P229e Error Code

jbryant

Equipment
M6-101
Jan 25, 2019
Beaver
My dad has a pretty new Kubota M6-101 tractor, with only about 450 hours on the meter.

Early this week, while feeding his animals, he noticed oil coming out of the side of the engine, and noticed that the dipstick was gone! He was able to find the dipstick, and verified that very little oil was lost.

The next day, he got a message on the dash about a problem with DPF fluid. The fluid wasn't low. He called the dealer, and they came and got the tractor. They replaced a filter or valve on top of the engine, and said it had frozen up and caused the oil blow-by. They brought it back the next day.

Now, he's getting a P229E error code on the tractor. On an internet search, it appears to have something to do with an exhaust sensor? The dealers say they don't know what the code means, and can't reach Kubota to get an answer.

Anyone have any idea on this code?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
In the L code list the closest one I could find was P2293..and it is a pressure limiter abnormality in the high pressure common rail system....

Have others but bloody computer won't open files. Sorry :(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know if this is your issue or not, but if it blew oil into the DPF then it has to be replaced, the dealer should know this as it contaminates it and will not work properly.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
P229e code would be an issue with the nox sensor. I’m not sure where you live but if the exhaust fluid is frozen or a issue in the def system can cause your issue. I don’t know if Kubota uses a def heater like the automotive world does (I imagine they do but not sure). Sounds like you may need a better dealer to look at it. Could be a def system issue,nox sensor issue, or just a software programming issue (would think a dealer would have access to bulletins to rule that out though).

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
If my dealer did not know what this code means, I wouldn't have too much confidence with them. :eek:

Hopefully the attachment will help.

I'd let the dealer repair (maybe different one :D) as it should be covered under the emissions warranty.

Good luck and let us know how it is resolved.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbryant

Equipment
M6-101
Jan 25, 2019
Beaver
Thanks for the input, and the error code information. I found that generic error code P229E was a NOx sensor, and we thought perhaps that was the issue on his tractor as well.

To follow up - it took a couple of weeks to get a firm answer from the dealer as to the issue. Both dad and I *knew* the dealer should be able to find the answer - but they kept saying they couldn't.
Now they're saying that there is an exhaust 'heater' of some sort that should have been installed on the tractor for 'cold weather' operation. The heater is meant to 'dry out' some exhaust filter. But on this tractor, that heater was never installed.The end result is that moisture build up in the filter 'froze' the filter, somehow creating backpressure sufficient to push the dipstick out. This also caused the P229E sensor issue.

The dealer has replaced the filter and is installing the heater, so hopefully this will resolve both the 'oil pressure' and NOx indicator.

If anything, maybe this information will help someone else coming to search the forum.

thanks again

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the input, and the error code information. I found that generic error code P229E was a NOx sensor, and we thought perhaps that was the issue on his tractor as well.

To follow up - it took a couple of weeks to get a firm answer from the dealer as to the issue. Both dad and I *knew* the dealer should be able to find the answer - but they kept saying they couldn't.
Now they're saying that there is an exhaust 'heater' of some sort that should have been installed on the tractor for 'cold weather' operation. The heater is meant to 'dry out' some exhaust filter. But on this tractor, that heater was never installed.The end result is that moisture build up in the filter 'froze' the filter, somehow creating backpressure sufficient to push the dipstick out. This also caused the P229E sensor issue.

The dealer has replaced the filter and is installing the heater, so hopefully this will resolve both the 'oil pressure' and NOx indicator.

If anything, maybe this information will help someone else coming to search the forum.

thanks again
It's the crankcase recirculation filter, Yes they are known to get moisture in them and then freeze and brake or just cause it to build up too much crankcase pressure and blow oil out the dipstick or blow a seal. ;)