Pats easy change and a need for pto extension?

la724

Equipment
l3540 tractor, la724 FEL, brush hog, box blade, 2 thumb grapples
May 26, 2015
Punta Gorda florida
I have the pats quick change hitch, and do like them, but on my finish mower I had to buy a new shaft because it was too short. I borrowed a flail mower and wound up messing the driveshaft plastic cover up because I extended it too far. With the mower down there is good overlap of the covers and shaft but when I raise the 3 point up it goes to the end of the plastic, which waffled the plastic. Has anyone had this issue and used a pto shaft extension? I really don't like the idea of it, putting the joint further out and loading the bearing. Thoughts?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have the pats quick change hitch, and do like them, but on my finish mower I had to buy a new shaft because it was too short. I borrowed a flail mower and wound up messing the driveshaft plastic cover up because I extended it too far. With the mower down there is good overlap of the covers and shaft but when I raise the 3 point up it goes to the end of the plastic, which waffled the plastic. Has anyone had this issue and used a pto shaft extension? I really don't like the idea of it, putting the joint further out and loading the bearing. Thoughts?
If you are going to continue using the quick hitch, you will need to replace your PTO shafts with longer ones, not borrow or lone equipment as you have made your setup unique.
I have replaced PTO output shafts that have been broken off and housings that have been wallowed out from a bearing failure using PTO shaft extensions.
Personally, I have no use whatsoever for those quick hitches, but they have sure been good to me.

Dwellonroof

Equipment
L3400dt
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
Sometime you can still use the existing one if it was not cut down to far, it's only about 2" more distance.

la724

Equipment
May 26, 2015
Punta Gorda florida
If you are going to continue using the quick hitch, you will need to replace your PTO shafts with longer ones, not borrow or lone equipment as you have made your setup unique.
I have replaced PTO output shafts that have been broken off and housings that have been wallowed out from a bearing failure using PTO shaft extensions.
Personally, I have no use whatsoever for those quick hitches, but they have sure been good to me.
Thanks For the advice, I figured they were no good (pto extension). As far as the quick hitch I change implements often and do like the pats. I can take them off for when the shaft isn't long enough.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I am finding that my Kubota (without quick hitch) needs shafts about 3 inches longer than the other two tractors needed. This is annoying, more so since I just got a new shaft for my snowblower, which is now too short. I'm running an extension for this season, but will need to come up with a plan for my old implements. I think it's just the snowblower and mower that are driven by the PTO, and I haven't hitched up the mower yet to check it out.

Something I should have thought to investigate before buying the tractor. "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from"

la724

Equipment
May 26, 2015
Punta Gorda florida
Sometime you can still use the existing one if it was not cut down to far, it's only about 2" more distance.
The pats quick change add 4 inches I was wondering what the other ones like the land pride QH15 add to the distance. Is that where you got 2 inches from?

la724

Equipment
May 26, 2015
Punta Gorda florida
I am finding that my Kubota (without quick hitch) needs shafts about 3 inches longer than the other two tractors needed. This is annoying, more so since I just got a new shaft for my snowblower, which is now too short. I'm running an extension for this season, but will need to come up with a plan for my old implements. I think it's just the snowblower and mower that are driven by the PTO, and I haven't hitched up the mower yet to check it out.

Something I should have thought to investigate before buying the tractor. "The wonderful thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from"
Interesting, I didn't know that! may be why I have issues with the hitch. Thanks

Dwellonroof

Equipment
L3400dt
Feb 19, 2021
SW Ohio
The pats quick change add 4 inches I was wondering what the other ones like the land pride QH15 add to the distance. Is that where you got 2 inches from?
I stand corrected, I measured mine and it looks like 3- 11/16
I have Pat's but I purchased in 2013