Parts Sources - Engine overhaul L245DT/D1101

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folk -

I have a tired L245DT. The engine needs to be overhauled, at least the top end. The engine has good oil pressure so, hoping an in-frame and not messing with the crank mains will work. Parts prices and suppliers are all over the map! Can any of you recommend a piston/liner/overhaul kit from a particular supplier? I run into language like "semi finished cylinder linders" - and run like hell. I followed up with a query on one of those and the vendor said the liners would need some holes drilled in them. PASS! Anyway, the other question is on the cyl head. The old girl has never overheated, so am wondering if I should have my head rebuilt or get an exchange unit?

Any other cautions and caveats any of you with experience here might have would be most helpful. I am okay with most of the work - I've been to the rodeo, but am going to have a heavy equipment mech friend of mine replace the liners and oversee some of the finer points.

Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead
Lakeport CAlIF

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
I think you’re trying for the impossible. The liners aren’t drop in like heavy equipment or road diesels. Nearly all Kubota liners are “semi finished”, which requires pressing in, boring, then honing. This makes an ”in frame” nearly impossible to do if there is any out of spec cylinder wear. And, a ball hone is not the answer to make it look pretty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Kubota dealer should have most parts

Kumar Brothers may have heads