Power loss, whats going on?

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
My son just bought an ‘08 L3240HSTC used with approx 370 hrs.

His first job for it required moving it about 5-6 miles, doing 1/2 hr of loader work then coming back home.

He had the trailer full with what was to be lifted so I volunteered to drive the tractor while he took the trailer there. This was my first time on a kubota tractor altho Im not new to tractors. I have a couple also, just not orange ones.

When I drove the tractor there, It did seem sort of sluggish especially on any grades. It has the auto-advance on it. A little over halfways there, while going on a slightly downhill grade it was like someone turned the key off. RPM’s dropped way off and when I let off the pedal and pushed it again it recovered. This done this about 3 more times till I reached the worksite. At the site it did it once actually dying out. There was several inches of snow there so I wasnt sure if I was pushing it too hard, but Im sure my NH or JD wouldnt have had issues. Got the job done and headed back and it did it one more time, dying out again. Started it right up and drove it back home with no more issues. In fact it seemed peppier and went up grades without the sluggishness.

My son just put new fuel and oil filters on and changed the engine oil, when he got it, less than an hour of runtime ago. It starts right up and runs very smooth. What’s going on with this in your opinions? What would you look at?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Two things come to mind: if hills are more likely to cause it, there may be some kind of junk in the fuel tank that floats around and partly blocks the intake. Second is your weight is shifting enough that the seat switch thinks you're falling off the tractor. I am not sure how that model is outfitted, or if it had been modified by previous owner. Do you have a shop manual for it? That's a nice tractor!

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Make sure there is no water mixed into the fuel. There might have been enough water to soak into the filter and cause you problems. Add some of the commercially made driers for diesel fuel.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And dont forget the filters, and maybe the air cleaner though I also lean toward the fuel

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
I didnt even consider the possibility it could be a seat switch. But then Im not sure how they function on a Kubota. I was sitting farther ahead in the seat than normal as I didnt care to adjust it for just one use by me.
I did notice though, that I could leave it in a range and dismount without it shutting the tractor off. I can do that on my JD but not on the NH and have no idea if thats normal on a Kubota. I didnt have time to get the manual out I guess, and forgot to ask my son.
I am not sure about the fuel, if water was involved or junk in the tank. Id think water would be evident in the filter base, the junk might be harder to locate. But I thank you for the pointer and will try to pump the tank out and look inside it next time I get over there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I didnt even consider the possibility it could be a seat switch. But then Im not sure how they function on a Kubota. I was sitting farther ahead in the seat than normal as I didnt care to adjust it for just one use by me.
I did notice though, that I could leave it in a range and dismount without it shutting the tractor off. I can do that on my JD but not on the NH and have no idea if thats normal on a Kubota. I didnt have time to get the manual out I guess, and forgot to ask my son.
I am not sure about the fuel, if water was involved or junk in the tank. Id think water would be evident in the filter base, the junk might be harder to locate. But I thank you for the pointer and will try to pump the tank out and look inside it next time I get over there.
Seat switch issue is the most likely candidate.
Second though was air or water in fuel system.
And as long as the HST pedal is in the neutral position and the PTO is not engaged you can get off of it and it will stay running.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I was raking hay one day when the tractor started to act as you have described. I checked the fuel filter and it looked OK. The tractor was still acting up so I changed the fuel filter. When I opened the filter there was a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the cup. I cleaned it up and put in a new, dry, filter and I was good to go.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Thank you all for your advice. I will certainly check out that seat switch next time Im there and also look for water in the filter. I appreciate your hrlp.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may also see what range it was in. Some Kubotas have a high range to be on a road with at higher speed. There is anecdotal evidence that they have trouble with hills and work in the high range.

Your son may have been helpful and put it in high. But you may know this since you have alternative experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Yes I was aware of the range choices. It done that in third high on the road and in second low while working. I do realize that 30 + or - hp isnt enough power to go up good sized hills without downshifting. Pretty much the same with my TC33D also, which is worse yet. I expected that, but didnt expect the sudden losses of power. Its very likely the seat switch as it seemed like a pretty comfortable ride and the seat was likely bouncing some without me noticing. I will say that its a very comfortable cab on that thing.