out on a limb no more

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
the back of my property slopes steeply, so the back of my roof is probably 40 above gound. I have had this nagging branch that sweeps down on my roof, especially when raining. The offending branch is probably 50 ft. high, or higher than I want to climb with a chainsaw.

I found this rope chain saw from Green Mountain at Home Depot. You basically throw a rope over the limb that has a chainsaw chin in the middle, then you pull back and forth on the two rope ends until the limb is cut.

The first challenge was getting the rope over the limb. After about 30 attempts throw the weight bag that comes with the product over the limb, I broke out the cross bow and rigged it with high test cord. First shot put it over the bow. From there I teased the business line over it and I was in business.

Now don't get me wrong. This was not an effortless endeavor. I must have pulled back and forth on that rope for an hour, racing an incoming storm. But finally it fell. (don't stand under your work-I wished somebody would have told me this yesterday) LOL Working that rope was about as much fun as manual fence posting digging. I'm pretty sore this morning.

But I did not have to pay for tree service and I didn't send my butt up a 50 ft. tree!

Muscle pains subside a lot quicker than bones mend.

PXL_20210722_204935931.MP.jpg
PXL_20210722_204935931.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Nice! And, you got some good exercise. 😁

I have a forked dead oak limb over my service line to my house about 40 feet up. It is not huge, but big enough. It may or may not cause a problem depending on how it breaks. It is pointed up at a 45 degree angle. I have climbing gear, but dang I don't want to climb it.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
the back of my property slopes steeply, so the back of my roof is probably 40 above gound. I have had this nagging branch that sweeps down on my roof, especially when raining. The offending branch is probably 50 ft. high, or higher than I want to climb with a chainsaw.

I found this rope chain saw from Green Mountain at Home Depot. You basically throw a rope over the limb that has a chainsaw chin in the middle, then you pull back and forth on the two rope ends until the limb is cut.

The first challenge was getting the rope over the limb. After about 30 attempts throw the weight bag that comes with the product over the limb, I broke out the cross bow and rigged it with high test cord. First shot put it over the bow. From there I teased the business line over it and I was in business.

Now don't get me wrong. This was not an effortless endeavor. I must have pulled back and forth on that rope for an hour, racing an incoming storm. But finally it fell. (don't stand under your work-I wished somebody would have told me this yesterday) LOL Working that rope was about as much fun as manual fence posting digging. I'm pretty sore this morning.

But I did not have to pay for tree service and I didn't send my butt up a 50 ft. tree!

Muscle pains subside a lot quicker than bones mend.
Can you please post a photo or link to the saw you used? (I looked on homedepot but didn't see it...maybe I am using the wrong search parameters)

Reason I ask, is, I bought a cheap $10 or $15 rope saw from Canadian Tire <<there's a hint I am not in the USA) and it took me forever to get it up over a certain limb and about the 2nd time I pulled on it, the dang thing broke in half, UGH

Good on you though !

Springer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680 LA344S EA 55" Grapple, Stump Bucket 48 Box grader, Disc Harrow
Jul 21, 2021
Tiger, GA
Rope Chain Saw at Home Depot

To be honest, a trait I rarely have, this is not that rugged of a product. I am thinking of making my own since I several old chains in my juke box. For for under $50, it got the job done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What keeps the saw teeth right side down?

With my luck the cutting teeth would face up and it would take forever to make the cut...

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I saw on a youtube video there is a rectangular, black, chunk of what I can only presume is metal, that sorta is attached to one side of the chain and it hangs down slightly. This apparently "rights" the chain in the proper orientation most of the time so the bidirectional teeth are cutting against the tree limb and not looking up at the sky.

This is all supposition on my part, as I have never seen one in person.

The OP (and others) will likely explain it way better than I ever could.

I don't see them at homedepot in Canada (sigh). Disappointed, but not at all surprised.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Looks like a two(2) man operation to me and then some cold beer;)🍺

Look again at the Home Depot photos and you will see young ladies that know the ropes. Keep the beer and send me that kind of help! I have one of those saws and it works reasonably well if I ever get the thing over the limb, that bow idea is worth a try.

Reactions: 1 user