the local UPS driver. I'll clean the shop once I drive her out.

I still have a ways to go, but I am looking forward to tackling my first chore with the L260 :)

clawson

Sep 21, 2014
KY
I went and looked at a l260 today and was curious if you could give me a few pointers of what to look for on this tractor before purchasing? Also does this model need a overrun clutch pto assembly or is it built in? The tractor is very solid and runs good although the starter seems like it may need rebuilt because the battery appears "newer" but it cranks over slow. Thanks for the help.

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Clawson-

The weakest link on the old L260 appears to be the steering box. The design makes them prone to filling with water and, at best, ruining the insides, and at worst, physically splitting the steering box case when they freeze. Getting a new or used steering box case is about impossible. On mine the case was OK but the insides were junk. $500 worth of parts and some effort made her steer like a dream.

The other weak point is the fact that the L260 used a Z1300 engine and this was unique to the L260, so major engine parts are rare and pricey. Aside from that, if the one you see steers well and has a nice running / sounding engine and the price is right, I'd grab it. they appear to be a heck of a rugged machine. Keep it stored out of the weather to keep water out of the steering box.

They are a no-frills kind of tractor, nice and simple and easy to work on. I have found all the parts I have needed - just more expensive than typical old tractor parts.

Ren