Planning on a MX5800

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
After lurking on here & watching boatloads of YouTube videos I think for my application I’ve decided I want a mx5800. A loader & a backhoe at purchase, grapple, tiller & brush hog if not at purchase very soon after. Got a written quote from one dealer near me, a verbal quote from another near me that’s less. Questions are can a hydro thumb be added to a bh92 after purchase? Or is it either/or with/without the thumb? I want a root grapple so will land pride suffice or do I need to just get the EA grapple? Called EA & the sales guy suggested the extreme 60” for me. Will tractor supply’s county line brand work for the brush hog & tiller or go land pride or EA?
I have just bought 3.5 acres with Home on it that has a creek I wanna clean up & maybe dig a pond on. I have 13 acres that was clear cut maybe 10-12 years ago I wanna clear to pasture like area. Also my old house sits on 18 acres mostly wooded & hilly. All 3 places are within 10 miles of each other. I’m a truck driver so want a big enough tractor to be able to tell a difference in the places with the time I have at home to piddle with it. Sort of a toy as far as the tractor goes but want it to get some things done as well. Will also probably use it for wildlife plots on hunting lease. I applied for & got a congrats email back from KCC Pre-Approval for $40k today cause figure with the one written quote I have that will cover what I get at least at first minus down payment to get the zero for 84 payments. I’ve played on dads 30 hp Kubota a lot over the years but think a little bigger will help speed my progress up is why I’m goin to the mx series. I think a little tractor can do anything a big tractor can do, it just takes a little longer. Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Last summer I purchased an MX4800 with:

BH92
6' Land Pride Rotary Cuttter
84" Land Pride Grapple
84" Woods Box Blade

I ordered it with the hyd thumb, but there was about a month delay in getting the thumb so there is a three or four position fixed piece on the thumb in place of it. When the hyds arrived they picked up my tractor and installed the ram on a weekend. So no problem getting the thumb later. However there is quite a bit of routing of hoses.

Now I can only speak for what I have, the LP grapple is THE handiest piece of equipment for my tractor, I use it all the time. the box blade is great, it weighs 750 lbs so is a nice counterbalance for the FEL/Grapple.

I am very happy with all of the equipment, my only regret is I WISH I had ordered a top and tilt kit when I ordered the tractor as I can see now how handy it could be. it is pricy to buy now and could have been included with the original order

My advice would be to order all you can with the original order as it is no interest and they will often cut you a deal with more equipment.

Good luck, you are in for bunch of fun!

M

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Order the factory RR's from Messick's. With some practice you will almost be able to do the same as a land plane. Factory directions weren't great but the install is easy once you figure them out. I pulled the seat but wouldn't if I had to do it again.

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
This model has the DPF filter, but do they use the DEF fluid also or not?

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
This model has the DPF filter, but do they use the DEF fluid also or not?
No DEF fluid.

Basically you just keep the rpm's up and don't worry about it. I have done so and have one regen around 47 hours, (at 80 now), basically the little light comes on and it smells a bit different for about 10 minutes. I may have had more than one, but if I did I did not notice it.

M

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Went to the dealer that gave the verbal quote a few weeks ago again today. Got in writing my price. He stuck to his word & a little better. Will be buying from him. My question now is about my first bucket for the bh92 backhoe. 18 or 24 inch for it? I don’t want to have more bucket than I have backhoe but wanna be able to do all I can with the first one. Will probably end up with a narrow bucket later on for laying lines but either the 18 or 24 to start. It makes sense to me the 18 won’t be under powered but will the 24 be pushing the limits of the power I will have. Will be for digging out a creek & digging a pond sight here at home then another pond refurb at the land I have 10 miles away. Some stump digging will be attempted from the start as well. I’ve decided on the EA 60” extreme root grapple based on reviews & price compared to Kubota brand. The EA 60” bush hog will probably be my choice over the landpride but still researching that for now. Price is better on the EA & Teds videos seem to be showing it doing more than I’d ask of it. Thoughts on the woods gear drive tiller if anyone has that? The dealer seems to be pointing me towards it for my application

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Gonna take the dealer a little earnest money Friday & he’s gonna get my backhoe ordered & said it may take a couple weeks or so to get in & get the other stuff prepped. Backhoe is the only thing they don’t keep in stock. They have 3 of the mx5800”s on their lot. In the mean time I can work a couple weeks & wait till I’m home from truckin a few days in a row to sign papers, give him the rest of the down payment & take delivery. Still gotta decide 18 or 24 inch bucket so please give me some input on that. Talked to a friend today with a 45 hp Kioti that said he thinks 18 no problem & shouldn’t be a problem with a 24 but that stump digging will be easier with a more narrow bucket & he probably wouldn’t go over a 24 . Also said when the ground gets baked hard in late August the 24 is just that much harder to dig with because of surface area. That didn’t help my decision making a whole lot.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Gonna take the dealer a little earnest money Friday & he’s gonna get my backhoe ordered & said it may take a couple weeks or so to get in & get the other stuff prepped. Backhoe is the only thing they don’t keep in stock. They have 3 of the mx5800”s on their lot. In the mean time I can work a couple weeks & wait till I’m home from truckin a few days in a row to sign papers, give him the rest of the down payment & take delivery. Still gotta decide 18 or 24 inch bucket so please give me some input on that. Talked to a friend today with a 45 hp Kioti that said he thinks 18 no problem & shouldn’t be a problem with a 24 but that stump digging will be easier with a more narrow bucket & he probably wouldn’t go over a 24 . Also said when the ground gets baked hard in late August the 24 is just that much harder to dig with because of surface area. That didn’t help my decision making a whole lot.
Why not get them both? Not that pricey, might add 5 bucks a month.

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
That may be an option I hadn’t thought about on getting both. Just didn’t wanna go overkill with one that may or may not be too wide with the 24” bucket. Just dropped my deposit off to get the ball rolling to get the backhoe part ordered. Looks like I will have a tractor in a few weeks now for sure. Has anyone used a 24” bucket on a bh92? Did it struggle to dig with it?

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I have the 24" bucket on my BH92/MX5800. I have no trouble digging, but sometimes wished I had a narrow bucket for tree stump removal. I just ordered the ripper tooth so that I have more ability to remove the stumps. All together, I'd say that the 24" is fine, but a ripper tooth should calm fears that you may have needed a narrower one.

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania

The 24" may be good for scooping and leveling dirt - but if I could only have one bucket it would be the 16" or 18" -- but the comment above is also very viable - consider both - in the scheme of things its very few more dollars per month - and you have best of both worlds.

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
Thanks Boo!!! That’s what I was wondering. I figured either a ripper tooth or a 9 or 12 inch for stumps later if not at purchase. All this stuff has a way of adding up really fast. Did u get the ripper from Kubota or aftermarket or make it? This is way more of an investment than I thought I was gonna make when I started out looking at the bx23s. I just didn’t wanna buy one then wish I’d went bigger a few months later & end up spending more money in the long run. If the 24” works for u on the same setup I’m getting, it should do me fine as well. Thanks for the reply again Boo. What other tips or tidbits can u allow me about your attachments for your 5800? Or anyone else please feel free to chime in also. Buy once cry once on Equiptment, optics & guns for me at least

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
CSS, thank you also. Was kinda my thoughts also as an all around bucket size. If the tractor & backhoe have the umph to dig with the 24 was my biggest concern. I don’t do digging for a living so didn’t want or think I needed the full assortment of sizes but wanted the biggest I can get to start that won’t bog the machine down. I had told the dealer to get the 18 unless I called him back. Well, bout to make that call for the 24. May end up with a 18 later but cleaning that creek out & digging my pond seems to go faster with the 24, at least it does in my head. May be bad wrong on that

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
Congrats on your purchase I just bought my MX5800 this fall and I haven't put a lot of Hours on it yet but I have been redoing my barn. I bought a set of pallet forks and I have used them way more than the bucket. I replaced slide barn doors with garage doors using the forks. Raised up my forks 3/4 way up the slider door and strapped it on. Removed the bolts and drove the door away from the building. Saved a lot of time and backaches! If you can get those thrown in you might consider. Everything I own now is on a pallet and can be moved at anytime. Just food for thought!

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Thanks Boo!!! That’s what I was wondering. I figured either a ripper tooth or a 9 or 12 inch for stumps later if not at purchase. All this stuff has a way of adding up really fast. Did u get the ripper from Kubota or aftermarket or make it? This is way more of an investment than I thought I was gonna make when I started out looking at the bx23s. I just didn’t wanna buy one then wish I’d went bigger a few months later & end up spending more money in the long run. If the 24” works for u on the same setup I’m getting, it should do me fine as well. Thanks for the reply again Boo. What other tips or tidbits can u allow me about your attachments for your 5800? Or anyone else please feel free to chime in also. Buy once cry once on Equiptment, optics & guns for me at least
I have quite a few attachments and find I use some more than others. The 24" bucket has been very good for the things I needed to do. I just finished laying a gray-water drain line and, while the 18" may have worked, it was good to have those last few inches of width to work with. I purchased the ripper-tooth (which I am still waiting on) from a company in Canada. They sent it USPS and that has been a problem in my end. I'm trying to find where it is now.
I have a flail mower which is nice but not needed that much, a box blade which I can pull dirt around with but I don't have to skills to level a road with it. I have a grader blade, but it doesn't work well behind my tractor as it rises and falls when my tractor goes over rises and falls. So, I bought a grader-scraper to do my roads.
I have a post-hole differ with a 12" auger that works really well for installing 6 to 8" posts with quick crete.
Single bottom plow, lifting bar, landscape rake, skid steer forks, man lift, bucket, and grapple.
As I get older, I need more machinery.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
I got the top link spool kit from my local dealer. Called later for a second spool for tilt and Messick's was about 1/3 cheaper. Cylinder from surplus center and hoses from a local hydro company I use. There's a thread here about my install.

No need to pull the seat, that was a pain.
Use baling wire to mimic the hose routing then measure it. I've got 90's coming off the top link but I'm a fan of elegant plumbing.
Get one spool with float.
PM if my other thread doesn't help.