Piston rod

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Can a piston rod be replaced on a L2350 from the bottom without removing engine ?
No.

The rod has to be removed from the top of the block after the head is removed.
Why do you want to replace a rod?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
No.

The rod has to be removed from the top of the block after the head is removed.
Why do you want to replace a rod?
I would have guessed the answer would be yes…unless it was not possible to remove the oil pan without removing the engine.

Granted the head has to come off but that usually can be done with the engine in place...

But the main question remains: Why? (y)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I would have guessed the answer would be yes…unless it was not possible to remove the oil pan without removing the engine.

Granted the head has to come off but that usually can be done with the engine in place...

It looks like we are reading his question differently. To me, he is asking if the rod can be replaced from the bottom of the engine, just by removing the pan.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There are no shortcuts when it comes to repairing an engine block. You either do it correctly the first time, or you will be doing it over again much sooner than you had expected. I have known people who would pull the pistons and put new rings on them hone the cylinder walls and put standard bearings on the connecting rods and mains. They called it an engine rebuild, but it would start to come apart in just a few thousand miles of driving. Within 10,000 miles it was burning oil worse than before they did their "rebuild".

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

You have to remove the wrist pin from the piston in order to remove the rod.
How are you going to do that with the piston in the cylinder?

Reactions: 1 user

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have a knock and I have metal shavings in the oil and oil filter. I need to fix it.
Yea, you are going to need more than a connecting rod.
Remove the oil pan, then see which rod is loose on the crankshaft. Remove the rod cap and inspect the crankshaft. You will likely find it is damaged and needs machined or replaced.

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you can pull the rod down far enough to fiddle around to get the clip out, but you can't slide the pin out-ain't enough room for it to slide far enough. Yes L2350. I tried.

gotta pull the head.

if it's knocking, I'm guessing there's more wrong than just a rod. Prepare yourself to pull the engine off of the tractor so you can get the crankshaft out, since it's likely trashed as well.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just asking. You can’t pull the piston down enough to remove wrist pin ?
There is a small obstruction called a crankshaft that will be in the way.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
There are no shortcuts when it comes to repairing an engine block. You either do it correctly the first time, or you will be doing it over again much sooner than you had expected. I have known people who would pull the pistons and put new rings on them hone the cylinder walls and put standard bearings on the connecting rods and mains. They called it an engine rebuild, but it would start to come apart in just a few thousand miles of driving. Within 10,000 miles it was burning oil worse than before they did their "rebuild".
I realize you vowed to never buy tractors from Jax' paint-um and sell-um used tractors after you found out about his meat rind trick but must you reveal all his ways of pawning worthless tractors off on unsuspecting buyers.🤫

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You have to remove the wrist pin from the piston in order to remove the rod.
How are you going to do that with the piston in the cylinder?
But he asked if it can be done “without removing the engine”…not without removing the piston.

If you can get the oil pan off and the head off, it seems like you should be able to get the piston and rod out without removing the engine…

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
But he asked if it can be done “without removing the engine”…not without removing the piston.

If you can get the oil pan off and the head off, it seems like you should be able to get the piston and rod out without removing the engine…
In order to remove the rod and piston you would have to remove the crank, it's kind of in the way.
Well on a Kubota you have to remove the engine to be able to remove the crank, because the crank must come out the back of the engine.
And with the engine installed there is this pesky thing like a clutch housing and transmission in the way.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I realize you vowed to never buy tractors from Jax' paint-um and sell-um used tractors after you found out about his meat rind trick but must you reveal all his ways of pawning worthless tractors off on unsuspecting buyers.🤫
I have heard of a lot of ways that cars were "doctored" for sale by unscrupulous used car dealers, however, I have never heard of a meat rind trick. Sounds interesting, can you elaborate on the procedure, how it is done, and what it hides from the unsuspecting prospective customer?
So, which one of the following 2 replies offend you?

Last edited:

Shadetree605

Equipment
kubota b2100
May 1, 2022
north little rock, ar
In order to remove the rod and piston you would have to remove the crank, it's kind of in the way.
Well on a Kubota you have to remove the engine to be able to remove the crank, because the crank must come out the back of the engine.
And with the engine installed there is this pesky thing like a clutch housing and transmission in the way.
yeah...had a convo with a guy that works on diesels, i was asking him how hard would it be to change out a piston, rod ?, just like you are saying here, head has to come off, drop oil pan, then bring the piston, rod out the top, least this is what he said anyway. i '' hope '' ? to be doing this very soon on a kubota, will know more as time goes on. never worked on a diesel engine ?, atv engines, jetski's, small engines, chain saws..these all i know very well, but diesels ?, yeah..whole new world to me..lol.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks, that makes sense! I didn’t realize the connecting rods were one piece. Probably makes sense if you pay attention to the pictures. I believe there is one picture of a connecting right above and I’m going back to look now. But regardless, I see the light now! (Ithink)

Except… thinking about it…Now I’m wondering, if connecting rods are one piece, how would you get them on the crankshaft?

Since I’m never going to rebuild an engine, I guess I’ll just go back to doing my something outside! 🙂

edit: I guess the pictures I’m remembering are in the thread about the block with a hole in it…

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I apologize for not going back to my room and closing the door… But…this is a picture from that other thread. Apparently connecting rods are two piece like I had imagined, as they are on a typical gasoline engine.

IMG_1895.jpeg

So if anyone can explain to me why, if it’s possible to remove the oil pan and the head while the engines in place, why it would not be possible to remove the connecting rod/piston, it would help me sleep better during the afternoon nap that I never take…🙂

I’m absolutely missing the point why the engine would have to be pulled out to remove a connecting rod/piston (the original question), IF the oil pan could be removed and the head could be removed while the engine is in place.

If anyone can explain exactly what I missing I’d appreciate it.

edit: 😂😂😂 You guys have proven again that you’re a lot smarter than I am! Or at least you read better and pay attention to the details! After reading the original question, probably 10 times I see that the OP wants to pull the piston connecting rod out the bottom of the engine. I would’ve never thought to ask that on my own in a million years…

Last edited:

Priley

Equipment
L2350
Jun 1, 2024
Baytown Texas
It looks like we are reading his question differently. To me, he is asking if the rod can be replaced from the bottom of the engine, just by removing the pan.
C
first of all I’ve had this tractor for 9 yrs. Second, I don’t want to sell it, I want to fix it. Third, I would have went to fb if I wanted to read smartass comments. Thought Orange talks would be better. Guess I was wrong !

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
C

first of all I’ve had this tractor for 9 yrs. Second, I don’t want to sell it, I want to fix it. Third, I would have went to fb if I wanted to read smartass comments. Thought Orange talks would be better. Guess I was wrong !
I think your missing the fact that none of these comments were directed to you.

You got straight answers as to why you can't pull the rod out the bottom.
I don't see any posts poking fun at you or bashing you.
Did I miss something?