Overrunning clutch for short shaft PTO

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I need an overrunning clutch for my 1977, B7100. It has the short PTO shaft. I think it is about 1.5-2" long (if memory serves me correct), with the groove being in about a half an inch. There is not hole , just a groove. The local Fleet Farm carries these, but they appear to be for a longer PTO shaft. I am assuming there are a couple different variations for the PTO shafts.

Anyone else in my position that can recommend what they purchased for an overrunning clutch for the shorter PTO shaft? I will be needing this for a brush mower, once I purchase one. I assume it makes more sense to install the overrunning clutch at the tractor PTO, vs. somewhere else?

Thanks!

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Maybe they all didn't have it but my 1980 B7100 had an ORC internal to the shaft, you could hear it when rotating the shaft by hand. Ran a 3 point finish mower & a brush hog no problem getting shoved around - clutch in tractor stops.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need to add an overrunning clutch, it's built into the B7100.

To prove this:
With the tractor not running, engage the PTO, grab the output shaft and turn it both ways one way it will not turn, and the other it will turn and you'll hear a clunk, that's the one way clutch slipping.

Attachments

Last edited:

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
I hope all appreciate the knowledge here. I know I do. I have forgotten so much, it's nice to look at OTT for advice.

Thanks' all
jay

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have one of my B7100's that does not have an overrunning clutch built into the pto. I would have to check the serial number to be sure but if I remember correctly it is a 1977 or 1978. My other 2 had the overrunning clutch built in. The tractor without the overrunning clutch also has the short pto like you refer to. I bought my external overrunning clutch from Hoye Tractor (the yanmar dealer).

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I checked my PTO last night, trying to rotate it by hand. It does not ratchet in one direction. I can't turn it either way when engaged. I just want to make sure I purchase the correct ORC for it, as it appears there are several different styles available.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I always wondered if I would have trouble with the short pto stub sticking out of the tractor. Being shorter than others it obviously does not give as much support as the standard length ones. I used that tractor as my principal mowing tractor for a few years without any trouble running the rear finish mower through the external over running clutch. Nothing special about the design of the over running clutch I bought. I had read that the one Hoye sold was a quality one so that is what I purchased. I can take a picture of it if you want. For the past 4 or 5 years I keep my backhoe on that tractor with a hydraulic pump mounted to the pto. That does not require the over running clutch. I use another B7100 with a internal over running clutch for mowing. This year it will be my B2410 that takes over the mowing.

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I can take a picture of it if you want.
That would be great, or if there are any markings on it to help identify what the ORC is. I will most likely have to order one. I just don't want to purchase the wrong one online and have to return it.

JosephGozo

Equipment
Kubota B7001 + an ever growing list of attachments (restored / homemade) :(
Nov 25, 2014
Malta
Hello.
I would like to unearth this thread again to ask if i can buy a second hand slip clutch off another Bseries tractor like the B7100 and install it in a B7001?

Or it is easier to buy an external slip clutch to attach it to the PTO shaft ? (mine is the short version) but it would require me to shorten all PTO shafts i have for my implements.

Kind Regards.
Joseph (Malta)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello.
I would like to unearth this thread again to ask if i can buy a second hand slip clutch off another Bseries tractor like the B7100 and install it in a B7001?

Or it is easier to buy an external slip clutch to attach it to the PTO shaft ? (mine is the short version) but it would require me to shorten all PTO shafts i have for my implements.

Kind Regards.
Joseph (Malta)
None of the b7100's have a slip clutch, but some do have a overrunning clutch / one way clutch, there is a big difference in the two.
A slip clutch is a clutch pack, that will slip under too heavy of a load.
A overrunning / one way clutch allows the PTO shaft to free spin in one direction and connect in the other.

Adding one to another model Internally is going to be raather difficult is not imposible.
Stick with adding an over running or slip clutch on the outside.