Piston rod

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I think your missing the fact that none of these comments were directed to you.

You got straight answers as to why you can't pull the rod out the bottom.
I don't see any posts poking fun at you or bashing you.
Did I miss something?
Yup!
"would have went to fb"

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I have heard of a lot of ways that cars were "doctored" for sale by unscrupulous used car dealers, however, I have never heard of a meat rind trick. Sounds interesting, can you elaborate on the procedure, how it is done, and what it hides from the unsuspecting prospective customer?
So, which one of the following 2 replies offend you?

Meat rind trick= There was a time when families raised one or more hogs for personal consumption. Hogs slaughtered on site were cured with skin intact to facilitae storage in the absence of refrigeration. During storage skin took on consistence and toughness similar to leather. Shady dealers confronted with a knocking rod might place a piece of skin between rod and crank. This would temporarily quit the knock allowing dealer to sell the vehicle. Need I say dealer was selective in selling it to someone unlikely to return and bash his head in when the truth was discovered?

Interesting there was a legitimate use for the procedure. In this same depression/mid-century era a person with good hands could make money harvesting fruit in California. Sharecroppers cotton field laborers of SE states had the best hands to be found so they could easily triple wages picking fruit. It's a long way from Dixie to the West coast and few owned cars up for the trip or enough money to buy one. Manys a people set off in worn out cars with jugs of used motor oil,water bags and "pork skin inserts ". Point being cars with serious problems could be had for a days wages and once on West coast they could buy a new one shortly. They might drop the pan several times before reaching their destination. In some cases cars broke down beyond fixing on side of road,were abandoned and families hitch-hiked the rest of way but the patched up car got them closer than when they started. Escaping dust bowl in the movie Grapes Of Wrath depicts struggle pretty well.

I haven't lost any sleep over either post however I do feel an air of self-centeredness/egocentrism is unnecessarily fostered on OTT.

Last edited:

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
I apologize for not going back to my room and closing the door… But…this is a picture from that other thread. Apparently connecting rods are two piece like I had imagined, as they are on a typical gasoline engine.

View attachment 129977

So if anyone can explain to me why, if it’s possible to remove the oil pan and the head while the engines in place, why it would not be possible to remove the connecting rod/piston, it would help me sleep better during the afternoon nap that I never take…🙂

I’m absolutely missing the point why the engine would have to be pulled out to remove a connecting rod/piston (the original question), IF the oil pan could be removed and the head could be removed while the engine is in place.

If anyone can explain exactly what I missing I’d appreciate it.

edit: 😂😂😂 You guys have proven again that you’re a lot smarter than I am! Or at least you read better and pay attention to the details! After reading the original question, probably 10 times I see that the OP wants to pull the piston connecting rod out the bottom of the engine. I would’ve never thought to ask that on my own in a million years…
most connecting rods are two pieces, the main shaft, then the part on the bottom that bolts around the crank, onto the bottom of the rod, the bottom piece is held on with two bolts that fasten it to the lower section of the rod. just like a car/truck engine, once the oil pan is removed, you then unbolt the lower section, then tap, hammer..how ever it takes ?..to work the rod/piston out the top of the engine. mind you, the head has to be removed before you can get the piston out the top.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think your missing the fact that none of these comments were directed to you.

You got straight answers as to why you can't pull the rod out the bottom.
I don't see any posts poking fun at you or bashing you.
Did I miss something?
I can see how the OP might have interpreted my comment that “in 1 million years I wouldn’t have thought to ask that question” as a smart assed remark. But it was not intended that way. And at that point he had not joined back into the conversation after his original post as far as I remember.

Anyway, I think North Idaho Wolfman is right on the button as far as how people tend to react at OTT. My impression is that the world here is really actually pretty kind and cooperative, and while we do have an occasional smart assed remark, they’re actually pretty rare. And to great degree, not meant to be that way…

Reactions: 1 user