Problems with an old L260

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
i recently aquired a 1972 L260, with the Z1300 two cylinder. It was in an estate sale and the owner's widow wasn't able to provide me with much information on the machine except that it sat for the past few years while her husband was undergoing cancer treatments. We trailered it home and i drained the fuel and changed the oil. With a charged battery, it fired right off, and then started to run-away! No throttle control, no high rpm governer, the fuel shut-off not shutting the machine down. Had to manually lift the decompression lever to kill the engine. All linkages and levers to the pump working normally. I pulled the inspection cover of the pump and the oil inside was nasty! I cleaned up the inside the best i could, drained and filled the fluid in the pump and tried her again, with no luck. Run-away and had to clog the air inlet to stop her. My local Kubota dealer won't work on these older machines and referred me to a local diesel truck shop who quoted me over $1000 to go through the pump!!! Any help would be appreciated.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
My suspision would be a broken spring in the governor assy. I think there are 2 in there. You'll need a manual with pictures.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
ok, so there is a small diameter, very weak spring and a larger heavy duty spring in there. The smaller spring I know is fine, it was in my way when i partially disassembled the pump. The larger spring appears to be intact, it still had tension on it. Anyone know where i can get a parts explosion that still has some detail left in it?

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
ok, so there is a small diameter, very weak spring and a larger heavy duty spring in there. The smaller spring I know is fine, it was in my way when i partially disassembled the pump. The larger spring appears to be intact, it still had tension on it. Anyone know where i can get a parts explosion that still has some detail left in it?
www.tractorsmart.com will email you the parts list and views for free. There is one listed on their site for the L260.

It does not list grey market models but I guess the American cousin model number will have to do for us grey market model owners.

Profnohair

Last edited:

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Just got some really good quality PDFs from Messick's. Hopefully this weekend can dig back into this dude and get her figured out. All else fails, I found another diesel shop one town over that will go through the pump for about half that price! With as good of a deal as i got on the tractor, I would still be WAY money ahead!!!