please walk me through a tach cable replacement

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Hi all,

I need to replace my tach/hour cable on my b8200. Please walk me through replacement. What pitfalls do I need to watch out for? Thanks for your advice.....

Ron

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you can access the retaining nuts on each end and see the path where the cable goes it's pretty straightforward, loosen the nuts until you can disconnect the ends then replace the cable. The biggest issue will be making sure you have the correct length cable. You may be replacing only the internal cable or the complete unit, sheath and all. A bit of lubricant on the internal cable will help it turn more smoothly. When finishing be sure the nuts are tight so it doesn't disconnect on its own.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Don’t let the inner cable fall out of the sheath and get dirty. If it does then clean it and lubricate it.

Don’t bend it sharply

Get the nuts pulled up and hand tight then snug them up with pliers gently

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Replacing the cable is the same as replacing a speedometer cable. I would start by taking only one end off and then grabbing the inner cable with a pair of pliers and pulling it out. Once out of the sheath, run the cable through a piece of cotton tee-shirt material and see if there are any broken wires that are causing the problem. If there are, you can purchase a new cable that will have an end that gets crimped on with the tool that comes with the cable. Use the old cable to get the exact length. If the old cable is broken, then you need to take both ends off and hopefully, you will be able to grab the broken end with a pair of pliers. If not, then you use the new cable to push the old one out. The cables come in various lengths, so take a measurement of the old sheath and add some extra for the new cable. Lubricate the new cable with a very thin coating of white lithium grease. Insert and when it bottoms out at the other end, you will need to turn the cable to get it to engage.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Replacing the cable is the same as replacing a speedometer cable. I would start by taking only one end off and then grabbing the inner cable with a pair of pliers and pulling it out. Once out of the sheath, run the cable through a piece of cotton tee-shirt material and see if there are any broken wires that are causing the problem. If there are, you can purchase a new cable that will have an end that gets crimped on with the tool that comes with the cable. Use the old cable to get the exact length. If the old cable is broken, then you need to take both ends off and hopefully, you will be able to grab the broken end with a pair of pliers. If not, then you use the new cable to push the old one out. The cables come in various lengths, so take a measurement of the old sheath and add some extra for the new cable. Lubricate the new cable with a very thin coating of white lithium grease. Insert and when it bottoms out at the other end, you will need to turn the cable to get it to engage.
Excellent walk through!