Opinions on a Fuel Station

rmasonjr

Mar 16, 2015
brookhaven, ms
I was given a 15 Gallon Fuel Station fuel tank. It's steel with a gasoline-style pump handle. It's gravity-fed with a shutoff valve underneath.

I currently use 2 5-gal gasoline containers that I usually fill every other month or so - mainly for lawnmowers, 4-wheelers, etc. This seems like it could save some trips to the gas station.

I am, however, a little concerned about mounting this. I dont want it on the inside of my barn at all - makes me too nervous. I would mount it outside, under a covered awning and maybe just load it in the truck for trips to the gas station.

Anyone use something like this? Pros/Cons?

Attachments

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I was given a 15 Gallon Fuel Station fuel tank. It's steel with a gasoline-style pump handle...
I currently use 2 5-gal gasoline containers that I usually fill every other month or so... a little concerned about mounting this... dont want it inside barn ... I would mount it outside, under a covered awning and maybe just load it in the truck for trips to the gas station.
Haven't yet, though I've given a lot of thought to it. The initial investment kept me from pulling the trigger before now, and since I've added diesel, more complicated.

I'm just north of Atlanta, lots of hills and trees but it does get awful hot. My thought was to build a concrete-block shed to keep the heat down, and be a fire-proof construction -- hopefully containing an explosion.

The idea of schlepping the tank to the gas station every couple of months sounds a lot more convenient. However, it's going to be about four times heavier than a full 5-gallon gas can! That's not something that I'm able to lift and carry. I wanted a larger tank, but if given a 15-gallon tank, I'd mount it in a permanent location and bring gas to it, prolly in a barrel with a hand pump since gasoline-grade electric pumps are so expensive. (Well, as are hand pumps, so I don't have one of those, either.)

Hope that helps.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't get it?
Your cars trucks and equipment have far more fuel that that in their tanks.

We always had 250 gal tank on the ranch full of gasoline and another 250 gal of diesel, never had a problem with those.

I think 15 gal of gasoline in a steel container would be pretty safe. ;)

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
I've had the same one for 3-years now,
PRO: It's great for the lawn morrows and 4-Wheeler's, its just plane handy! I drilled a small hole through the cap and put a brazing rod threw it with an old brass float from a gas tank (soldered) so it will float. when the tank was empty set the rod length and bent the top at 90 deg. Now with just a glance I know how much is in it.
Now at my convenience when i'm in town, I'll just pick up 1-2 cans of gas on dump in it.

CON: The hose run's slow, with the ground wire inside the hose, theirs not much of a stream, (slow/real slow) Also, the handle on mine is so cheap, if you don't watch how you pull-it, it will come loose.
(It's in a lean-to with a ground rod and ground wire attached)
All in all I like-it, and I've become kind of dependent on it.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
For diesel I use 1 of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200484467_200484467

I got it for $140 at an auction. For something this big you don't need a permit, but 55 and over you need a transport permit, I believe. It will also pump gas.

I've heard the same things about the "fuel stations" you mention. slow and trickly stream. Another thing to consider with gas is it ages badly, specially with this damn alcohol loaded fuel they have foisted on us. If you use enough gas, well then it's another story...:D

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5100, pto13000kw, Loader, Ripper,Plow,Disc,Mower,Forks,3pt spreader,Box Blade.
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
Filling the small stuff, it's great! beats trying to fill with a gas can. Just keep STA-BIL on hand, I will add a few oz threw the winter when topping off. It keep's me from having several cans of gas and diff sizes of cans to fill the small stuff. :pever try to fill a push morrow with a 5-gal can:D lol...........

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
If you mount it on the wall, how do you plan to re-fill it?

If you put it in your truck, how will you re-locate it when you fill it up? It'll weigh about 125 lbs! I can barely manage my full German Jerry cans -6 gallons at nearly 70lbs full.

Plus, once mounted, everything you fill would have to be within hose reach.

Auto gas has a terribly short life without stabilizers. With double dose Stabil, I get 9mos out of my auto gas reserve and then burn it in my truck. Never a problem.

Storing fuel in manageable containers is the easiest solution I have found. In winter, I augment my steel storage with racing fuel containers (stout plastic) that are very unlikely to ever leak. Through the summer months, I store only the steel Gerry cans which seal tightly. Everything gets double Stabil and I use Redline Fuel System cleaner once a year, usually after using up stored fuel.

If you have someone who can help you carry this storage can, then I might consider it. But, give the limitations of trying to haul it and lift it for storage, especially elevated, and given the slow fill rate, I think I'd sell it and buy more manageable containers.

By the way... with the potential for war in the "Middle Earth" this summer, you might want to swap out and refresh those supplies while you can. Stabil will enable you to store gasoline indefinitely by re-treatment. Having some extra on hand could be very nice. You never know...

Anyone interested in starting a "disaster prep" thread?

rmasonjr

Mar 16, 2015
brookhaven, ms
Great info, guys. Also, good point about the grounding rod. I suspect static electricity wouldnt be too good around this thing! I think I'll find a way to mount it and see how it works.

rmasonjr

Mar 16, 2015
brookhaven, ms
@Ray - after mounting, I would just fill it with the 5-gal containers. This would keep me from going to the gas station so often. I thought about taking it down, filling it up at the gas station, then putting it back up - I'd use the front-end loader for that - would be way too heavy to lift by myself :)

Orange Turbo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 2, 2015
Mo
@Ray - after mounting, I would just fill it with the 5-gal containers. This would keep me from going to the gas station so often. I thought about taking it down, filling it up at the gas station, then putting it back up - I'd use the front-end loader for that - would be way too heavy to lift by myself :)
Mines about chest high, if i fill it with a can that the spout is a problem, i just set the can on the rack of the 4-wheeler and stand on the running board, not hard at all, That's where its parked any way, Just plan out your location and you'll be glad you have another option for fuel storage.