Ordered this today.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
WC68 6″ PTO Wood Chipper, Wood Chipper | Woodland Mills USA

Did my homework, and studied hard. The WoodMaxx WM-8H has a much heavier flywheel (200 lbs) which turns more than twice the speed of the direct drive models (120 lb), but sports only two knives. A few more strikes per second, but enough to warrant another $100? That's also going to cause some extra heating of the knife edges, especially after they get a little use/wear. It also needs slightly more horsepower because of the step-up in speed. Next drawback for me was the FIVE drive belts . That's a lot of normal wear items, and I can't imagine those belts being cheap to replace.

Their equivalent to the WC-68, the TM-86H, has a direct drive hydraulic pump, but I'm not so sure that's a great idea either because of all the strange and wonderful forces associated with impact loading. I think I like the belt isolation for the pump. The pump really shouldn't have too much load on it, so a belt should last a long time. It's about $50 cheaper, but they also have a much longer lead time. The WC-68 is in stock at Woodland Mills. WoodMaxx pretty much told me on the phone that their production is halted for another 3 weeks, and then there may be some delay while they catch up on orders. That was probably the deciding factor. I want to get started on some of the brush destruction before it gets too stinkin' hot.

I nearly added the trailer hitch to it, but figured I can make a trip back for the trailer or just pull it with the Husqvarna lawn tractor. I'll need to build a back-stop for the trailer so I don't bury my Husqvarna in chips.

As soon as I have to flip the knives the first time, I'll order a replacement set. While I'm wearing out the other edge of the originals, I'll find a local machine shop to make me some duplicates of the replacement knives. Next flip, I'll put a new set in, and send the originals for sharpening, probably to the same local machine shop. Anyone got a clue how many times the knives can be sharpened? I'm guessing that answer will be somewhere in the instruction book.

Gonna have to go get a bucket of hydraulic oil to fill it now. I'm thinking ISO-46 down here in the sunny southern summers. Better start shopping for that now.

Next up, a stump bucket. Gotta love a woman that tells ya to go get tractor stuff for an anniversary present. She gets camera gadgets, I get tractor stuff.

The original plan was a BH77, but the delays on subframes gave me enough time to talk myself outta that. My use would be limited and I don't want an expensive piece of equipment to become a shed ornament.

Must get storage space SOON.

Reactions: 3 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Nice. Get some video of it running if you can. I bought their stump grinder and the chipper looks nice. The only chipper I have tried on my B2650 was a 6" from baseco and the tractor would not spin it up without stalling.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Congratulations. Hope you like and enjoy it as much as I’ve enjoyed mine.

Tried loading the whole manual but apparently 14.5MB was too large so these screenshots were the closest I could get. May give you some info you requested on sharpening and also info on setting bed gap. I didn’t have to adjust anything on mine when I got it. Bed gap would need to be checked after sharpening.

A27750DE-AA39-44BF-9011-9B9121BAE0F2.jpeg
1C2896A6-6D06-4BF4-994A-88065D36D398.jpeg
800642B7-E194-4ECA-B7D8-995EE77C2AB4.jpeg
20B58092-ED20-4676-B747-F4B65216DFFB.jpeg
191D92FD-CB22-455A-87C0-2E70706AF3D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I believe Woodland Mills stuff is made in China, but it’s designed in Canada.
I have the next size up, WC-88. It’s been a great well built piece so far.
No different for WoodMaxx TM-86H, other than it's outsourced from Buffalo, NY. It's VERY similar to the WC-68. Both are down-feed single spool infeeds. WoodMaxx doesn't say where their knives come from, but their site does say that USA Knives are an option on the TM-86H. Ummm, if I gotta pay more for US made knives, I see a problem with the pricing pretty quick. Not to mention, like I said, Woodland Mills said they had WC-68's in stock. WoodMaxx told me they weren't restarting production for 3 weeks, but I was welcome to get in line by registering on the web page. Then it might be another 3-6 weeks before I could get an order in their backlog. I also eyeballed their WM-8H model. Horizontal infeed, dual rollers. Belt drive and only 2 knives made me shy away, though. Faster speed and heavier flywheel might not always be better. If it had 4 knives, I might have bought it. Might take a little more tractor to spin it up, though.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Congratulations. Hope you like and enjoy it as much as I’ve enjoyed mine.

Tried loading the whole manual but apparently 14.5MB was too large so these screenshots were the closest I could get. May give you some info you requested on sharpening and also info on setting bed gap. I didn’t have to adjust anything on mine when I got it. Bed gap would need to be checked after sharpening.
Downloaded the manual already. Order confirmed. Just gotta wait now.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Congrats! Good luck with it! I just emailed them a couple of days ago about the same chipper. I could really use a lifting hook to move it when delivered - I know they provide liftgate delivery, that doesn't work for me.
I will probably pull the trigger in a couple of days. I was deciding between the WoodMaxx unit and the clamshell design was the deciding factor.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Congrats! Good luck with it! I just emailed them a couple of days ago about the same chipper. I could really use a lifting hook to move it when delivered - I know they provide liftgate delivery, that doesn't work for me.
I will probably pull the trigger in a couple of days. I was deciding between the WoodMaxx unit and the clamshell design was the deciding factor.
The chipper comes in a big box. It’s bolted to a steel pallet that’s got an angle iron frame box around it. Watch their U tube videos if you haven’t already :). It only takes an hour or 2 to get it ready to hook up to the 3pt to move, no special tools so in theory you could do it on the side of a not too busy road where the lift gate drops it :)

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
My chipper came in a steel create as well. It made a nice chip catcher. Here is a link to a video.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Yes, thanks, I did see that video. I was trying to avoid doing it on the street. Found a better solution :)
The I called a branch manager of the company I work for. I'm going to have it shipped to his branch. They will deliver it to me in either a 24' box or pickup - both have lift gates.
The reality is I don't see me out in the cold for the next 3-4 weeks cutting down or 'tooth baring' small trees to chip and the stuff on the ground is, well, frozen to the ground right now.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
As soon as I have to flip the knives the first time, I'll order a replacement set. While I'm wearing out the other edge of the originals, I'll find a local machine shop to make me some duplicates of the replacement knives.
When reading this my first thought was "Good luck getting a local machine shop to make knives at a competitive price!"

Really, I can't imagine a local shop could provide replacements at a similar or cheaper price than a source that probably makes hundreds of the item after setting up the manufacturing process.

BUT...I have been wrong before... ;)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
When reading this my first thought was "Good luck getting a local machine shop to make knives at a competitive price!"

Really, I can't imagine a local shop could provide replacements at a similar or cheaper price than a source that probably makes hundreds of the item after setting up the manufacturing process.

BUT...I have been wrong before... ;)
I've got some contacts in local shops that I've done business with for nearly 40 years. Sometimes, it ain't what ya know, it's WHO ya know.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My chipper came in a steel create as well. It made a nice chip catcher. Here is a link to a video.

You just gave me a good idea what to do with the crate. LOL. I already have a little 5 x 7 trailer that I threw together on a little boat trailer frame. I can frame the sides and fasten screen to it, and screen, and bingo, I've got a chip catcher with wheels. If I make it in panels, I can easily remove them for my other yard trailer escapades. I still have a smaller trailer as well (lawn tractor trailer) that might serve well. I can load up about what the lawn tractor will pull (22HP, actually) and take a break while someone empties the little trailer. Chippers have a tendency to wear ya out pretty quick.

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
got a video coming on adding some golf cart tires to my cart, welded a tow tab to the back of the chipper for the cart.

Attachments

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
got a video coming on adding some golf cart tires to my cart, welded a tow tab to the back of the chipper for the cart.
I have a little trailer VERY similar to that, but no green on it. :sneaky: The chassis is pretty much identical. The height of your cage is just about as high as I would want to load it, too. It sits so high with a narrow track, it's gonna want to be top heavy with green chips on it, and with a surplus of stump holes and sink-holes it'll be on it's side more than on it's wheels. The golf cart wheels should improve the track some, though. I'll have to see what I can find to fit on the axel, or do whatever it takes to put something wider on it for stability. A golf cart on my lot would be all but useless because of the stumps, or the holes left. Throw in the random football sized rock for good measure. You should see the pile of rocks we have just from picking up loose ones in the yard after rain. We had enough to build a 50' long water feature (by hand with pickaxe and shovel), with plenty left over. I'm diggin (excuse the pun) the box blade for scraping out the rocks. VERY handy for that. A fork might happen after I get more room to use it.

My little cart has a removable tailgate, and yours looks like it does too. Much handier than just a wheelbarrow bucket. I may totally enclose the cage and just blow the chips in, but leave myself a way to get the tail-gate off and see how that works. Hopefully they won't pack and get stuck. Or perhaps I make a swinging gate on the back so I can get a pitch fork in there. I'm thinking I'll keep the pallet intact as a storage place for the chipper until I can do better.

What did you do to attach the hardware cloth? I'd like to see some closer detail shots for ideas. I was considering trying to find some light gauge expanded sheet that I can tack weld to the angle frame. That would probably hold up better than the screen wire.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
According to Woodland Mills, the chipper should ship by next Friday. Better find some ISO-46 Hydraulic fluid, pronto, and get a stump bucket ordered too.