Piranha Bar use in rocky soil

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I know that many people on this forum have reviewed the piranha bar and all of the reviews I read were positive. What I have not seen when researching the piranha bar was any reviews that dealt with how it performed in very rocky soil. I was reluctant to purchase it without first knowing if it would work for me.

Well, I finally did decide to purchase it and I have been using it for this past week or so digging up rocks on my property. I have to say that I am amazed on how well the piranha bar did the job. I have dug up many rocks bigger than a man's head and some that were twice that size. The piranha bar made my little BX1860 into a rock digging beast.

I was concerned that all the rocks that I have dug up so far may damage the piranha bar but that really is not a concern any longer. I cannot find any evidence of the teeth being dulled or the bar bending or anything else wrong with it for that matter.

I had the piranha bar attached to the bucket when moving a lot of top soil from a 22 yard pile that I had delivered. I found that I could load a little more dirt into the bucket because of the piranha bar extending out farther than the bucket edge. However, I found that I had to take the piranha bar off the bucket to smooth out the dirt in the area I put the top soil. I think that the only reason I had to do this is because I was putting a very thin layer of top soil over some growing grass to build up the top soil without killing the grass underneath. I have no doubt that if I was back dragging my bucket to smooth out a thicker layer of top soil that I would not have had to remove the piranha bar to accomplish that task.

I have to say that this is one of the best purchases that I have made. I also want to say something about the personnel at BXPanded. I called them before I made the decision to buy and I talked with the propritor and asked him if he could give me any information about how the bar would perform in my soil type. He told me honestly that he could not predict how it would perform for me but he do go on to explain how the bar performed for others that had my same concerns.

I ended up buying the piranha bar during that phone conversation because I sensed his honesty and candor about his product. He also told me that he has another version of the bar that has the teeth spaced all the same distance across if I was interested in that kind. He said the standard bar has a space at either end to accommodate the BXPanded pallet forks. If he had not taken the time to give me the information that I needed to make the purchase decision, he would not have gained a customer that day. There are too many people out there just trying to sell their product without taking the time to fully answer a potential customer's questions/concerns. BXPanded treated me fairly and answered all of my questions honestly and as best they could without trying to sell me something that I did not need or would not to the tasks I needed to do. I am a BXPanded fan because of that and the fact that they have a great product. I want everyone to know that they treated me well and I suspect that they do the same for everyone.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have dug some rocks and roots and stumps and whatever else......

Here is the part that really needs to be addressed, the original bucket lip is only about a 1/4" thick and that is just the cutting edge. A dull edge at that.

THE PTB is a full 1/2" thick piece of toothed steel, not sure what the hardness scale is, but it is one tough sumbeach - it has beveled teeth that can dig and cut, unless one is moving gravel and topsoil - the PTB should be standard equipment!

Mine never comes off...........I cover it with aNOTHER piece of 1/2" steel to scrape snow and ice!:D:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Do you have a photo and/or description of how you've configured this?
here ya go - I took a piece of 3/8" plate steel, welded 4 grade 5 bolts heads to the plate in strategic places;):) and then used another 3/8" plate for the "washers".......loosen the four nuts, slide on, tighten, scrape snow and ice.....loosen the four nuts and off it comes. I ground the top edge with a slight chamfer to help bite into the ice. It has worked well in the last couple of snows.
Sometimes I will stand the bucket edge up and drag, it would be hell on the factory bucket edge - this way I have a sacrificial edge without hurting the factory or PTB.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
here ya go - I took a piece of 3/8" plate steel, welded 4 grade 5 bolts heads to the plate in strategic places;):) and then used another 3/8" plate for the "washers".......loosen the four nuts, slide on, tighten, scrape snow and ice.....loosen the four nuts and off it comes.
Thanks for the photos! I like it, especially since this is a fabrication I can do myself.