Please Help! Its raining on my new baby!

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
Hi all,

So I am one of those unfortunate souls that do not have a garage for my new B2601. Yeah I know they are meant to stay out in the elements and all that but I try to take good care of my stuff. I am looking for a nice tarp to cover it with for a while until I can figure something else out. Yes, I know all about those nifty little portable shelters but that is not feasible at this moment as I need all the space to turn my fifth wheel around, but do plan to figure something out eventually.

I was not sure which forum to post this in and this one seemed to make the most sense.

My question is about what kind of tarp I should be looking at the pros and cons of each.

I am looking at treated cotton duck canvas 12/18oz, cotton canvas 10 oz, and polyester 15oz. I don't mind spending a little more for the better tarp but no need to spend more than I have to, or worse, get it home and start using it and then find out I should of chose something else. I am getting the idea that the treated canvas can feel waxy, stain and smell. Cheap Polypropylene is out as I have plenty of experience with those and they don't last very long.

These suckers aint cheap and I want to get it right the first time.

Please your advice and comments are very welcome!

Last edited:

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Have you looked at car covers? For a long term solution, they might be a good idea.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Those pop up shelters are really portable, buddy has one he uses when he goes to car shows, my sister has one for the farmers market. Pop it up wherever, and take it down when its in the way.
Custom cover, they make them for cars and boats, why not a tractor ?

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
For years I used a Costco heavy-duty plastic tarp with excellent success.

Two years was the most I could get out of one but they are really tough. High wind, searing sun, and pouring rain doesn't phase them. They are inexpensive enough that they don't need babying and can be replaced whenever. About $20 for one so it comes out to $10 per year, or thereabouts.

The canvas ones are heavy, expensive, and a bit difficult to work with and store.

Plus, a replaceable tarp means that when the tarp gets all greasy and filthy from the tractor and the elements, you get to start over clean every couple of years.

I also used the Costco tarps to cover any implement with hydraulics or PTO features. Could do several implements with one tarp. Just used concrete blocks, pier blocks, old Trex decking boards, etc. to hold down the edges.

Then I had a shelter put up and no more tarping. That is preferable, of course but apparently not available for your situation.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here to rain on your parade! :D

Do you know how long that tractor has been out in the weather?
I'm betting you dealer does not have covered storage for all the tractors if any of his tractors.
While Kubota's are sweet, they are not made of sugar, they will not melt if they get wet! ;)

That being said, I do use a light weight plastic tarp over the winter to shield my tractor from snow and Ice.
I don't take it all the way to the ground as it needs to breath or it will sweat and cause you some serious issues!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Tractor supply and Northern Tool both carry the canvas tarps (as well as the poly tarps) I have used one (canvas) to cover my tractor and they do hold up well. They will allow water to seep through but they do not stain the paint. Occasionally the dust will get washed through and then sit on the tractor. No big deal to me but my tractor is pretty old.

I suggest that you go to a Home Depot or such and buy the big plastic tub (usually in the concrete mix area) and use that as a cover over the steering wheel and seat area (underneath the tarp). That will add a little more support for the tarp to help the water run off and provide better protection to the dash, steering, transmission and seat area.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a friend who bought several military trailers with the pintle hitches. They had the covers on them that covered everything but the open back.

I got a couple of them from him, and they make perfect "storage sheds". They're heavier they other products. You could fab a frame have a nice cover.

I used one for a calf "shed" last winter.

hurleyhuckster

May 19, 2015
Kingston, NY
Thank you for all the replies.

I completely understand that these thing are tuff as nails and will not be bothered that much by some rain and weather, but you know us anal homeowners, we want to take the best care of our stuff and keep any rust to a minimum. I was purposely being a little dramatic in my title just for fun :)

I completely agree with the comment about the grease getting all over the tarp as I have already experienced that the first time I covered it.

I will just use an existing polyprop tarp I had lying around for now until I figure it all out as it is fine for now and I am too busy thinking about spending my dough on a new grapple instead of a $150 tarp :D

Evaluating my property for a decent spot for shelter, but will need to make a spot so thats gonna have to wait, tons of other stuff to do with the machine.

Thanks again for all the replies.

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
One thing to keep in mind....If that nice heavy canvas cover freezes in the winter it will be as stiff as a board. If you need to use the tractor to clear snow it could be a problem getting the cover off.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I completely agree with the comment about the grease getting all over the tarp as I have already experienced that the first time I covered it...
Oh, man! You're 'way too dedicated! Chill and take time to read all the old posts, you'll learn all kind of neat stuff -- like taking your grease gun in your dominant hand, and a rag in your other hand; pump 'er full of grease, then use the rag to wipe 'er off! Then you don't have to worry about where you put your hand (or butt) when climbin' up or down (which is my usual grease-encountering moment).