Pallet Fork Grapple

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
So I've read in numerous places that pallet forks and grapples are often ranked as the top attachments that you can get for your tractor. I definitely have a need for a grapple as I have some land that I want to clear. I can also see the use of the pallet forks, especially for unloading new attachments and relocating them on the property. I saw that some companies make a a grapple attachment for pallet forks and was wondering about folks experiences with these. I like the idea of it taking up less space and costing roughly ~$1000 less than purchasing each separately. However, is the sacrifice of not having the bottom grapple portion worth it?

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
It will depend on what you are needing to do? If you are just needing to move brush/logs, then the fork tines should work. If you are needing to dig into the brush and get roots and debris, then the bottom grapple is a big deal.

My use, I utilize the bottom root rake grapple section a lot. So a combo grapple/forks wouldn't meet my needs.

Resized_20191227_121534.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
It will depend on what you are needing to do? If you are just needing to move brush/logs, then the fork tines should work. If you are needing to dig into the brush and get roots and debris, then the bottom grapple is a big deal.

My use, I utilize the bottom root rake grapple section a lot. So a combo grapple/forks wouldn't meet my needs.
I guess my next question is does an LX2610 have enough power and mass to utilize the bottom grapple in that manner?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
So I've read in numerous places that pallet forks and grapples are often ranked as the top attachments you can get for your tractor. I definitely have a need for a grapple as I have some land that I want to clear. I can also see the use of the pallet forks especially for unloading new attachments and relocating them on the property. I saw that some companies make a a grapple attachment for pallet forks and was wondering about folks experience with these. I like the idea of it taking up less space and costing roughly ~$1000 less than purchasing each separately. However, is the sacrifice of not having the bottom grapple portion worth it?
MagicMan posted about a thumb for his forks here:

Might do what you want.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
I guess my next question is does an LX2610 have enough power and mass to utilize the bottom grapple in that manner?
small brush, yes bottom bar limits depth of tooth bite.
20170819_154250.jpg

bigger brush
20170826_131854.jpg

anything bigger, chainsaw and grapple

Reactions: 1 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Thank you i7win7. My main concern is for anything ~5 feet or less. Anything else I would cut down with the chainsaw.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thank you i7win7. My main concern is for anything ~5 feet or less. Anything else I would cut down with the chainsaw.
I'm assuming you mean 5 feet in height. The issue will depend on what you are trying to dig out and your soil conditions.

Resized_20191231_132648.jpeg

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I'm assuming you mean 5 feet in height. The issue will depend on what you are trying to dig out and your soil conditions.
Yes 5 feet in height. It is mostly weeds, brush and small saplings that I'm concerned about. Anything larger I will cut with a chainsaw and then grind with a stump grinder. Soil is a combination of clay and shale which I know is less than ideal.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’d buy a separate full grapple rather than use the forks, you will find the grapple so much easier to operate and be efficient. I just purchased a smaller 60” wide grapple at MTL attachments for under $1,000 delivered for my L3901, they have many models at this price point and cheaper. In my opinion smaller tractors are limited in their groundwork capability with a grapple and FEL. Sure you can do just about anything with enough time and effort. A grapple is a great tool for ripping out bushes and smaller trees . A tree puller is very useful but again smaller tractor loaders have limits.

Don’t buy too large or heavy of a grapple, there are nice light weight grapples from Everything Attachments but they are at a higher price point. For your LX I would suggest keeping the grapple under 500lbs and no wider than 55 or 60 inches.

Once you have a grapple you will wonder how you survived without one and you will find so many uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I have a single arm grapple on my forks.
for picking up logs I added a 3rd fork tine. It’s spaced slightly off center so I can still pick up pallets with either 2. Helps to keep logs from falling in between the tines as I’m grabbing from a pile. It will move brush ok, likely not as slick as a dedicated grapple like others have. This one will come off with a couple bolts and a bit of grunting if you have something tall to pick up, as the arm does not raise straight vertical.

Attachments

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have no experience with a pallet grapple. But, I would think what Thunder Chicken says would be a good assessment. A tool made specifically for a job will always be superior, but that doesn't mean you can't get by with something else.

I wold not substitute my grapple for what I do. I also think you are underestimating what your tractor can do. I have cautiously refrained from pushing my tractor, but the more I use it, the more capable I find it. The last time I used my grapple, I pushed two trees over. I found if you can push it over, you can get it out of the ground....at least with those two. You might have to work it back and forth to get it up though. In the future, if I can push it over with my grapple and it is an actual tree and not shallow brush like privet, I will then cut it about 3 or 4 feet from the ground, remove that and then push it side to side and pop it out with the grapple if I can.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Thanks everyone for your comments. You have convinced me that a light weight dedicated grapple is the best choice for what I plan on using it for.

Last edited:

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I have a single arm grapple on my forks.
for picking up logs I added a 3rd fork tine. It’s spaced slightly off center so I can still pick up pallets with either 2. Helps to keep logs from falling in between the tines as I’m grabbing from a pile. It will move brush ok, likely not as slick as a dedicated grapple like others have. This one will come off with a couple bolts and a bit of grunting if you have something tall to pick up, as the arm does not raise straight vertical.
Hi @Thunder chicken is that home-built or from a vendor?

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Thanks everyone for your comments. You have convinced me that a light weight dedicated grapple is the best choice for what I plan on using it for.
Smart choice, I think.

Not only that, but forks are pretty cheap comparatively speaking, so they are easily had in the future. (y)

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Just to follow up on this, I ended up going with a EA Wicked 55 grapple. Haven't got to the land clearing yet, but it proved useful on multiple occasions for cleanup after storms.

20230420_170547.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users