panicky truck owner, kerosene smell

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This afternoon I brought my 2003 Silverado diesel 4x4 truck back from the stealer where I had its 100,000 mile service done. Transmission fluid and filter, oil and filter, fuel filter, transfer case, front and rear differential service. That truck prior to this had never leaked a drop of anything in 12 years. A little while ago I walked into the garage and it smells like kerosene or something. Since it was pouring rain and I live on a mud road, looking at the garage floor or under the truck is not very helpful for the moment. Is it too soon to panic? :eek: that truck was intended to last me until I need a nursing home....

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Kerosene smell?
No fluid i can think of would smell like that. Except an engine degreaser i used a few times. That stuff had some stank. Perhaps something was used for clean up after service.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Too soon? Probably. Most likely the mechanic was sloppy changing the fuel filter, it's hard not to spill some amount. If it doesn't abate over the next few drives then I'd start looking for the source.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I guess if it dries up tomorrow, it will be incentive to clean the garage, after a winter of salt and mud it is pretty bad. And then put some paper down to see if something drips. It is a pretty strong smell, getting stronger. I thought I knew what diesel smelled like, but maybe mixed with something else I could be fooled. I have a new bottle of UDT out in the barn for the bota so I could open it to see what that smells like. Falls in the category of if it ain't broke don't fix it, except routine maintenance kinda needs to be done. Cost a small fortune too. :(

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Take it to the truck wash get it clean so you can see what your looking at, drive home..... wait mid Michigan, mud road, frost in ground there is no clean truck or clean garage this time of year. Maybe you are far enough south the frost is gone with today's rain, but I have another week or two of slop. I agree the dealer probably slopped something while draining or filling. I don't know GMC, but my F150 gas trucks have all had frame members located to catch the draining fluids.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sheepfarmer, why not get on the phone tomorrow with the dealer service dept. and let them know of this offensive smell. Let them tell you what it might be. Then you will also have a record of the problem directly after their service.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Diesel/kerosene/solvent are all in the same family and smell similar. Could have been a sloppy filter change or used solvent to clean up a gear oil mess.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
For sure I'll call the service dept tomorrow. Tney have a big facility, well ventilated well lit, but I don't know how well they train and treat their techs. The place I used to go lost their dealership and never had parts in stock so I switched. The techs looked really young, but then everyone does these days. I hope it is sloppy spills and not sloppy cross threaded something. I drive to the Detroit wilderness, 3 hrs round trip once a week so hate to be stranded.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
If they replaced fuel filter check it. If its dumping fuel, call dealer. Likely they will tow it and fix the issue. If they dont-find another dealer.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Fords got me a couple times with my power stroke at work. Nicked an o'ring when installing the canister filter under the hood :rolleyes: if the smell only lasts a bit, then it's probably a sloppy tech. If it lasts the whole ride home, then there's probably a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
So far looking promising that the tech just spilled something all over the frame rail. This morning I could see where something had dried on the mud leaving rivulets down the frame rail on the passenger side, close to right under a new filter canister that I think is the fuel filter. Just got home after driving on several errands and the last was to run it through the car wash, so it is slightly less muddy, and hopefully the "underbody blast" will remove any lingering smell. The service guy said to bring it back tomorrow if I could still smell it. Poor Betsy I hate to drive her when the roads are so salty, but needed the 4wd this winter. All those underneath parts are getting rusty. Thanks guys, keep fingers crossed.