Operating L47 on a slope

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
I have a little backhoe work to do around my pond which will involve backing down and operating on a slope.
Just wondering if anyone has an idea how steep is too steep. My biggest concern is starving the engine oil pump.
I don't think there would be an issue but I figure an ounce of prevention......

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I hate to operate my TLB on slopes it always feels like it going to end badly.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I’m with edritchey but if I have to I dig out a flat spot to set up on and re-slope when done. If you have to move around pond perimeter that won’t work very well. I’m probably off point as I’m more concerned with stability than oil. I lock in 4w, dig cutting edge of bucket into ground and “sweat” the whole time.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’m with edritchey but if I have to I dig out a flat spot to set up on and re-slope when done. If you have to move around pond perimeter that won’t work very well. I’m probably off point as I’m more concerned with stability than oil. I lock in 4w, dig cutting edge of bucket into ground and “sweat” the whole time.
As much as I love my 14' reach Kubota TLB, I would not use it for attempting to clean up the edge of an existing pond.
A (rental?) Mini-Ex is tailor made for that type work.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you are on two wheels the slope/weight is too much.

Heads up on soft/muddy ground close to the water and sliding into the pond. Keep you loads low and remember that speed isn't your friend!

One year I had my SCUT suddenly sink down into muck over the rear axels when operating near the pond edge. Ground just turned to soup under the wheels. Thankfully I had a bigger machine to tow it out from a distance.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have a little backhoe work to do around my pond which will involve backing down and operating on a slope.
Just wondering if anyone has an idea how steep is too steep. My biggest concern is starving the engine oil pump.
I don't think there would be an issue but I figure an ounce of prevention......
Are your tires loaded? If so that makes it even worse....

To me if you can use the outriggers to level the machine on the slope its fine. If you cannot, it is too steep.

Excavator with a blade or on a pad is much better.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
As much as I love my 14' reach Kubota TLB, I would not use it for attempting to clean up the edge of an existing pond.
A (rental?) Mini-Ex is tailor made for that type work.
A rental with full insurance is best.

When I rented a treaded trencher, I paid for the full insurance; it was about $15. The trencher costs more than $30K. Although I had no problems, it was great peace of mind when operating a new piece of equipment that was digging in the ground - where rocks of unknown sizes and who knows what else lurks.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A rental with full insurance is best.

When I rented a treaded trencher, I paid for the full insurance; it was about $15. The trencher costs more than $30K. Although I had no problems, it was great peace of mind when operating a new piece of equipment that was digging in the ground - where rocks of unknown sizes and who knows what else lurks.
Great advice!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Great advice!
If you are already thinking about oil starvation on the engine, you already should know that digging on that slope, will pull the tractor downward towards the water. GUARANTEED. (OK, almost guaranteed. If just muck and nothing else, maybe not)

Nothing more needs to be said really. Are you SURE you will even get the tractor back up that slope?

When pointing down, the backhoe and front bucket can aid getting out of a bad situation. Pointing up, more difficult I think...not impossible, but why risk it?

I am a fan of using my tractor backhoe for just about everything...but doubt I would use it in a situation you describe.

notforhire

Equipment
Kubota L47
Dec 5, 2019
Meadows of Dan VA.
Right now we're in a drought and there is only eight inches of water in the pond with the exception of one spot with is about the size of a small auto. This is nothing that has to be done, I would just like to take the opportunity to clean out and level the bottom as far as I can reach.
If we don't get some rain soon, I'll be able to drive in and use the loader! :eek: The pond was originally ditched out with a full size TLB using the loader, so it's not scary sloped. IMO it's one thing to drive up a steep slope and another to park there for a while.
As far as sliding into the pond, worse case is getting stuck. I would prefer a tracked machine but it would also have the same possible starvation issues.

The solution I've been hoping for is to have my neighbor come over with his REALLY BIG excavator. He could park on the flat and reach in. Unfortunately he has been keeping that machine busy improving his farm. Busy guys these farmers.👨‍🌾

As to my original question, does anyone know what tilt (forward/ back not side to side) the machine will operate at without damage?

Last edited: